Ham and white bean soup

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
2009/10/19 05:39:12 (permalink)

Ham and white bean soup

Wow, I made a great pot of beans yesterday! I soaked a pound of white beans over night and then put them in my crock pot with a ham bone. I cooked this for 8 hours and then added celery, carrots, and onions. I then cooked this for 8 more hours and added parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
I then cooked this overnight and most of the day. This is the best bean soup that I have ever had!! You should all try this recipe for a great winter soup! WONDERFUL!!!!

David O.

30 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/19 10:02:36 (permalink)
    Sounds great!  I love white bean and ham soup on a cold day.  I have a few questions:

Are the white beans cannelini beans?  Will any white bean work?

Is a ham hock the same as a ham bone?

Do you have amounts/measurements for the aromatics/herbs & spices?

While I do enjoy this, I've never actually made it myself.  Thanks.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/19 11:03:53 (permalink)
    Not that you asked ME, but a Ham Hock comes from the very end of a Hog's hind leg, it's usually smoked and although it has a bone in it, it's different than a ham bone. A lot of gristle in it. that's why it needs to be cooked for so long.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/19 11:13:31 (permalink)
    boyardee65

Wow, I made a great pot of beans yesterday! I soaked a pound of white beans over night and then put them in my crock pot with a ham bone. I cooked this for 8 hours and then added celery, carrots, and onions. I then cooked this for 8 more hours and added parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
    I then cooked this overnight and most of the day. This is the best bean soup that I have ever had!! You should all try this recipe for a great winter soup! WONDERFUL!!!!

David O.

Did you use water or some type of broth or stock?

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/19 17:14:15 (permalink)
    Sounds great, one of my favorites.
    cy_dugas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/19 17:31:57 (permalink)
    A family favorite...I use a can of tomato sauce, leftover ham (or a hambone if I happened to have frozen one) and Camelia small white beans.  Great on a cold day.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/25 15:06:14 (permalink)
    I always buy bone in hams for baked ham  & freeze the bone & any trimmings for bean soup.

I cover 3 lbs of dry great northern beans( I like them better than regular navy beans) with cold water, bring to a boil, turn off the heat & cover for 1 hour.  Then thoroughly drain & rinse the beans.  Then in my 18 quart stock pot I add the beans, ham bone & trimmings, 5-6 peeled medium onions, water to cover, pepper.  Bring to boil, skim off foam, lower heat to a bare simmer, no bubbles,do not tightly cover, I just put the lid on at an angle.  I start this right after breakfast & cook the beans all day, occasionally skimming off any foam.  The important thing is not to let the water even have even slight bubbles.  After about 3 hours I taste the broth & add salt(after 3 hours the broth will have picked up most of the salt that is in the hambone & trimmings.  After another 3 hours, I again taste the broth & add more salt as needed.  It takes at least 6-8 hours for the broth to become flavorful & silky.  I then take out the ham bone,cool & remove all bits & pieces of ham & add back to the beans.

I do not like to use the crock pot for bean soup, I like to be able to bring the beans to the first boil & to watch the pot carefully so the bean soup does not cook to quickly.

boyardee65
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/29 18:43:35 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

boyardee65

David O.

Did you use water or some type of broth or stock?

I did not use any stock, just water. The beans cooked so long with the ham bone that they took on the flavor of the ham. Ham hocks are an acceptable substitution if you don't have whole bones available. I happen to have a lot of bones from work. We serve only ham off the bone so we have a bunch laying around.  The herbs are added to your personal taste but not too soon. I add them in the last 4 hours of cooking so as not to muddle the flavors too much. I don't really measure stuff but I like to keep the carrots and celerythe same volume as the onion. 1 whole onion and 2 carrots and 3 ribs of celery.

David O.
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1354
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/30 13:34:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for that measurement (1 onion=2carrots=3 celery) That's a handy thing to know.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/30 14:24:13 (permalink)
    Sounds like a sensational (and easy) recipe. One I'm sure to make with my leftover ham bone from the Christmas Ham.
    Thank You.
    boyardee65
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/10/30 21:27:07 (permalink)
      I have an automatic crock pot that will bring the soup up to a boil and then reduce it to a slow simmer. Makes great braised recipes!! i.e. Short ribs, Corned beef, etc...

David O.

BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1160
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/11/03 13:15:04 (permalink)
    I think if I was in Wasilla right now, a bowl of navy bean soup and some corn bread would be wondeful.  Our days are still in the mid 70's so, I'm going to wait a little bit.  I have a navy bean soup from the 50's that uses the same ingredients as yours Boyardee.  I use a crockpot the day before, to make a ham stock from either ham hocks or ham bones if I have them.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15226
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/11/03 16:16:25 (permalink)
    One dish I find at many small town cafes in this area (Kentuciana) is a "Plate" of Ham and Beans. Served with Cornbread.  I found it a bit odd at first, because the Ham and Beans (and 'juice') are what you describe, and what I have always known as Beans and Ham or whatever SOUP...served in a soup bowl. But it is common to find a dinner plate filled with the beans and ham-bits as the method of service !!
    Either way they are usually really good !
    BelleReve
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/11/05 13:44:36 (permalink)
    I think the term, "white beans" is confusing, when you think about it, there's Navy beans, Great Northerns, and large limas(what we gew up calling butter beans).  I like them all either as a soup or over rice, but I still ask when I see them on a menu.  I did have a neighbor from Miss. who ate his beans over cornbread instead of rice.

I'm waiting for a cold front, you know one of those bleak, overcast, and cool damp days?  Perfect soup weather, and after all this, I want to make a split pea soup. 
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/11/09 04:51:36 (permalink)
    BelleReve

I think if I was in Wasilla right now, a bowl of navy bean soup and some corn bread would be wondeful.  Our days are still in the mid 70's so, I'm going to wait a little bit.  I have a navy bean soup from the 50's that uses the same ingredients as yours Boyardee.  I use a crockpot the day before, to make a ham stock from either ham hocks or ham bones if I have them.

actually, if you were in wasilla having navy bean soup you'd probably have pilot bread instead of corn bread with it.. :)
    post edited by marzsit - 2009/11/09 04:52:48
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/11/09 11:14:37 (permalink)
    My secret ingredient for bean soup is beer.  I add about a cup of beer to the water for cooking the beans.  It adds a an unidentifiable bit of extra flavor to the soup.
    BelleReve
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/11/09 16:31:26 (permalink)
    ok Marzit, now you have to explain what pilot bread is.
    boyardee65
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/12/11 04:14:32 (permalink)
    Pilot bread is nothing more than hard tack or sea biscuits. (Wikipedia) Flour, salt, and water only, no leavening. Very dry and crumbly.

David O.
    Relentless
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/12/11 20:52:12 (permalink)
    A staple in this area for sure. I made a big pot last week & a batch of cornbread to go along with it. Thanksgiving dinner at the in-laws involved a ham. The hostess was going to throw away a very meaty ham bone...which I snatched up and took home:-)...knew what I was going to  do with that!

Well...it could have ended up being red beans & rice.....
    BelleReve
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2009/12/12 13:19:49 (permalink)
    I sorta figured pilot bread was something similar to hard tack, but then it could've been a local specialty.  In Wasilla, I would guess it's probably soup and sourdough bread.

I had a hambone and it was a toss up betwenn red beans and soup - left it up to my dad to decide, and he wanted white beans(navy beans).  
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/24 18:13:46 (permalink)
    boyardee, thanks for posting your soup.  I've been saving up a bag of white beans for this, and now I finally have a nice ham bone to go with it.  Unfortunately I have to go with dried herbs.  Should be almost as good as yours sounded.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/24 18:57:34 (permalink)
    Ruby, thanks for tha tip! Beer... Soup... sounds good to me!! :~)
    Joe
    pattycakes
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/24 19:16:47 (permalink)
    I take a few liberties when making my ham and bean soup
    Using my food processer I use 2 large onions, 2 carrots, 2 ribs of celery and pulse mix to a small chop. You don't want this pulverized.
    I put the mirepoix in a saute pan with about 1 Tbl of canola or olive oii and sweat the vegetables until they are softened and then I add two cloves of crushed garlic and cook about 3 minutes. I then put everything into a 6 qt stock pot and add 1 quart of chicken stock to this. I bring to a slow boil and then turn to medium. I then add a ham bone and 2 cut up ham steaks and let this all simmer for about 3 hours. If needed I add a bit more chicken stock. To this I add 5 cans - drained and rinsed - canellini beans, butter beans, and great northern beans and bring back to simmer. I know there are "purists" who think you should always start with dry beans, but sometimes this is a spur of the moment meal for me. And hubby thinks it is tasty too! When he is going to be a little late, I just pour soup in to a 6 qt slow cooker and leave on low. I will serve this with a peasant type bread from the bakery and a little salad.
    This also has less fat in it because I have butcher find me a bone with not a lot of fatty meat on it and I buy very lean ham steaks.

Ruby, thanks for tha tip! Beer... Soup... sounds good to me!! :~)
    Joe

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/24 20:14:19 (permalink)
    Prle... welcome to Roadfood! Thanks for tha soup tips!!!

Hmm, how did I get on tha last part of your post??
    Joe
    pattycakes
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/24 23:33:19 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

Prle... welcome to Roadfood! Thanks for tha soup tips!!!

Hmm, how did I get on tha last part of your post??
    Joe

Because I am new to this stuff. I thought I was quoting boyardee65, my bad! But I love you Papa Joe! Read your posts all the time.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/25 00:15:59 (permalink)
    The next person I meet that doesn't like Bean Soup in it's various varieties will be the first person I've met that doesn't like Bean Soup.
    My method- soak the beans, whatever kind, overnite, pour the beans in a colander and rinse, put beans back in the pot, add Veggie Broth and water, 2 to 1 ratio veggie broth to water to cover beans about 1 inch over beans, cover & simmer about an hour then add anything & everything you want to add and simmer until beans achieve the consistancy you like. You can't screw up a pot of beans unless you boil the hell out of them with little or no liquid
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/26 15:24:43 (permalink)
    Boyardee65 mentioned getting hambones from work  for soup.  At some jobs I could do the same after a  holiday meal in the office but generally the hambones became so popular - to take home for soup -  that a lot of people wanted them.  Eventually the hambones were raffled in that office!

There is another place where I can get hambones some times and I'll tip the rest of you.  A Sunday School class near our home has a BBQ dinner every year and often the left over bones and skins go begging.  The class is better at cooking than carving.  Sometimes there is a lot of meat left on the discarded parts.  if I get more than one, I freeze it,

It never would occur to me to cook white beans with a smoked bone that had been sopped with sauce but it is very good if you have pintos, or read beans, or kidney beans to season.  Next time there is a church BBQ near you, go and buy a plate or more.  And ask about the bones.

boyardee65
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/26 17:00:33 (permalink)
      Look to your local butcher or deli for ham bones. I just happen to be lucky  as I have a generous boss. We can't give them away fast enough. Some people take them for their dogs although I think that this is a waste.

As FOODBME said, It is fairly impossible to mess up a pot of beans. Low and slow is my motto. It usually takes two days to cook in my house.

David O.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/26 21:37:55 (permalink)
    boyardee65

As FOODBME said, It is fairly impossible to mess up a pot of beans. Low and slow is my motto. It usually takes two days to cook in my house.

David O.

BEANS, BEANS, BEANS,
    The Musical Fruit,
    The More You Eat,
    The More You Toot,
    The More You Toot,
    The Better You Feel,
    So Let's EAT BEANS FOR EVERY MEAL!

I have loved this poem, rhyme, whatever ever since I was a little Kid.
    Pass it on to your Grandkids!
    They'll think you're a Poet and Don't Know it!!
    If you know how to cup your hand under your armpit and squeeze it down to make a Fart Sound,
    You'll be their Hero FOREVER!
    There are just certain things that we need to pass on to our Grandchildren that are TIMELESS---And this is one of them!!

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Ham and white bean soup 2010/01/26 22:56:26 (permalink)
    Foodbme

boyardee65

David O.

BEANS, BEANS, BEANS,
    The Musical Fruit,
    The More You Eat,
    The More You Toot,
    The More You Toot,
    The Better You Feel,
    So Let's EAT BEANS FOR EVERY MEAL!

I have loved this poem, rhyme, whatever ever since I was a little Kid.
    Pass it on to your Grandkids!
    They'll think you're a Poet and Don't Know it!!
    If you know how to cup your hand under your armpit and squeeze it down to make a Fart Sound,
    You'll be their Hero FOREVER!
    There are just certain things that we need to pass on to our Grandchildren that are TIMELESS---And this is one of them!!

Amen! This is a classic that should be passed down from generation to generation. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1