Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go.

Author
Green_Chile
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
2005/02/14 06:57:08 (permalink)

Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go.

Take your Doctor with you to lunch when in the south

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050214/ap_on_he_me/fit_southern_staples&e=1

13 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 08:37:53 (permalink)
    It is really difficult to tell if this is a genuine concern for the health of the people, or another move by "Big Brother" to homogenize the culture of the country into one great grey mass of chain operations serving the same grey products to all of us in equal amounts for our same grey lifestyles. 'Soylent Green' Anyone?
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 08:56:43 (permalink)
    I was on the bus till the egg layer.
    I'd have to hold the egg, double the chili. Maybe adding some deep fried
    lettuce would quiet these yapping doctors.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 09:17:40 (permalink)
    Yeah, but what about the "Luther Burger," a bacon-cheeseburger served on a Krispy Kreme doughnut bun...
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 09:27:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

It is really difficult to tell if this is a genuine concern for the health of the people, or another move by "Big Brother" to homogenize the culture of the country into one great grey mass of chain operations serving the same grey products to all of us in equal amounts for our same grey lifestyles. 'Soylent Green' Anyone?

I whole-heartedly agree. The "Bloomin Onion" craze seems more of a threat, as there are chains all over the country serving those. To focus soley on southern food is a slap in the face. Finding meat and three outside the south has got to be tough...why fuss about a lil pork in my greens if I'm strong as Popeye?
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 14:42:16 (permalink)
    I don't think I'd like to make a habit of eating such a thing, but I have had a cheeseburger with a fried egg on it, and I liked it. Al, ya wanna split one of those? I just had a "healthy" breakfast, which leaves me wanting something that tastes good.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18661
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 14:53:47 (permalink)
    I'm there till you get to the potatoes. Despite the fact that there are some people in Pittsburgh who actually believe that fries belong on sandwiches, I have to pass.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 15:07:44 (permalink)
    I used to get salads in the Pittsburgh. They had fries in them as well.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 15:18:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

I don't think I'd like to make a habit of eating such a thing, but I have had a cheeseburger with a fried egg on it, and I liked it. Al, ya wanna split one of those? I just had a "healthy" breakfast, which leaves me wanting something that tastes good.

Michael G, you're right. I've had lots of hamburger w/ egg sandwiches, I guess it's the chilidog aspect that says "hold the egg" to me, but in the interests of science I might give the whole shebang a try.
    Michael H, I don't know about fries, but I used to put potato chips on my sandwiches as a kid, and now I find my 12 year old doing the same thing. I didn't teach him either. Heredity works in strange ways.
    They look well fed in Pittsburgh, so I would tend to trust their judgement.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/14 19:43:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Green_Chile

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I whole-heartedly agree. The "Bloomin Onion" craze seems more of a threat, as there are chains all over the country serving those. To focus soley on southern food is a slap in the face. Finding meat and three outside the south has got to be tough...why fuss about a lil pork in my greens if I'm strong as Popeye?

"Finding meat and three outside the south has got to be tough..."
    TRUE

Finding anything BUT meat and three outside the south (BBQ included) is quite a bit tougher...
    MORE TRUE

I agree 100% the CDC's opinion. (Note where the CDC is located at...)

"The federal government's new dietary guidelines suggest eating five to 13 servings of fruits and vegetables daily. Fruit consumption in the nation's restaurants rose 9 percent between 2003 and 2004, according to market research firm NPD Group.

''Fruit is the deficiency in the American diet,'' says Harry Balzer, an NPD vice president in Rosemont who focuses on food trends. "

michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/15 15:09:39 (permalink)
    Nowadays, I eat apple sauce because I know it's good for me. Next door to us when I grew up was a lady who was orphaned very young and grew up in an orphanage in Iowa. To her and the other children, apple sauce was a special, once-a-week dessert. This is not progress. On the other hand, if I could have more of the applesauce our neighbor produced, THAT would be a treat!
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/15 15:32:41 (permalink)
    To all,

When I was in college, eating at the mess hall. I would eat an egg salad sandwich and a double cheesburger for lunch every day. It was pretty much what they did well. At home I ate Italian and Polish food plus bologna and cheese sandwiches along with sausages and all things considered fattening. I now eat just about everything that I want from duck to organ meat to sausages to seafood to bologna sandwiches. I do eat fruit everyday and make sure that each meal is cooked with vegatables. I am 5'10" and weigh 160 lbs. Maybe it's just my metabolisim but my chloesterol is at 160. Besides it is a short life and we should enjoy what we like when we have a hankering for it.

BB
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/15 15:33:47 (permalink)
    Now, now...let's not rank on my hometown of Pittsburgh.... The french fries on sandwich are GREAT...so popular that they are also sold in both baseball and football stadiums. Must admit though that there are many people there that lean towards the, um, "hearty" side.

The hamdog sounds great if the fried egg is left off. Not sure about the burger on the KK glazed though....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18661
    RE: Hamdogs are bad? Gimme 2 and a Defribulator to go. 2005/02/15 15:42:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

Now, now...let's not rank on my hometown of Pittsburgh.... The french fries on sandwich are GREAT...so popular that they are also sold in both baseball and football stadiums. Must admit though that there are many people there that lean towards the, um, "hearty" side.

The hamdog sounds great if the fried egg is left off. Not sure about the burger on the KK glazed though....

A guy opened a Pittsburgh-style sandwich place here in Central Ohio several years ago. It lasted almost four months. It seems that people didn't take to french fries on their sandwiches -- or to pastrami on Italian bread slices with cole slaw and potatoes.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1