The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hamburgers in Hendersonville

VMC

• Total Posts: 11
Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 02/14/07 5:12 PM (permalink)
There is no better place than Miss Piggy's and Harry's, right off 64,near Lowe's.............meaty burgers,juicy and reasonably priced.........other menu items, as well, but if you love burgers, and are near HVL, this IS the place..................

Sundancer7

RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 02/14/07 5:27 PM (permalink)
    Thanks VMC for your post and interest but it would help if we knew where Hendersonville was. There are many in the USA.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Kiowa1

• Total Posts: 189
      RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 02/14/07 5:38 PM (permalink)
      My guess is North Carolina...

VMC

RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 02/14/07 7:12 PM (permalink)
        Kiowa-right,you are-NC it is...............

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
          RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 02/15/07 6:05 PM (permalink)
          Now wasn't that simple? Sundancer (I still love SUNDANGER!!!!) you expressed it such gentle and nice terms. BTW, who eats in Hendensoville, NC? Asheville is just down the road.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
            RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 02/15/07 6:26 PM (permalink)
            never heard of the place, or the restaurant for that matter... whats so special about it?

VMC

RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 02/15/07 7:09 PM (permalink)
              Some folks like the smallness of Hendersonville, and what makes it special ,besides the burgers and the other freshly cooked and prepared items, are the friendly staff ,the service and the prices..........

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 02/15/07 7:22 PM (permalink)
                Dearfolk,
                Hendersonville has GREAT thrift and used book stores, plus (the last time I was there, anyhow, it had) an AM radio station that plays nothing but big band music from the 1930's and 1940's (all-but-forgotten people like Larry Clinton with Bea Wain and/or Freddy Martin & His Singing Saxophone), and all the announcerssssshhh had whistle-teeth. Ssssshhhay -- doessssshhhn't that ssssshhhound exxxxxccccchhhiting?
                Ssssshhhibilantly, Ort. Carlton in Ssssshhhenssssshhhational Athenssssshhh, Georgia.
                P. S. (No more whistle-teeth imitations, folks!) Northwestish of Hendersonville is Mills River, North Carolina. The Mills River Restaurant, at the junction of N. C. routes 280 and 191 (which leads up to Asheville along the west bank of the French Broad River -- a gorgeous drive!) is a wondrous eatery, well worth a detour. It's a meat-and-three place run by a Greek-American family. You can reach it from I-26 by getting off at N. C. 280 and heading west toward Brevard.

Sundancer7

RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 02/15/07 7:25 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by V960

Now wasn't that simple? Sundancer (I still love SUNDANGER!!!!) you expressed it such gentle and nice terms. BTW, who eats in Hendensoville, NC? Asheville is just down the road.

As you can see, there are several Hendersonville's. I could not believe there are three in PA. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hendersonville, TN, US
                  Sumner County
                  Hendersonville, NC, US
                  Henderson County
                  Hendersonville, SC, US
                  Colleton County
                  Hendersonville, PA, US
                  Butler County
                  Hendersonville, PA, US
                  Mercer County
                  Hendersonville, PA, US
                  Washington County

Paul E. Smith
                  Knoxville, TN

drpep

• Total Posts: 335
                    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 02/15/07 7:58 PM (permalink)
                    Does anybody in this thread have any ties to this great burger place in Hendersonville?

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                      RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 02/15/07 8:30 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Sundancer7
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by V960

As you can see, there are several Hendersonvilles. I could not believe there are three in PA. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hendersonville, PA, US
                      Butler County
                      Hendersonville, PA, US
                      Mercer County
                      Hendersonville, PA, US
                      Washington County

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

Sundancer,
                      Which one of them has a post office, or do any of them? I know the one in Tennessee does, as well as the NC one (they're both good-sized), but I don't think the SC one does.
                      Count me in for liking "Sundanger," although we do have emollients for that problem!
                      Not Going Postal-ly, Ort. Carlton in Often-Berserk-Without-Me Athens, Georgia.

sauceman

• Total Posts: 184
                        RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 03/28/07 12:25 PM (permalink)
                        VMC: I'm writing a magazine article on hamburgers in the Mountain South (actually more about the people who serve them)and am interested in some more detail about this place in Hendersonville. Mushroom and Swiss, blue cheese, and chipotle are out as far as this article goes. The burgers that I'm covering are traditional and unadorned. Many thanks for posting the tip.

Fred Sauceman

BunglingBill

• Total Posts: 218
                          RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 03/28/07 12:35 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by VMC

There is no better place than Miss Piggy's and Harry's, right off 64,near Lowe's.............meaty burgers,juicy and reasonably priced.........other menu items, as well, but if you love burgers, and are near HVL, this IS the place..................

Never been to those burger places, but we frequently visit Hendersonville (along with Banner Elk and Lake Lure). Hendersonville is a GREAT town to visit: quaint, friendly people, great scenery. We have even contemplated buying some real estate (a cabin or small cottage) there.

Next time we're in your town we will try Miss Piggy's, since we are HUGE fans of both hamburgers AND of North Carolina .

Thank's for the tip!

MaggietheCat2

• Total Posts: 21
                            RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Sun, 06/3/07 11:07 AM (permalink)
                            I grew up in Hendersonville and Piggys is a summer tradition. It used to only be open during the summer but I think they are open year 'round now. I have many memories of eating ice cream on hot summer nights with my parents and looking at all the stuff in that place. It's kind of like a nostalgia dumping ground-Shoney's big boys, those weird plastic big eared mouse dolls. It started out as just an ice cream spot but now serves burgers and fries and the like. You haven't really experienced H-ville until you've been to Piggy's. Next time I go home I'll take some pics!

VMC

RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Sun, 06/3/07 5:34 PM (permalink)
                              Piggy's is open all year, but in the winter they seemed to be closed Sunday and Monday. Was there Memorial Day for some ice cream, and,as usual, the line was out the door-but, worth the wait!!

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Tue, 06/5/07 12:10 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                                Hendersonville has GREAT thrift and used book stores, plus (the last time I was there, anyhow, it had) an AM radio station that plays nothing but big band music from the 1930's and 1940's (all-but-forgotten people like Larry Clinton with Bea Wain and/or Freddy Martin & His Singing Saxophone), and all the announcerssssshhh had whistle-teeth. Ssssshhhay -- doessssshhhn't that ssssshhhound exxxxxccccchhhiting?
                                Ssssshhhibilantly, Ort. Carlton in Ssssshhhenssssshhhational Athenssssshhh, Georgia.
                                P. S. (No more whistle-teeth imitations, folks!) Northwestish of Hendersonville is Mills River, North Carolina. The Mills River Restaurant, at the junction of N. C. routes 280 and 191 (which leads up to Asheville along the west bank of the French Broad River -- a gorgeous drive!) is a wondrous eatery, well worth a detour. It's a meat-and-three place run by a Greek-American family. You can reach it from I-26 by getting off at N. C. 280 and heading west toward Brevard.

Oh my. Ort, you're hitting all my buttons. We're going to have to detour to Hendersonville for those book stores.....

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                  RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Tue, 06/5/07 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                  I lived in Horseshoe NC which is between Hendersonville and Ashville for a year. I loved it there.
                                  With the great music of the swing era as described by Ort, music you could recognize and remember and the book store in the same building as the Post Office. Hard cover books were 3 for $10 (brand new in most cases) and the pocketbooks 3/$5. The hot dog joint "Hot Dog King" (I think) in downtown Hendersonville always has lines outside and inside and parking is at a premium. Love it.

Unfortunately Hendersonville. like every place else is growing too darn fast. Bungling Bill y'all 'll find property is twice what y'all remember it being. Every mountain is being covered with million dollar homes and the Walmarts and Gas Stations are right behind. Say La Vee !!!!!!!!!!!

VMC

RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Tue, 06/5/07 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                    Mariner-Sad, but true,developing too quickly but fortunately some of the older eateries are still around and doing well. The Mills River Rest, serves the best liver and onions, as well as other wonderful food.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                      RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Tue, 06/5/07 8:14 PM (permalink)
                                      I could walk to the Mills River Rest from my little abode and have been there a number of times---every time was a winner, but if they were giving away the liver and onions and throwing in a 2-week trip to Hawaii I would not touch it. Hate liver.

A dear friend who lives on 8-plus acres in the mountains between Hendersonville and Bravard likes the Chinese Buffet place on the highway. From the shape of some of the people who eat there a lot I would think that calorie counting is not very important. But there sure is a lot of food for the money.

From the Mills River rest head west to the trafic light and make a left toward H'ville---on the right in front of a hardware store there is a guy with a cart that does a great bar-b-q business every afternoon. Always busy, never tried it but it must be good. Since I love to cook I ate in more than out so that is about the extent of my roadfood knowledge of the area.

VMC

RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Tue, 06/5/07 8:21 PM (permalink)
                                        Just bought some of that BBQ last week off the BBQ truck-he is there on Thursday and Fridays, not sure about the other days-and it is wonderful!!! He comes in from Black Mountain. I'll skip the Chinese place

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15058
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 06/6/07 8:50 AM (permalink)

FYI Folks, This coming week is the great W C HANDY BLUES & BBQ FESTIVAL in HENDERSON,Kentucky. Henderson (pop 28,000+-)sits on the banks of the Ohio River directly across from Evansville, Indiana
                                          If you have never attended any of the events of the week-long Blues and BBQ Festival, you need to change your life and participate. It is a great (and inexpensive) way to celebrate both the food and the music. Henderson, Kentucky is a great place to visit.

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                            RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 06/6/07 10:28 AM (permalink)
                                            Since I live there, I can vouch for that.

And while there, be sure to check out the Bon Ton Mini Mart at the corner of U.S. 41 and 351 for some really good--and different--fried chicken.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                                              RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 06/6/07 11:05 AM (permalink)
                                              Al & Louis, this little tidbit about the BBQ & Blues Festival deserves a posting of its own, because you sure have strayed a long way from North Carolina. Expect most of our RF-ers would appreciate the merits of both.

QFan
                                              Bonita Springs, FL

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                                                RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 06/6/07 7:08 PM (permalink)
                                                You're right. I thought about that after I posted that last comment. I think I'll let Al start a thread about the W.C. Handy Blues and Barbecue Festival in Henderson, Kentucky--if he wants to.

Awsi Dooger

• Total Posts: 23
                                                  RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Wed, 06/13/07 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                                  I'm amazed to find a thread specifically about Hendersonville. My sister and her family moved there from Florida last year. I visited at Christmas but we didn't make it to Piggy's. I'll visit again in August, and this time I'll try it.

VMC

• Location: Hendersonville, NC
                                                    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 06/14/07 2:43 AM (permalink)
                                                    Awsi, I,too, am a newcomer to the area ( from FL, as well) and I do hope you try Piggy's-and when there, don;t forget the ice cream!! I don;t think you will be disappointed.

waiterhell

• Total Posts: 88
                                                      • Location: winston-salem, NC
                                                      RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 06/14/07 6:38 AM (permalink)
                                                      This is an old Key Wierd buddy's place on downtown Main St in Hendersonville NC -

www.visitnc.com/tools_property_detail.asp?propertyid=37913

It's an old soda fountain with a lot of heritage.

Check it out....and tell him Brantley sent you thru Roadfood.com, please!?

VMC

• Location: Hendersonville, NC
                                                        RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville Thu, 06/14/07 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                                        Waiter, you are right-Mike's on Main is a great place in HVL, as well-but the hamburgers at Piggy's are, to me, a bit better. However, Mike's is worth a visit and the prices are great!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com