Ham salad sandwich

Author
Marc4022
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 41
2005/11/04 14:47:06 (permalink)

Ham salad sandwich

I've been craving a good ham salad sandwich for some time now. No one makes them any more. The grocery chains, when they offer them, have what is more like mayo flavored ham salad.

Anyone? I'm in Atlanta but will copy/paste your favorite places that serve good ham salad in case I'm ever in the area.

Funny story about ham salad sandwiches. Remember the old drug store lunch counters? Well, years ago there was this particular one in Columbus, Ohio, frequented by a couple of Jewish businessmen. The one happened to like ham salad, but it was not exactly kosher. So he and the deli clerk had an understanding. Whenever he would order a tuna salad sandwich, that was the clerk's cue to serve him a ham salad sandwich instead!!! ;-)

4 Replies Related Threads

dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Ham salad sandwich 2005/11/04 15:11:27 (permalink)
    Ham salad like tuna salad is imho best not eaten in restaurants/sandwich shops.. I was born and raised in so.jersey, every year we had a Krakus(sp) canned ham for the holidays. That and deli sandwich ham was what I thought ham was! Until I moved south..here a ham is a HAM. I still like the canned variaty but I can only find small one pounders. Canned ham IMHO makes the best ham salad. I grate mine on the large grate of a handgrater, add chopped onion, green hamburger relish, Miricle Whip, yellow mustard, salt and pepper. Served on toast with a slice or 2 of cheese..
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Ham salad sandwich 2005/11/09 12:07:35 (permalink)
    We had sandwiches made that way when I was a kid. Also, we would sometimes make them with leftover roast beef or turkey. We had this ancient hand meat grinder that hooked onto the counter top, which I think made them taste even better.
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Ham salad sandwich 2005/11/09 12:54:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Marc4022

I've been craving a good ham salad sandwich for some time now. No one makes them any more. The grocery chains, when they offer them, have what is more like mayo flavored ham salad.

Anyone? I'm in Atlanta but will copy/paste your favorite places that serve good ham salad in case I'm ever in the area.

Funny story about ham salad sandwiches. Remember the old drug store lunch counters? Well, years ago there was this particular one in Columbus, Ohio, frequented by a couple of Jewish businessmen. The one happened to like ham salad, but it was not exactly kosher. So he and the deli clerk had an understanding. Whenever he would order a tuna salad sandwich, that was the clerk's cue to serve him a ham salad sandwich instead!!! ;-)

Since you're in ATL, you know of Honey Baked Ham. I use the leftovers from the bone (before making ham and bean soup with it) and grind the meat up with some mayo, relish and a hard-boiled egg or two. I've really enjoyed the ham salad from that.
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Ham salad sandwich 2005/11/10 11:18:43 (permalink)
    This may or may not be helpful to you:

http://www.smithfieldcollection.com/vcart/itemblock/?itemblock=3

You'll still have to make your own sandwich. BTW, this is *very* salty!

Cathy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1