Hamburger Seasonings

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tlbartle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
2004/02/29 12:25:46 (permalink)

Hamburger Seasonings

How do you season your hamburger meat? Does it taste just like your favorite Roadfood Burger?

I use Lawry's season salt & Minced onions. I'm definately ready to hear some good ideas!!

33 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18665
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 13:24:20 (permalink)
    I mix my chopped meat with sauteed onions, pepper, salt, garlic powder, dry mustard, dried parsley, a beaten egg, bread crumbs, and sometimes a little Worchestershire sauce. Sometimes I even cook the stuff, if I haven't eaten it all.
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 13:28:45 (permalink)
    I start with ground round,salt and pepper the patties and then grill them.
    redtressed
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 15:30:38 (permalink)
    Depends on my mood. Sometimes I just want very basic, so it's salt, pepper and msg. Anyone remember the 60's trendy Sizzleburgers? Those are salted and peppered then fried in butter or margarine with the addition of Worcestershire Sauce, those remain a favorite here. We get in the mood for Russian Burgers flavored with dill, thyme, and garlic, some powdered beef bouillion or soup base, and have goat cheese melted on top, with a couple pickled beet slices. We also like burgers braised in Maggi's Sauce and Middle Eastern style which is ground lamb and ground beef, cumin, a bit of chili powder, dried mint, salt,pepper, in a pita with feta and tahini sauce.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 15:54:05 (permalink)
    Freshly ground sirloin with salt and pepper, cooked in a smoking hot iron frying pan with just a bit of peanut oil. I tried it once with butter" />. Oh well, I know that U know what happened next... I cook mine to a perfect medium & then top off with freshly cut veggies (and 'maters, of course) , excludingiceberg lettuce. I finally add a toasted, garlic butter infused bun, more than likely served as an after-thought. Don't forget the Vermont extra sharp cheddar, though. And, Oh yeah, I will have a slice or two (or four) of that pepper cured bacon over there. What, you have home fries? Well sure, I'll have some. Isn't that roasted red peppers I see in them? Great. NO! I WANT all of them!!

Going to store NOW, bye...
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 18:24:43 (permalink)
    My seasonings in the beef for the perfect hamburger are none. I am blessed with a village grocery store that grinds a combination of chuck, round, and sirloin every few hours throughout the day. No packaging in the store – they just put it in a big stainless steel tray and wait to weigh it out. No lean, extra lean, regular, just hamburger meat and it’s wonderful.

I just lightly pat it into a circle and cook it, usually pan-fried in searing hot Kosher salt. I might add a grinding of black pepper and sometimes a pat of butter but I want to taste that perfect ground beef.

Craig328
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 18:44:30 (permalink)
    One pound of ground sirloin, add one-half pound of Italian sausage. All the seasonings you need. Makes the perfect hamburger, meatloaf or chopped steak.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 18:57:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Craig328

One pound of ground sirloin, add one-half pound of Italian sausage. All the seasonings you need. Makes the perfect hamburger, meatloaf or chopped steak.

Thanks, I never thought of doing that. What a great idea.
    Zman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 20:29:50 (permalink)
    The juiciest, most flavorfull burgers I ever tasted:
    Place 2-5 lbs. of ground sirloin,chuck, or round (10% fat min.) in a large mixing bowl. Season with fresh ground pepper, a pinch of salt, ground white pepper, cumin, and fennel. Knead vigorously to mix in the spices. Then add finely chopped fresh onion and garlic and knead again 'til well mixed.
    NOW comes the important part ..... Add equal parts of Worcestershire sauce and A-1 steak sauce and knead VIGOROUSLY. Repeat until "wet". ( by "wet",
    I mean until the meat is saturated and will absorb no more!) Form the ground meat into a large ball, cover, and refrigerate for a min. of 24 hrs.
    If you have done this correctly, any wors./A-1 sauce that you may have seen in the bowl WILL be gone!
    Form the patties to your favorite size and let them rest @ room temp. for 1 hr. Sear over very high heat on both sides then put the cover on the grill and close the vents. Cook for another 5 mins. or til med. rare.
    DO NOT FOR ANY REASON "smash" or press these burgers with a spatula while cooking!!
    The end result will be a succulent burger so juicy that the juice will run down your arms! ENJOY!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 20:55:00 (permalink)
    Damn Zman... U know how to get ones stomach screaming for food!
    Hotrodder
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/02/29 21:04:42 (permalink)
    Most of the time I just use pepper and and some soy sauce. Throw it in a hot cast iron skillet open the window and turn on a fan because it can smoke you out of the house.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7032
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 12:37:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

He had a good teacher......
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 12:50:53 (permalink)
    For those who have seen it before, forgive the repetition:

Lamburgers à la Grecque with Cilantro-Mint Chutney

Cilantro-Mint Chutney
    1/3 cup plain yogurt
    2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
    1-1/2 fresh jalapeño chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
    1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger root
    3/4 cup fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves
    1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
    1 large garlic clove, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
    Pinch sugar

Lamburgers
    1 pound lean ground sirloin
    1 pound lean ground lamb
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 ounces)
    1/3 cup minced, pitted Kalamata olives
    1 teaspoon salt, preferably kosher
    6 medium-size pita breads, preferably thicker variety
    1/4 cup fruity olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
    1 teaspoon ground cumin mixed with 1 teaspoon ground coriander
    -
    vegetable oil for brushing on grill rack

Condiments
    Tomato slices
    Thin red onion slices
    Red leaf lettuce

To make the chutney, combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend thoroughly. Cover and chill for at least several hours or as long as 24 hours. In a grill with a cover, prepare a medium-hot fire, preferably with natural hardwood charcoal, for direct-heat cooking.

To make the burgers, combine the sirloin, lamb, garlic, cheese, olives, and salt in a large bowl. Handling the meat as little as possible to avoid compacting it, mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and form the portions into round patties to fit the pita breads. Brush the patties with the olive oil and then sprinkle with the cumin mixture.

When the fire is ready, brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Place the patties on the grill, cover, and cook until browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. With a wide spatula, turn the patties and cook until done to preference. During the last few minutes of cooking, place the pita breads on the outer edge of the grill and turn to toast lightly on both sides.

Place the patties inside the pita bread pockets and add the chutney. Offer the condiments at the table.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 13:03:43 (permalink)
    Grampy, post the pic again.......please.
    Grampy
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 13:10:36 (permalink)
    Avec plaisir:

lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 13:20:47 (permalink)
    Merci beaucoup Grampy!!!!! I love that photo! Makes me hungry!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 13:21:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Zman

Place 2-5 lbs. of ground sirloin,chuck, or round (10% fat min.) in a large mixing bowl. Season with fresh ground pepper, a pinch of salt, ground white pepper, cumin, and fennel. Knead vigorously to mix in the spices. Then add finely chopped fresh onion and garlic and knead again 'til well mixed.
    NOW comes the important part ..... Add equal parts of Worcestershire sauce and A-1 steak sauce and knead VIGOROUSLY. Repeat until "wet". ( by "wet",
    I mean until the meat is saturated and will absorb no more!) Form the ground meat into a large ball, cover, and refrigerate for a min. of 24 hrs.
    If you have done this correctly, any wors./A-1 sauce that you may have seen in the bowl WILL be gone!
    Form the patties to your favorite size and let them rest @ room temp. for 1 hr. Sear over very high heat on both sides then put the cover on the grill and close the vents. Cook for another 5 mins. or til med. rare.
    DO NOT FOR ANY REASON "smash" or press these burgers with a spatula while cooking!!
    The end result will be a succulent burger so juicy that the juice will run down your arms! ENJOY!

To resist that possible urge of wanting to "smash" burgers....after making your patties, insert the handle(tip)of a wooden spoon(rounded)directly in the center of the patty. Doing this decreases the shrinking and swelling of the burger. It'll stay more true to the size you originally made the patty.
    Love sizzleburgers as well, crsipy on the outside, juicy on the inside. Will try the above recipe next though!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 13:32:48 (permalink)
    One of my Pet Peeves: cooks in my kitchen "smashing" the burgers with the spatula! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. You DO NOT want lleechef screaming like a Banshee Indian at you about this!!! "Why are you smashing the heck out of that Angus 10 oz. burger?" "Cuz, chef, it'll cook faster!" "Are you retarded? You just smashed all the juice out!! Move over to the salad station! NOW!"
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 14:28:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
    Originally posted by Zman

To resist that possible urge of wanting to "smash" burgers....after making your patties, insert the handle(tip)of a wooden spoon(rounded)directly in the center of the patty. Doing this decreases the shrinking and swelling of the burger. It'll stay more true to the size you originally made the patty.
    Love sizzleburgers as well, crsipy on the outside, juicy on the inside. Will try the above recipe next though!

Doesn't that make the burgers hard to turn? What if I am cooking 6 burgers and I only have 5 wooden spoons?

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 15:43:02 (permalink)
    To think that I actually laughed!
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 20:34:45 (permalink)
    Adjudicator, Craig328 & Grampy,

What GREAT Ideas!!!! I can't wait to try each of yours!!! Everyone elses does sound good :) I've been looking for some different ideas & boy this is the place to get them, THANKS!!!

Show me more :)

tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/01 20:36:14 (permalink)
    Here's one that I thought was pretty good....

Oklahoma Onion-Fried Burgers
    Recipe By : Juliewynn @ Recipe Cottage
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:15
    Categories :
    Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound ground beef
    1 medium sweet onion -- thinly sliced
    salt and pepper -- to taste
    4 each hamburger buns
    dill pickle slices -- as desired
    Very thinly sliced onions, ground beef patties. Carmelize onions as you fry the burger.
    Simply make your patties the size you wish. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat a skillet (cast iron is best) until hot, add one thinly sliced onion, then add your patties. Lower heat to medium and fry the burger until nicely browned on one side. Flip the burger and onion slices and fry the remaining side of the burger until also well browned. Serve on griddle browned bun with all the trimmings you want. By the way, this is authentic! I'm from SW Oklahoma and make these every few weeks if I don't grill the burgers outside.
    Posted for me by Juliewynn - Tom - A Westminster Receptarist - December 17, 2003
    MORE: I *have* been to Oklahoma. They chug a handful of onions on the grill and mash the hamburger down on it. It really does seem to get at least mildly carmelized. They didn't seem to be cooked over very high heat when I've had them (which was twice). They are certainly not carmelized like you you make for chopped liver or something similar....Mike Beede

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Serving Ideas : Serve with French Fries or chips

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/03 02:28:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

He had a good teacher......

Ya gots to love them teachers! Now I wonder who it was????
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/03 02:36:39 (permalink)
    I normally just use Lawrys Seasoning Salt on my burgers, cook them on a charcoal grill (Weber of course)and toss in a few small hickory branches... On occasion I may toss on some Onion Salt, Garlic or onion powder, but thats normally out of boredom! Burgers come out pretty good the simple way... (Thats as long as one dont stare into space too long and overcook the burgers... Nothing worse then hamburger jerky on a bun)...
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/03 03:04:35 (permalink)
    Some hamburger. Little bit of salt. Little bit of pepper. Cook. Garnish (usually in my case, that means a slice of cheese, some mustard, some onions, some pickles, some tomatoes and some lettuce). Eat. I've never known a burger that needed more than that!
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/05 19:11:54 (permalink)
    Has anyone had a burger at Montana Mikes in Miami, OK? Ate there today but had a chicken fried steak & my co-worker had a burger with jack cheese & mushrooms. That burger was huge! It looked so delicious that when I back in Miami next week, I'm getting the burger! Makes me drool just thinking about it.
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/05 19:25:50 (permalink)
    Every one has such deeliscious recipes! I am a vegetarian and have yet to find a decent veggie burger! Does anyone have any ideas on how to make that soy patty taste good? I dream of a real hamburger!
    Grampy
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/05 19:34:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zussers

Every one has such deeliscious recipes! I am a vegetarian and have yet to find a decent veggie burger! Does anyone have any ideas on how to make that soy patty taste good? I dream of a real hamburger!

Place your burger and a portobella mushroom in a bowl with some good olive oil and minced garlic to coat. Grill the mushroom, bottom first, the burger, and a slice of red onion. Flip. When just done, put the burger in the mushroom, top with onion and a slice of your favorite cheese. Cover grill until cheese is just melted. Serve on an olive oil grilled roll.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/06 01:06:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

quote:
    Originally posted by zussers

Place your burger and a portobella mushroom in a bowl with some good olive oil and minced garlic to coat. Grill the mushroom, bottom first, the burger, and a slice of red onion. Flip. When just done, put the burger in the mushroom, top with onion and a slice of your favorite cheese. Cover grill until cheese is just melted. Serve on an olive oil grilled roll.

Excuse me,can a meat eater have one of those,if so pass it this way please.That soound really good Grampy!
    Grampy
    RE: Hamburger Seasonings 2004/03/06 10:48:33 (permalink)
    Tiki: My son is a vegetarian. In this case, necessity is the father of invention.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1