Hot!Ham & Pickle Sandwiches

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4512
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/06 12:49:33 (permalink)
lleechef
Bill
Bring one of those little pigs down here and I will take pictures of MH taking it to breakfast at the Waffle House!  On a leash of course. 

He would probably walk in and say, throw this on the grill!  As rare as possible please.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6647
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/06 12:56:38 (permalink)
And a side order of hash browns, scattered, light and a side of grits.  Should last him until lunch. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/06 12:58:29 (permalink)
You forgot the jalapenos in the hash browns. Speaking of lunch ... .
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2392
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/06 13:35:19 (permalink)
pnwchef, man all of this ham is killin' me!!!  Looking great sir!  I got my love of good quality ham from my grandmother who baked a HUGE ham at Easter and then made soups and ham salad sandwiches with it.  The sandwiches were just like your ham & pickles, only a difference in name.  I've found a couple of sandwich shops that make it almost as good as Grandma but nothing compares to mowing the lawn and sitting at the table with a couple old of ham salad sandwiches, a bowl of homemade soup and a tall, ice cold glass of unsweetened homemade iced tea and sharing some quality time with a an incredible person.
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2358
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/06 15:19:33 (permalink)
BillyBoy, back then a pig was a pig, now they are all  genetically modified. My Mom was Slovak, Easter was a big deal at our house. We would have a big backed ham, great Kielbasa, hard boiled eggs, polish/Slovak homemade pastries and breads. I would give anything to have that one more time. Poppyseed and Nut rolls were always a tradition. Next Tuesday we are making German sausage, I'm looking forward to that coming out of the smokehouse. Nothing like a grilled charred German sausage, kraut and a hot spicy mustard...........pnwc
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18267
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/06 15:25:54 (permalink)
pnwchef 

Nothing like a grilled charred German sausage, kraut and a hot spicy mustard...........pnwc

Now that sounds like a plan. We just happen to have some fine bratwurst in the freezer, and bacon to cook with the sauerkraut (which we don't have today). But the store's just a couple of miles away, and I think we can get there sometime this week.

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1153
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/06 17:12:03 (permalink)
Deviled Ham Spread (Cook's Country)

12 oz. thinly sliced deli Black Forest ham, torn into 1/2" pieces
4 TBS unsalted butter, softened
5 TBS mayonnaise
3 TBS Dijon mustard
2 TBS sweet pickle relish
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Pulse ham in food processor until coarsely chopped, about 12 pulses.  Add butter and pulse until incorporated, about 10 pulses.
Transfer mixture to bowl and stir in mayo, mustard, relish, pepper, cayenne, and allspice until thoroughly combined.  Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.  (Spread will keep, refrigerated, up to 3 days). 
easydoesit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 495
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/07 05:13:14 (permalink)
pnwc --

You say your mother was Slovak, mine was Czech.  She made something I never see any more, wonder if you are familiar with it.

My best description would be a sauerkraut cracker, but that's really not what it is...or is it?

I'm not even sure how to properly spell it.  At home we called it (phonetically) zell-nee-yak.   I have seen it called zelnak, but can't find that anywhere that makes sense.

Maybe related to zelniky?  The recipe is practically the same as this one, but my mother did it different.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Zelnicky

Mom insisted she had to use lard, not any other kind of shortening.  She would roll them out as thin as possible with a roller, and bake until crisp.  The recipe calls for straight, uniform pieces, but hers was just whatever shape they ended up with after rolling.  The recipe says if they get too brown they get bitter, but mom's always had thin brown crusty edges. 

This was in my childhood, say mid 50's.  Years later at work I saw a Bohemian guy eating those from his lunch bag, and his looked as ragged and unkempt as my moms, so that must be how a lot of Czech mamas made them around here.  After I told him my story, the nice guy gave me the rest of his bag.

pnwchef
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/07 12:28:47 (permalink)
easydoesit

pnwc --

You say your mother was Slovak, mine was Czech.  She made something I never see any more, wonder if you are familiar with it.

My best description would be a sauerkraut cracker, but that's really not what it is...or is it?

I'm not even sure how to properly spell it.  At home we called it (phonetically) zell-nee-yak.   I have seen it called zelnak, but can't find that anywhere that makes sense.

Maybe related to zelniky?  The recipe is practically the same as this one, but my mother did it different.

http://recipes.wikia.com/wiki/Zelnicky

Mom insisted she had to use lard, not any other kind of shortening.  She would roll them out as thin as possible with a roller, and bake until crisp.  The recipe calls for straight, uniform pieces, but hers was just whatever shape they ended up with after rolling.  The recipe says if they get too brown they get bitter, but mom's always had thin brown crusty edges. 

This was in my childhood, say mid 50's.  Years later at work I saw a Bohemian guy eating those from his lunch bag, and his looked as ragged and unkempt as my moms, so that must be how a lot of Czech mamas made them around here.  After I told him my story, the nice guy gave me the rest of his bag.

Easy,I don't remember that one, the one I do remember is this one.
They used to make Prune, cabbage, potato and cheese Perogie, the Pagach was round, like pizza only stuffed with cabbage or potato in a flaky dough..............It was cut into strips in most cases......

Slovak Pagach Bread
© 2008 Barbara Rolek licensed to About.com, Inc.
Slovak / Ukrainian pagach (puh-GAHTCH) is traditionally served at meatless meals as for Advent, Lent and the beautiful Christmas Eve supper known as velija. It is a flat bread with a potato or cabbage filling and makes an excellent vegetarian entree.

easydoesit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 495
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/07 15:19:33 (permalink)
Thanks.  That looks and sounds great, I would love a few strips any time, just curious about the combination of prune and cabbage -- then add the cheese -- possibly some cross purposes at work?  But adventures in eating are everywhere!
pnwchef
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/07 15:38:13 (permalink)
easydoesit

Thanks.  That looks and sounds great, I would love a few strips any time, just curious about the combination of prune and cabbage -- then add the cheese -- possibly some cross purposes at work?  But adventures in eating are everywhere!

easy, I said that wrong, I meant to say the Gal's at the Church would Make Perogie with potato, cabbage, prune, and cheese. The Pagach was with either cabbage or potato..........the Perogie were boiled, tossed in butter, ready to eat. The Pagach was also ready to eat. I would love to have both these again. If I remember right, we had them during Lent..............The only thing I make that Slovak now would be stuffed cabbage and Haluski............take care.........Bill
pnwchef
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/08 10:10:12 (permalink)
It didn't bother me having all this ham around, I figured eat it around the Holidays. Then Billyboy posted some wonderful pictures of grilled baked ham when he was in upstate New York. The grilled ham sandwich picture he showed haunted me for days, I  had to have one. I grew up with Ham and egg on hard rolls for breakfast. I thought way not a grilled rustic sour dough bread wth baked ham and eggs over easy. I rendered down some of the ham fat to fry the ham a bit. It hit the spot, I had it with Greek yogurt, honey, granola and bananas..........

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Ham & Pickle Sandwiches 2013/11/08 11:10:49 (permalink)
Come on Bill-very unfair pictures! By the way-did I miss your apricot glaze recipe? Would love it......
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1