Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.?????

Author
charlieb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
2012/08/27 18:10:13 (permalink)

Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.?????

Hi All,
 Is there any good hamburger joint in Evansville, Indiana? Like a mom & pop type of place. Other than Five Brothers, and Red Robin.........

19 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/27 20:56:58 (permalink)
    Sure.  Go to the First Avenue Diner at the corner of 1st Avenue and Virginia.  They have a nice, thick juicy one.

They also have maybe the only corned beef hash in a 100 mile radius.  I haven't found better.  When I want a corned beef hash fix I'll drive ten miles to get there.  Ask for it extra crispy.

Another Evansville location is the Bar-B-Q Barn on Diamond Avenue, about two blocks west of U.S. 41.  My suggestion on this one is a little out of the ordinary: Get it without the bun.  It's a little pricy: $4 or $5.  But man, that thing is one smoked hamburger.  It oozes smoke and bursts with flavor.  (Come to think of it, I took Ralph Melton and Lori here.)  They also have a very good smoked chicken.  The barbecue?  Don't bother.  I never come here for barbecue.  I tried it once, and that was enough.  They might be a barbecue restaurant, but their strengths are in their other items.

And, while we're talking hamburgers, the Bon Ton Mini Mart across the Ohio river in Henderson, Kentucky has an excellent double hamburger (in addition to their excellent fried chicken).   I don't think much of their single burgers (too thin), but those double ones are the best in town--and maybe Evansville too.  I suspect it has something to do with the grill it's cooked on.  Try all of them; you be the judge.

post edited by Louis - 2012/08/29 09:41:21
    charlieb
    Junior Burger
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/27 22:35:57 (permalink)
    Hi Louis,
      Thanks so much for your info. I will take up on your suggestion, and let u know what my taste buds has to say.
       If u ever in my area, (Vincennes, In.) I can take u to Moonshine, IL. (53 miles from Vincennes) Population 2, one building, one outhouse. Known for their "Moonburger"! Very good!!!!! You have to be there by 12:28, as they turn off the grill at 12:29 sharp. Not open on Sunday. U can look up "Moonshine Lunch Run". The record is 2,068 hamburger in one day. Charlie.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/28 08:17:24 (permalink)
    OK, Charlie.  Next time I'm up that way I'll let you know.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10177
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/28 08:45:30 (permalink)
    The Moonshine Store has been on my list of places to try for years.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/28 14:03:31 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

The Moonshine Store has been on my list of places to try for years.

Same here, ever since I saw Bill Geist's report about the place on CBS Sunday Morning a few years back. Maybe I'll do it this fall before the weather changes ( a mini-trip report perhaps? )            
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 09:30:05 (permalink)
    Well, if you come this way, Bob, I'll meet you there along with Charlie.  It's only a couple of hours for me.  And if Cliff wants to eat there, that's already recommendation enough!

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 09:33:05 (permalink)
    If you guys do set something up, let me know. 
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 12:52:35 (permalink)
    This sounds like something we ought to pursue. Isn't it amazing how a simple question regarding a food item in a particular area can lead to the possibility of a RF gathering? The only time in the fall that I'm not available for this would be Oct. 1-10, as I'll be on Carolina roadtrip #873 ( approximate. )
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 12:57:44 (permalink)
    This area is really difficult for me to get to.  It is six hours from PIT to Indy and this place is a couple hours past there.  And there is no easy city to fly into.  I hope you guys do have a gathering for Moonshine Store, but there is no guarantee that I will be able to make it.  Sure would love to, though.
    ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1510
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 13:16:40 (permalink)
    I looked at the Moonshine website and saw they open at 6AM but apparently serve no breakfast items, at least I didn't see any. Now years ago after an allnighter I might be ready for a Cheeseburger at 6AM but not these days.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 13:22:40 (permalink)
    Cliff, I could pick you up in Indy ( airport, hotel, whatever ) since I'd have to go in that general direction anyway. And to show what a nice guy I am ( ?!?!?! ), I won't even turn the meter on until we get to the Illinois state line.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 18:13:34 (permalink)
    Bob, when you and Cliff work out something, let me know.  I'll meet you in Vincennes, and take off from there.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 21:07:57 (permalink)
    Louis

Bob, when you and Cliff work out something, let me know.  I'll meet you in Vincennes, and take off from there.

Louis, if Cliff wanted to fly into Indy, I could pick him up there and, like you said, meet up with you in Vincennes. If you have a place to leave your car there, all three of us can go in my car to Moonshine, even though I'll have to toss out about 85% of the crap in my backseat to make room for another body. If he preferred to drive from Pittsburgh, he could leave his car at my place ( I'm roughly an hour northwest of Cincy ) and risk life and limb enjoy a relaxing trip to the burger place with me at the wheel. Just a thought, if anyone's interested.
    post edited by carolina bob - 2012/08/29 21:57:37
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 21:48:15 (permalink)
    Once you two get your potential arrangements worked out, I'll contact Charlie, since he was the one who inaugurated this idea to begin with.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/08/29 21:54:39 (permalink)
    Louis

Once you two get your potential arrangements worked out, I'll contact Charlie, since he was the one who inaugurated this idea to begin with.

Another body? That means the other 15% of my backseat crap will have to go too.
    charlieb
    Junior Burger
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/09/01 11:51:35 (permalink)
    Hi All,
      Sorry (Bob) guys, I may ride my bike there......}}:^).......(weather permitted).......lol. There can be over 100 bikes on a nice day at Moonshine, on a Saturday. If it rain, oh well. Bob, make that 20%.............or might have to clean that trunk out.............}}:^)
       Bob, I remember seeing that CBS Sunday morning show a while back too. I was living in Connecticut at the time. At the same time, I saw a PBS show on the, "10 Top Hamburger in the United States. Two of them is in Connecticut. Ted's Restaurant, steam hamburger. Very Very Good. In Meriden, Ct. And the other, Louis Lunch in New Haven, Ct.
      What???......someone here from Pittsburgh?????  WTF man! Love Pittsburgh. 117 bridges. Ahhh........that place.........yaaaaa.........Strip District.........yeah......... Pam's.......that's it........best place for breakfast.......ah man, miss that place. Hey Cliff, have u been there????? Is it still there????? Pancakes bigger than the ****ing plate! Had to be careful with syrup not to get on lap........}}:^)
       Cliff, Evansville Airport is a small airport. It is a little more than 30 mins ride from Vincennes, maybe 45, and it is north of Evansville city (IN). It is on Rt 41. Indy is 2 hours and 15 mins from Vincennes. So guys, get in touch, my email is charlie8you@aol.com. Subject; Moonburger. Let's work something out so that we all can hook up for a double cheese Moonburger. (I don't think I want to do that again....lol.)
      Laughing @ ces1948.  I use to do that too. Eating breakfast at 2 or 3 in the morning. Now I can't keep my eyes open..........
    charlieb
    Junior Burger
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/09/01 11:59:20 (permalink)
       Oh, btw, I forgot to say something here.......... Don't try going to Moonshine without me, you'll get ****ing lost!!! GPS, will not take u there, or help u.......lol. Is in the middle of nowhere. If u do, ask someone in a pickup truck............(red neck)................lol. Or on a tractor................ (john deere). The very first time I went out there, I couldn't find the place, or Moonshine, IL. for that matter. I was ****ing Piss!!!!!!!.................}}:^)
    charlieb
    Junior Burger
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/09/14 21:11:30 (permalink)
    Hi Louis,
     I have tried the hamburger at First Avenue Diner. I gave it a 7 or 7.5. It is good, and I will come back again, at another time, as I have others hamburger joint to try.  He did not have cheddar cheese there, as cheddar is my fave. The slice of onion, was too thick on one side. Uneven slice. Almost 3/8 thick. I like onion, but not to domineering.  Thanks, Charlie.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hamburger Joint in Evansville, In.????? 2012/09/14 21:37:29 (permalink)
    I ate there a couple of times last week, Charlie.  The quality changes with the cook.  The best one I ever had there was at 11 p.m. The worst one I had was about a week ago at 3 p.m.  They have a guy who waits on tables there.  Very nice.  Quiet.  Nice manners.  But he can't cook!  Some people have the talent and some don't, I guess.

Next time you come to Evansville, try the hamburger (without the bun) at the Bar-B-Q Barn on Diamond Avenue, two or three blocks west of U.S. 41.  It'll be on your left side as you're heading west.  Their smoked hamburger is hard to beat--even if it is $5.50.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1