Hamburgers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Namho
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 137
2006/11/02 17:19:49 (permalink)

Hamburgers

Do any of you know a good way to hold hamburgers until they are sold? I have thought about putting them in a steam pan with a bit of beef broth until they are sold. I know the best way is to cook as ordered but sometimes that not a option. Thanks in advance for the help!

31 Replies Related Threads

Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/02 17:46:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Namho

Do any of you know a good way to hold hamburgers until they are sold? I have thought about putting them in a steam pan with a bit of beef broth until they are sold. I know the best way is to cook as ordered but sometimes that not a option. Thanks in advance for the help!

I personally wouldn't want to eat a burger that wasn't prepared to order. I think one problem is, that in order to keep them for extended periods at the proper tempurature to prevent the growth of bacteria, the burgers will turn into gray hockey pucks. I was at a fall festival a few weeks ago and the smell of barbeque (in my neck of the woods, barbeque means burgers and dogs cooked outside) lured me over to the food consessions. I asked for a burger and was handed something out of a bin that was wrapped in paper and foil. I took one bite of this dry disc that was stuck to the bun, and it went right in the trash.
    Namho
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/02 17:50:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pigiron

quote:

I personally wouldn't want to eat a burger that wasn't prepared to order. I think one problem is, that in order to keep them for extended periods at the proper tempurature to prevent the growth of bacteria, the burgers will turn into gray hockey pucks. I was at a fall festival a few weeks ago and the smell of barbeque (in my neck of the woods, barbeque means burgers and dogs cooked outside) lured me over to the food consessions. I asked for a burger and was handed something out of a bin that was wrapped in paper and foil. I took one bite of this dry disc that was stuck to the bun, and it went right in the trash.

I agree fresh is best but I do know there is a way to do this. I have spoke to a few people that do this but I wanted some more input.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/02 18:49:06 (permalink)
    Back in the early 90's when I worked at the Indy Zoo, food service was provided by Service America. All they would do is pre-cook the burgers in the morning. After they where done, placed them in hotel pans and topped off with water. Before a rush they would slap them in buns and wrap them up in wax paper and stick them on a warmer. NASTY BURGERS to say the least. Told one of the kids about this when I worked in a restraunt about 5 winters ago. Kid tried this and received more complaints that you could shake a stick at.. If your going to do pre cooks, clock your rush times and quantitys. If you expect a lunch rush at 12:05, drop a bunch of burgers on the grill a few minutes earlier. This way as soon as the order comes in you can ship them out without any hold times.

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/02 19:48:39 (permalink)
    I agree with Vic. Pre-cooking burgers might be a solution. The only draw back to this is that your sales projections must be on target for the particular day in question. I would never attempt to hold a cooked burger (or anything else for that matter) in a warming tray and/or a holding bin for more than 30 minutes as a max. A more realistic approach would be no longer than 5 minutes, IMO.
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/02 19:51:43 (permalink)
    i wouldn't serve anything i wouldn't eat myself.
    Namho
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 07:23:30 (permalink)
    Well I tried it today and it worked great.....Yes you can hold a burger for quite some time without ruining it
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 13:16:30 (permalink)
    Holding them assumes you are cooking all well done and either chilling or holding at a safe temp. I can't think of anything better to breed bacteria than partially cooked burgers sitting in tepid beef broth.
    Namho
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 13:23:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

Holding them assumes you are cooking all well done and either chilling or holding at a safe temp. I can't think of anything better to breed bacteria than partially cooked burgers sitting in tepid beef broth.

Willy the key word there was hold....Why would anyone use "tepid" beef broth to hold anything to temp?? BTW, yes well done!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 13:56:53 (permalink)
    I have a mushroom burger patti home recipe using cream of mushroom soup. Thats it, paties cooked first and then simmered in the soup. Then the patties just sit hot, in a covered pot on the stove, till folks are ready for one. Works for me.
    Joe
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 14:16:51 (permalink)
    Papajoe-that sounds wonderful,simple and great for a crowd!!
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 14:48:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Ann! Yep, It's real easy and my crowd likes it. You can even dress it up w/ some fresh mushrooms, but I usually don't.

My point for posting here was that they "hold" fine in the soup.
    Joe
    Namho
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 14:55:42 (permalink)
    Papajoe I agree with you, but it seems the ones who dont have a clue are the first ones to criticize... I am noticing that very quick about this forum. Any way I got my answer.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/04 21:13:53 (permalink)
    I would think holding burgers in a hot au jus might be interesting; either the sort of au jus that some restaurants dunk their prime rib in prior to service (of course it helps to have the pan drippings from the rib to make it ... ahem), or a regular commercial au jus, or even the style of au jus that results from making Italian Beef.
    A sort of Italian Beef of the hamburger world.
    I'd serve it with a nice fresh, slightly toasted kaiser role and some roast peppers on top ... maybe even a slice of smoked provalone (melted under the broiler if near one).
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/05 01:10:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I have a mushroom burger patti home recipe using cream of mushroom soup. Thats it, paties cooked first and then simmered in the soup. Then the patties just sit hot, in a covered pot on the stove, till folks are ready for one. Works for me.
    Joe

Papa.. Being a chili fanatic you should know from experience that the longer the beef (even cooked) sits in liquid, the more it breaks down (fat and muscle starting to disolve). Especially ground burger.

Namho, with the above being said, and you being dead set on holding them in liquid... Let me suggest to seriously sear the outsides to help on the hold life there..
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/05 10:14:05 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Willly

Willy the key word there was hold....Why would anyone use "tepid" beef broth to hold anything to temp?? BTW, yes well done!

I've just seen enough burgers sitting in liquid next to a grill (mostly at no name delis in NYC) that this came to mind. When I was doing institutional food service, we had perforated pans that fit inside of our hotel pans. Standard practice was to grill off the burgers, cover with plastic wrap, then foil and hold in hot closet until service -- they held well through dinner time. My concern simply was that hold burgers in liquid at 140+ degrees will give you a "stewed" taste pretty quickly. The thermal mass of a pan of liquid is much higher that simply holding the burgers at temp -- The burgers will continue to cook at that temp.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/05 10:35:41 (permalink)
    quote:

Well I tried it today and it worked great.....Yes you can hold a burger for quite some time without ruining it

So how did you do it? Soup, water, wraped, unwraped, perspiring minds need to know.
    Jack
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/05 10:43:18 (permalink)
    When precooking the burgers was mentioned initially, that was it; precooking. I would NEVER eat precooked burgers that were in reality "finished off" in a liquid solution. PUKE. The precooked burgers (say cooked to medium-rare), should be stored in the reach-in at minimum; then finished off on a very hot grill/griddle.
    Tommy B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 144
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/05 11:09:43 (permalink)
    Zartic foods has a product called "sizzle sack" burgers.

They are precooked, in an ovenable sleeve, and they stay juicy for a long time.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/05 11:37:16 (permalink)
    Namho, I'm curious ... why do you need to hold burgers hot for serving??
    Not allowed to cook at time of service (ie. at streetside etc.)?
    No facilities for cooking them at time of service?
    Not practical due to volume of business? ...?
    Kinsman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 16:02:43 (permalink)
    I dunno. When I want to extract flavor from something, I simmer it in liquid.

Tell you what....do some research. Make six burger patties, cook them, and hold two in each of, say, three kinds of liquid. Then make two fresh burgers. Plate them all at the same time. Serve one of each plain or on a bun, and one of each using identical dressings. Compare bites from all six burgers. Have six friends help you, and post your results.

I'll bet you already know which ones will be best.
    Namho
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 18:52:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Namho, I'm curious ... why do you need to hold burgers hot for serving??
    Not allowed to cook at time of service (ie. at streetside etc.)?
    No facilities for cooking them at time of service?
    Not practical due to volume of business? ...?

Not practical due to volume of business
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 19:24:13 (permalink)
    I'm confused now. Business to low in volume to cook to order? Too high I can understand why a need for holding MIGHT be necessary. Is your grill always full of other items? Labor issues? As far as your burgers: homemade recipe?
    Namho
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 20:07:18 (permalink)
    OK this has got out of hand. I asked if any of you had a way to do this, I got a few emails from some people on here that do it all of the time. I guess they didnt want to hear the BS from the other users so they emailed me instead of posting here. Thanks for the emails! Back to the post..... I asked if you knew of a way to do it, not if you liked it or not...I dont care if you like it or not. I sell to a business that has around 500 people working there( I dont serve all of them). I work from 11:00 to 6:00, I get around 30 different shifts in that time. I am a one man show so making them to order WILL NOT WORK!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 20:43:16 (permalink)
    Namho has STRONG potential as a RF long-timer. My kudos to you, sir.
    Pull up a chair, sit down & stay awhile.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 21:03:15 (permalink)
    Amen,Adjudicator!!!!!!!
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 21:08:43 (permalink)
    point taken, Namho.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/06 21:14:44 (permalink)
    There is a beautiful monestary called Holy Hill here in Wisconsin(Hubertus to be exact)They have a wonderful cafe and most of the food is homemade.Their homemade pie is called "fruits of the forest"which has apples,blackberries,rhubarb,strawberries and raspberries.Their hamburgers are kept in beef broth til you order,and then they are put on the grill to finish off-onions,cheese,whatever.WONDERFUL BURGERS.Namho-do what you want,but I think this is a good way to hold your burgers.
    adbunting
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/11/11 16:22:23 (permalink)
    Yes, it can be done, and done well. I worked for a National Park Restaurant. We had seating for 200 people and had a 5 hour lunch service. They would pre-grill the burgers and then hold them in beef broth. You also have to figure that they were 'guessing' about how many burgers would be sold so the rest would go into the blast cooler after service was over and then used the next day.

The broth part is very important. It has to taste like beef, not boullion or certain au jus that are out there. No spice, just beef. They'd grab one and finish it on the grill. You aren't stewing them but you can easily hold them at just over 140 and use for the next day if you don't contaminate the primary batch during the course of service.

It also keeps them moist.

Of course this only works if your burgers are all medium - med well. <which I'd want from a cart anyway...>

So I would say simmer away.

April
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Hamburgers 2006/12/29 20:49:56 (permalink)
    quote:

OK this has got out of hand. I asked if any of you had a way to do this, I got a few emails from some people on here that do it all of the time. I guess they didnt want to hear the BS from the other users so they emailed me instead of posting here. Thanks for the emails! Back to the post..... I asked if you knew of a way to do it, not if you liked it or not...I dont care if you like it or not. I sell to a business that has around 500 people working there( I dont serve all of them). I work from 11:00 to 6:00, I get around 30 different shifts in that time. I am a one man show so making them to order WILL NOT WORK!

We use a ground sirlion burger patty that has bread crumbs in them to absorb moisture. After we finish grilling them over charcoal we then let them stand in a steam pan with water in the pan. This keeps the patty juicy and when you put cheese on them it melts right on it. We sell alot of these in a day and I must say it's an excellent burger. If I tried to cook to order I would be out of business
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1