Hamburgers in Hendersonville

Author
VMC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2007/02/14 17:12:28 (permalink)

Hamburgers in Hendersonville

There is no better place than Miss Piggy's and Harry's, right off 64,near Lowe's.............meaty burgers,juicy and reasonably priced.........other menu items, as well, but if you love burgers, and are near HVL, this IS the place..................

27 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/14 17:27:41 (permalink)
    Thanks VMC for your post and interest but it would help if we knew where Hendersonville was. There are many in the USA.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Kiowa1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/14 17:38:18 (permalink)
    My guess is North Carolina...
    VMC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/14 19:12:35 (permalink)
    Kiowa-right,you are-NC it is...............
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/15 18:05:25 (permalink)
    Now wasn't that simple? Sundancer (I still love SUNDANGER!!!!) you expressed it such gentle and nice terms. BTW, who eats in Hendensoville, NC? Asheville is just down the road.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/15 18:26:03 (permalink)
    never heard of the place, or the restaurant for that matter... whats so special about it?
    VMC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/15 19:09:52 (permalink)
    Some folks like the smallness of Hendersonville, and what makes it special ,besides the burgers and the other freshly cooked and prepared items, are the friendly staff ,the service and the prices..........
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/15 19:22:31 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Hendersonville has GREAT thrift and used book stores, plus (the last time I was there, anyhow, it had) an AM radio station that plays nothing but big band music from the 1930's and 1940's (all-but-forgotten people like Larry Clinton with Bea Wain and/or Freddy Martin & His Singing Saxophone), and all the announcerssssshhh had whistle-teeth. Ssssshhhay -- doessssshhhn't that ssssshhhound exxxxxccccchhhiting?
    Ssssshhhibilantly, Ort. Carlton in Ssssshhhenssssshhhational Athenssssshhh, Georgia.
    P. S. (No more whistle-teeth imitations, folks!) Northwestish of Hendersonville is Mills River, North Carolina. The Mills River Restaurant, at the junction of N. C. routes 280 and 191 (which leads up to Asheville along the west bank of the French Broad River -- a gorgeous drive!) is a wondrous eatery, well worth a detour. It's a meat-and-three place run by a Greek-American family. You can reach it from I-26 by getting off at N. C. 280 and heading west toward Brevard.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/15 19:25:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Now wasn't that simple? Sundancer (I still love SUNDANGER!!!!) you expressed it such gentle and nice terms. BTW, who eats in Hendensoville, NC? Asheville is just down the road.

As you can see, there are several Hendersonville's. I could not believe there are three in PA. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hendersonville, TN, US
    Sumner County
    Hendersonville, NC, US
    Henderson County
    Hendersonville, SC, US
    Colleton County
    Hendersonville, PA, US
    Butler County
    Hendersonville, PA, US
    Mercer County
    Hendersonville, PA, US
    Washington County

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    drpep
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/15 19:58:11 (permalink)
    Does anybody in this thread have any ties to this great burger place in Hendersonville?
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/02/15 20:30:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

As you can see, there are several Hendersonvilles. I could not believe there are three in PA. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hendersonville, PA, US
    Butler County
    Hendersonville, PA, US
    Mercer County
    Hendersonville, PA, US
    Washington County

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Sundancer,
    Which one of them has a post office, or do any of them? I know the one in Tennessee does, as well as the NC one (they're both good-sized), but I don't think the SC one does.
    Count me in for liking "Sundanger," although we do have emollients for that problem!
    Not Going Postal-ly, Ort. Carlton in Often-Berserk-Without-Me Athens, Georgia.
    sauceman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/03/28 12:25:37 (permalink)
    VMC: I'm writing a magazine article on hamburgers in the Mountain South (actually more about the people who serve them)and am interested in some more detail about this place in Hendersonville. Mushroom and Swiss, blue cheese, and chipotle are out as far as this article goes. The burgers that I'm covering are traditional and unadorned. Many thanks for posting the tip.

Fred Sauceman
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/03/28 12:35:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VMC

There is no better place than Miss Piggy's and Harry's, right off 64,near Lowe's.............meaty burgers,juicy and reasonably priced.........other menu items, as well, but if you love burgers, and are near HVL, this IS the place..................

Never been to those burger places, but we frequently visit Hendersonville (along with Banner Elk and Lake Lure). Hendersonville is a GREAT town to visit: quaint, friendly people, great scenery. We have even contemplated buying some real estate (a cabin or small cottage) there.

Next time we're in your town we will try Miss Piggy's, since we are HUGE fans of both hamburgers AND of North Carolina .

Thank's for the tip!
    MaggietheCat2
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/03 11:07:56 (permalink)
    I grew up in Hendersonville and Piggys is a summer tradition. It used to only be open during the summer but I think they are open year 'round now. I have many memories of eating ice cream on hot summer nights with my parents and looking at all the stuff in that place. It's kind of like a nostalgia dumping ground-Shoney's big boys, those weird plastic big eared mouse dolls. It started out as just an ice cream spot but now serves burgers and fries and the like. You haven't really experienced H-ville until you've been to Piggy's. Next time I go home I'll take some pics!
    VMC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/03 17:34:23 (permalink)
    Piggy's is open all year, but in the winter they seemed to be closed Sunday and Monday. Was there Memorial Day for some ice cream, and,as usual, the line was out the door-but, worth the wait!!
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/05 12:10:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    Hendersonville has GREAT thrift and used book stores, plus (the last time I was there, anyhow, it had) an AM radio station that plays nothing but big band music from the 1930's and 1940's (all-but-forgotten people like Larry Clinton with Bea Wain and/or Freddy Martin & His Singing Saxophone), and all the announcerssssshhh had whistle-teeth. Ssssshhhay -- doessssshhhn't that ssssshhhound exxxxxccccchhhiting?
    Ssssshhhibilantly, Ort. Carlton in Ssssshhhenssssshhhational Athenssssshhh, Georgia.
    P. S. (No more whistle-teeth imitations, folks!) Northwestish of Hendersonville is Mills River, North Carolina. The Mills River Restaurant, at the junction of N. C. routes 280 and 191 (which leads up to Asheville along the west bank of the French Broad River -- a gorgeous drive!) is a wondrous eatery, well worth a detour. It's a meat-and-three place run by a Greek-American family. You can reach it from I-26 by getting off at N. C. 280 and heading west toward Brevard.

Oh my. Ort, you're hitting all my buttons. We're going to have to detour to Hendersonville for those book stores.....
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/05 12:56:04 (permalink)
    I lived in Horseshoe NC which is between Hendersonville and Ashville for a year. I loved it there.
    With the great music of the swing era as described by Ort, music you could recognize and remember and the book store in the same building as the Post Office. Hard cover books were 3 for $10 (brand new in most cases) and the pocketbooks 3/$5. The hot dog joint "Hot Dog King" (I think) in downtown Hendersonville always has lines outside and inside and parking is at a premium. Love it.

Unfortunately Hendersonville. like every place else is growing too darn fast. Bungling Bill y'all 'll find property is twice what y'all remember it being. Every mountain is being covered with million dollar homes and the Walmarts and Gas Stations are right behind. Say La Vee !!!!!!!!!!!
    VMC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/05 19:02:34 (permalink)
    Mariner-Sad, but true,developing too quickly but fortunately some of the older eateries are still around and doing well. The Mills River Rest, serves the best liver and onions, as well as other wonderful food.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/05 20:14:37 (permalink)
    I could walk to the Mills River Rest from my little abode and have been there a number of times---every time was a winner, but if they were giving away the liver and onions and throwing in a 2-week trip to Hawaii I would not touch it. Hate liver.

A dear friend who lives on 8-plus acres in the mountains between Hendersonville and Bravard likes the Chinese Buffet place on the highway. From the shape of some of the people who eat there a lot I would think that calorie counting is not very important. But there sure is a lot of food for the money.

From the Mills River rest head west to the trafic light and make a left toward H'ville---on the right in front of a hardware store there is a guy with a cart that does a great bar-b-q business every afternoon. Always busy, never tried it but it must be good. Since I love to cook I ate in more than out so that is about the extent of my roadfood knowledge of the area.

VMC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/05 20:21:06 (permalink)
    Just bought some of that BBQ last week off the BBQ truck-he is there on Thursday and Fridays, not sure about the other days-and it is wonderful!!! He comes in from Black Mountain. I'll skip the Chinese place
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15231
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/06 08:50:32 (permalink)

FYI Folks, This coming week is the great W C HANDY BLUES & BBQ FESTIVAL in HENDERSON,Kentucky. Henderson (pop 28,000+-)sits on the banks of the Ohio River directly across from Evansville, Indiana
    If you have never attended any of the events of the week-long Blues and BBQ Festival, you need to change your life and participate. It is a great (and inexpensive) way to celebrate both the food and the music. Henderson, Kentucky is a great place to visit.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 729
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/06 10:28:53 (permalink)
    Since I live there, I can vouch for that.

And while there, be sure to check out the Bon Ton Mini Mart at the corner of U.S. 41 and 351 for some really good--and different--fried chicken.
    QFan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 642
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/06 11:05:47 (permalink)
    Al & Louis, this little tidbit about the BBQ & Blues Festival deserves a posting of its own, because you sure have strayed a long way from North Carolina. Expect most of our RF-ers would appreciate the merits of both. " />" />

QFan
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 729
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/06 19:08:52 (permalink)
    You're right. I thought about that after I posted that last comment. I think I'll let Al start a thread about the W.C. Handy Blues and Barbecue Festival in Henderson, Kentucky--if he wants to.
    Awsi Dooger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/13 22:44:19 (permalink)
    I'm amazed to find a thread specifically about Hendersonville. My sister and her family moved there from Florida last year. I visited at Christmas but we didn't make it to Piggy's. I'll visit again in August, and this time I'll try it.
    VMC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/14 02:43:53 (permalink)
    Awsi, I,too, am a newcomer to the area ( from FL, as well) and I do hope you try Piggy's-and when there, don;t forget the ice cream!! I don;t think you will be disappointed.
    waiterhell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/14 06:38:35 (permalink)
    This is an old Key Wierd buddy's place on downtown Main St in Hendersonville NC -

www.visitnc.com/tools_property_detail.asp?propertyid=37913

It's an old soda fountain with a lot of heritage.

Check it out....and tell him Brantley sent you thru Roadfood.com, please!?
    VMC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Hamburgers in Hendersonville 2007/06/14 18:37:48 (permalink)
    Waiter, you are right-Mike's on Main is a great place in HVL, as well-but the hamburgers at Piggy's are, to me, a bit better. However, Mike's is worth a visit and the prices are great!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1