Hamburger King - Montgomery, AL

Author
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 437
2009/04/22 09:57:01 (permalink)

Hamburger King - Montgomery, AL

How did I miss this place for so long?  After seeing some references to Hamburger King here and elsewhere, I finally made a visit there myself.  It was wonderful!  I regret I have no pictures to share, but I highly recommend that you stop by and try it for yourself if you are in the area.  I know that I'll be going back as much as possible!

Hamburger King has been around 39 years according to the woman who serves the food.  It is not too far off I-85, in the downtown area of Montgomery.  It is, in my opinion, the epitome of a road food joint....small and rather dumpy looking - and I mean this in a good way!  Even after the lunch rush, there were plenty of people going in and out......lots of cops!  Always a good sign.

I sat at the counter and gave my order to the lone woman who was serving everyone.  A man cooked on a seasoned flattop off to one side.  It smelled great!  Telephone orders were also coming in at a brisk pace, yet the woman wrote down nothing!  Of course there is not too much to remember.  The menu is limited to hamburgers, hotdogs, a ham sandwich, and some assorted breakfast sandwiches.  Drinks are in cans or bottles.  Chips are the only sides offered, and dessert is a HoneyBun or frozen Snickers.

My deluxe burger, made "all the way", was fabulous.  A generous hand-formed patty was crispy on its rugged edges and juicy in the middle.  I cannot say enough about the meat.  It was truly delicious.  I detest pre-fab burgers.  "All the way" made for a sloppy and delicious meal.  It was wonderful!  I will be going back - a lot!

4 Replies Related Threads

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Hamburger King - Montgomery, AL 2009/04/22 10:08:55 (permalink)
    I just drove from Mobile to Birmingham via Tuscaloosa a couple of weeks ago, but if I had known about the Hamburger King, I definitely would have taken the Montgomery route. I love burgers and I'm always looking for that next great one.  Maybe I'll hit HK during my next trip through Alabama, which will be next February ( Chicago to Texas to Charleston SC for the Glee Club gathering... whew!! )
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10496
    Re:Hamburger King - Montgomery, AL 2009/04/22 10:38:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report.  Last time I was in Montgomery I ended up at Martin's and Chris' Hot Dogs.  Hamburger King sure sounds like a great Roadfood stop, too!  Limited menus and lots of cops are usually great signs for Roadfood.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6526
    Re:Hamburger King - Montgomery, AL 2009/04/22 16:47:24 (permalink)
    I added it to my stops for when i head south through there again (is it summer yet)

Do you have the street address?
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 437
    Re:Hamburger King - Montgomery, AL 2009/04/23 10:51:19 (permalink)
    The street address is:

547 South Decatur Street

It is only 1 1/2 blocks form the interstate but the street is a one way, going toward the interstate, so you have to do a little backtracking to get there.

Here is a link to a good map:

http://maps.google.com/?q=547%20S%20Decatur%20St,%20Montgomery,%20AL%2036104
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1