Ham Salad

Author
rumbelly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 235
2004/04/09 22:34:13 (permalink)

Ham Salad

I love ham salad. I don't find it anywhere in grocery stores or delis in my area. I saw it once in a Publix in Florida. Leftover ham from holiday meals is great as ham salad. I chop dills, add mayo and dijon mustard and serve on toast.
Can anyone give some insight as to why it is not more prevalent in stores?

Happy Easter!!

20 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/09 23:15:00 (permalink)
    I rarely see it anymore myself... I used to buy it all the time from a small A&P grocers meat counter for lunch sandwiches. But that store has been long gone (atleast 12 or more years now).
    Sounds good now that ya rattled my memory!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/09 23:26:39 (permalink)
    The lack of ham salad in your area probably depends on the area you live in. Is ham a less popular meat in your area? The deli (or meat department) of almost every grocery around the Peoria area not only make (or sell) a ham salad, but many of them also make another cheaper version called a "sandwich spread", which is made out of the ground up ends of salami, bologna, etc. (anything but ham) that are too small to slice nicely. We also have a popular local manufacturer called "Danner's Salads" that makes, among other items, a ham salad in a retail package as well as in bulk, for area grocers to sell. Also, if I remember right, Bumble Bee has (or had) a ham salad in their line of canned meat products which come with a few crackers in the package, and there used to be a brand called "Spreadables" that put out a canned ham salad, too.
    PCC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/10 01:23:32 (permalink)
    It is certainly available here in Lincoln, NE. I like the ham salad made in a locally owned grocery, Ideal Market, but you can find it in supermarkets and other grocery stores in town.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/10 04:25:15 (permalink)
    Although the pig consciousness here in the Northeast is fairly low, the supermarket deli departments near me always have ham salad. It's amazing how much they vary, from bread-&-butter-pickle-sweet to mustard-hot. I love them all, especially on good soft white bread with a slice of school-bus orange American cheese. An NaCl fiesta!!
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/10 05:24:36 (permalink)
    I love a good fresh ham salad, particularly great on picnics served on white bread with the crust cut off, and cut in triangles.
    I can't really find any available at local stores around here but, Easter is a great time to search I bet! The only thing I like better than Ham salad is Deviled Ham. It's really a God send! I have yet to find a really good recipe for deviled ham...nothing comes close to the way Grandma made it. I find myself buying those little cans of Underwood everytime I happen to pass by it on the grocery shelf though. It's not bad, but it'll never be like Grandma's.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/10 07:29:54 (permalink)
    Ham is a one of the major food groups with the Pennsylvania Dutch and ham salad (sometimes called ham spread) is available in all the farmers' markets in our area.

My little independent village grocery store makes their own and it's so good, I never make it myself. I like it spread on a soft potato roll or on triple decker crustless tea sandwiches paired with pimento cream cheese.

Now I want some for lunch today.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1099
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/10 12:21:59 (permalink)
    Do you happen to have a Heavenly Ham in your area? They have just about the best ham salad I have ever tasted. Overall, I like that store much better than I do Honeybaked Ham.
    SteveB9
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/11 13:27:23 (permalink)
    I'll be making some ham salad tonight if we don't finish the ham today. Hope we don't, cause ham salad is goood! I put just a hint of pickle relish (dill, not sweet) and a few chopped olives. The olives are the secret I think, it just doesn't taste the same without them.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/11 13:49:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by SteveB9

I'll be making some ham salad tonight if we don't finish the ham today. Hope we don't, cause ham salad is goood! I put just a hint of pickle relish (dill, not sweet) and a few chopped olives. The olives are the secret I think, it just doesn't taste the same without them.

Hmmm, great idea. I think I know what I'll be having for supper tonight.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18700
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/11 14:51:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Green_Chile

I love a good fresh ham salad, particularly great on picnics served on white bread with the crust cut off, and cut in triangles.
    I can't really find any available at local stores around here but, Easter is a great time to search I bet! The only thing I like better than Ham salad is Deviled Ham. It's really a God send! I have yet to find a really good recipe for deviled ham...nothing comes close to the way Grandma made it. I find myself buying those little cans of Underwood everytime I happen to pass by it on the grocery shelf though. It's not bad, but it'll never be like Grandma's.

I hadn't thought about Underwood Deviled Ham for a long time. I love that stuff. I mix it with mayonnaise, brown mustard, relish and black pepper, then chill it before spreading it for a sandwich with Boston lettuce. I'm out of here for a quick Kroger visit.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/13 10:44:56 (permalink)
    I agree with RubyRose...PA Dutch ham spread is terrific and I never used to have trouble finding it when I lived in PA.

When I met my husband, I was introduced to German fleischsalat. Literally translated it is "meat salad" but it is really like a chunky ham salad. I think it may also have chunks of bologna in it. Anyway, if you like ham salad and you find yourself in a German deli, try some. It is delish!!
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Ham Salad 2004/04/17 16:59:53 (permalink)
    How is it possible that I have never had this? Sounds great! Gotta find or make some ham salad.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/02/27 18:40:53 (permalink)
    I , too, love a good ham salad. I buy it occasionally from the local stores but don't think of it as "authentic". And I don't always trust it's freshness. I wish there were a deli that sold a good ham salad sandwich.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/02/27 20:35:04 (permalink)
    I was a kid the last time I ate it and haven't thought of it since. Got about 40 pounds of ham at the store so...
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/02/27 23:51:34 (permalink)
    I worked in a butcher shop in high school. They made the "ham salad" using the odds and ends that gathered when we neared the end of a loaf of cheese or meat and any overcuts. It wasn't bad, just inconsistent. (The owner of that shop was a drunk. He kept a 12 pack in the meat cooler and replenished it on his lunch break.)
    The very best ham salad that I've encountered in the Northern Kentucky area comes from Ebert's Meats in Newport, KY. I've been eating it since I was a kid. The former owner of the shop is retired, but still goes in a couple of times a week to make the ham salad. I try it whenever I see it in the stores I frequent, but I've never found one that comes close to Ed's recipe.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/02/28 03:26:48 (permalink)
    My uncle used to be a butcher in a small general store he owned (he's been deceased for sometime now) and he would always make my mother ham salad when she asked and it was out of this world. I'm sure my mother doctored it up in her own way, but I just always remember it being better than the store bought.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/02/28 13:49:43 (permalink)
    Thank GOD for the food processor!! I've always made ham salad from left over, I find I like it better mangled in a processor then just chopped, a little miricle whip some spicey mustard a little sweet relish, chill then spread thick on pumpernikel or chewy rye..
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/03/01 17:48:06 (permalink)
    Ham salad is available in just about all the supermarkets in Western New York. There is one major difference though, one butcher shop chain in the area actually grinds fresh ham to make their ham salad. Other's use the ends, tips etc and add relish and mayo to cover the taste of the inferior ham pieces. Unfortunately, they put out this mix at $5.98 lb which is the same price that the butcher shop that grinds the ham fresh charges. There is a huge difference in taste!
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/03/01 18:35:20 (permalink)
    Other than my own of course, the best of the best Ham Salad I've ever had is made at "Valley Market" , a local market in the town of Mount Gay, WV. Mount Gay is located down in Logan County, West Virginia, deep in the southwestern coal field mountains. It's known throughout West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky as the place to go for Ham Salad and Pimento Cheese salad, items of legend and lore.I was told that they combine both ground country style ham and "city ham" along with secret spices, mayo, relish, and a tad of dijon style mustard in the ham mixture, and a variety of thick shredded yellow cheeses such as cheddars, american and longhorn as well as mayo and other "secret" ingredients. What I can say with total confidence is that it's well worth the 70 odd miles of back road from Charleston West Virgina to Mount Gay to get some of this stuff. If one ever makes it down that way, purchase quite a bit to take home with you, it freezes pretty well. Also, while in that area, travel a couple of miles on into the town and county seat of Logan County, Logan............and go to Morrison's. Morrison's is a Carousel Drive In, a ghost of the late 40's and early fifties that still thrives. Awesome burger, fries , fried oysters and Fried Chicken as well as many other goodies. Both of these places are true examples of small town Americana and as Roadfood worthy as one could ever hope to experience.

RedPatti
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Ham Salad 2005/03/01 19:03:47 (permalink)
    Honeybaked Ham stores sell ground ham and it is incredibly good. It is good with just a little mayo, mustard and chopped pickle and choped pimento (okay maybe a tad of finely chopped white onion). Try it. They sell it in zip lock bags in my neighborhood.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1