The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va. Beach/Hampton/Newport News) hot dogs

geographer

• Total Posts: 139
Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va. Beach/Hampton/Newport News) hot dogs Mon, 10/12/09 8:16 AM (permalink)
When we moved to Norfolk last year, we knew about some of the local food specialties.  What has surprised me is the number of independent hot dog places around.  What are your favorites?

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
    Re:Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va. Beach/Hampton/Newport News) hot dogs Wed, 10/14/09 11:53 AM (permalink)
    Definitely Doug's Hot Dogs at Ocean View about a block back from the beach. geographer, what are some others that you've found?

geographer

Re:Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va. Beach/Hampton/Newport News) hot dogs Fri, 11/6/09 12:38 PM (permalink)
      Only three thus far:

1) Doug's was pretty good.  Was there late in the day, will have to try it again around lunchtime.

2) Perfectly Frank (the one by ODU).  It's fine but the best I've been to.

3) Dog and Burger Grille in Ghent.  The food and atmosphere are very good.  Not sure it would get all the buzz it does if it wasn't located in Ghent.

I need to try some more places around the area...

geographer

Re:Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Va. Beach/Hampton/Newport News) hot dogs Fri, 05/14/10 2:59 PM (permalink)
        Had lunch today at Tony Jr.'s hot dog stand, surrounded by a chain link fence, on Lafayette.  Excellent chili dog.  Across the street from the "Original" Tony's.  Apparently, from what locals tell me, there was a family fight when the original Tony died over who was going to get his business.  The son lost out, and opened his own stand across the street.  Locals claim Tony Jr'.s hot dog today is closer to the original served by his Dad than the one the "Original" Tony's serves.  I would definitely go back for another one.

I've got pictures to upload if someone can give me pointers on how to upload them!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com