Hand Cut Lox

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2004/07/23 18:21:37 (permalink)
Thank you Michael---didnt know that!
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2004/07/28 17:47:22 (permalink)
THe best palce for all smoked fishes is Russ & Daughters on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. I used to work down on JOhn Street and once in awhile, I'd bring a cooler bag and go there on my way home. Whitefish, Sable, nova, belly lox. smoked salmon- yum yum
yum.

www.russanddaughters.com

LaurieGee52
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2004/08/06 22:52:15 (permalink)
Great topic....in fact a short while ago for dinner I had Nova on a bagel ....when you want a quick fix and don't want to pay a "million dollars"....CostCo's Nova fits the bill perfectly....with butter (lactose intolerant)...tomatoes...onions.....yum!!

Bought a package of Nova at Costco last week and was surprised they'd raised their price from $9.99 to $11.99 a lb....still a great deal for a pound of basically good fish....of course if you want to spend a million dollars...."ZABARS" fish is second to none.....
IMHO

LaurieGee52
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2004/08/09 01:47:34 (permalink)
I was in NYC yesterday and found very reasonably priced nova and other smoked salmon at Garden of Eden Gourmet on 23rd Street just east of Seventh. House nova was only $17/lb.

Best find of the day was Sables on Second between 77 and 78. www.sablesmokedfish.com Run by a former Zabar's employee, the nova was melt in your mouth smooth. Lots of salads and other delicacies, wish there was a place like this in my neighborhood.
Trask
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/19 13:00:16 (permalink)
Great lox talk here. Grandfather used to work at Montrose Fish Market in Brooklyn. He made smoked fish and lox and always had a good supply in his refrigerator. We got spoiled on all this luxury. Now I'm catching my own fish in the PNW and making my own delicacies like smoked salmon, pickled salmon, lox, even caviar. One thing I have noticed is that the lox bought out here is smoked where what I always had in NY did not have the noticeable smoke smell or taste. I like smoked fish but prefer my lox without the smoke.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18458
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/19 17:42:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Trask

Great lox talk here. Grandfather used to work at Montrose Fish Market in Brooklyn. He made smoked fish and lox and always had a good supply in his refrigerator. We got spoiled on all this luxury. Now I'm catching my own fish in the PNW and making my own delicacies like smoked salmon, pickled salmon, lox, even caviar. One thing I have noticed is that the lox bought out here is smoked where what I always had in NY did not have the noticeable smoke smell or taste. I like smoked fish but prefer my lox without the smoke.

Lox -- Nova, belly -- is supposed to be cold-smoked. That's why it does not have a smoke smell or taste. To cold-smoke you need to have a smoking box and a way to transfer the smoke a long-enough distance away so that it cools before it gets to the chamber where you have the salmon. This might help:

http://www.kasilofseafoods.com/Smoking/cold-smoked-lox.htm
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/19 19:04:25 (permalink)
Michael, I've seen this site a couple of years ago and like he states the cold smoke process he uses is one of many methods. I also have a large cold smoker unit but when I make lox I don't smoke it at all. Just hard salt it for at least several weeks and then soak it out. There is, or at least was, a noticeable difference between what is available here and in NY in the 50's and 60's when I remember it best. A deli owner in Monticello, NY told me the way they made it was just storing it in salt and rinsing for hours to get the desired saltiness and softness. If you soak it longer it becomes almost spreadable and not very salty. I remember asking my grandfather about how it was made and long it was smoked and he mentioned that it spent very little, if any, time being smoked. I think many people think of lox as being smoked salmon which some is to more extent than others. I think marketing chooses to refer to it all as "smoked" even if you walk it through the smokehouse for a few seconds. If it isn't "smoked", then what? Raw? The lox market would suffer. In any case, I'll take the old NY style without the stronger smoke flavor but wouldn't turn down either.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/19 19:22:14 (permalink)
Well, when I was growing up in Connecticut all the lox I knew about was cold-smoked. My father was in the wholesale food business, and among other things that he sold to restaurants, hotels, markets and delicatessens was lox. I used to pick it up for delivery from the company that cold-smoked it. Frankly, I can't ever recall lox having a smoke flavor or aroma. Cold-smoking -- something I can't do properly, by the way, no matter how many times I've tried -- is what gives lox that special texture and mouth-feel that makes it so very wonderful.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/19 20:13:16 (permalink)
I've had some cold smoked salmon (not lox) and it is ok but nothing I would have the patience to make. It takes up to several days. 10 to 12 hours kippering is enough for me. The commercial lox from various places in Alaska, Washington and Oregon all had the noticable smokiness that did not exist in what you describe or I remember. I know I can get similar results to what you describe by hard salting for several weeks and soaking until very soft and slicing very thin. I have commercially fished salmon in the 70's but now sport fish them near home. Some is eaten fresh and some smoked (kippered) but the rest goes in the freezer and then thawed and packed in salt for making lox and some into our favorite pickled lox with lots of onions. Have you tried lox & scrambled eggs? A common menu item in NY & NJ.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 12:19:33 (permalink)
I fish for salmon in the Great Lakes about 20 times a year. I've not fished Alaska, Washington or Oregon in eight years. I'll smoke some each year, but I buy my lox.
In fact, I'm almost out of salmon now. Come April I'll be heading up to Lake Ontario for some kings and coho. We're fishing steelhead now. As to lox and eggs, you bet. Actually, it's lox and onions and eggs for me.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 12:59:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I fish for salmon in the Great Lakes about 20 times a year. I've not fished Alaska, Washington or Oregon in eight years. I'll smoke some each year, but I buy my lox.
In fact, I'm almost out of salmon now. Come April I'll be heading up to Lake Ontario for some kings and coho. We're fishing steelhead now. As to lox and eggs, you bet. Actually, it's lox and onions and eggs for me.

Michael,
Lots of boats on the rivers here now. The rains let up and the steelheaders in their drift boats are taking advantage of the good colored waters in spite of the cold east winds. I prefer the bay and ocean. Besides bottom fishing the chinook spring run peaks around May & June and the fall run in October in Tillammok Bay. Silvers during the summer. Although salmon is fun fishing my favorite thing is to bottom fish on a nice ocean - less pressure, crowds, and it's hard to beat the fresh white flesh of the lings & rock fish & occassional halibut. Good luck in April! I'll be out floating about then too. P.S. A great source for fish smoking, etc. is "Smoking Salmon & Trout" by Jack Whelan. He goes into detail on all aspects of equipment and technique and handling your fish.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 13:22:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Trask

quote:

Michael,
Lots of boats on the rivers here now. The rains let up and the steelheaders in their drift boats are taking advantage of the good colored waters in spite of the cold east winds. I prefer the bay and ocean. Besides bottom fishing the chinook spring run peaks around May & June and the fall run in October in Tillammok Bay. Silvers during the summer. Although salmon is fun fishing my favorite thing is to bottom fish on a nice ocean - less pressure, crowds, and it's hard to beat the fresh white flesh of the lings & rock fish & occassional halibut. Good luck in April! I'll be out floating about then too. P.S. A great source for fish smoking, etc. is "Smoking Salmon & Trout" by Jack Whelan. He goes into detail on all aspects of equipment and technique and handling your fish.

We wade for steelhead in the streams this time of year, and sometimes in the summer when the summer-run Skamanias show up. When the fish are in the lakes it's a trolling thing. I use a long noodle-rod with two-pound test line when stream fishing for steelies. I've enjoyed floating in the Pacific Northwest, but that's not common in this area.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 14:07:00 (permalink)
It is common to drift with the current while bottom fishing. Sometimes use the kicker to hold the spot otherwise it's a trolling show for salmon. I sold my Whaler a few years ago but last year about this time I drove to N Carolina to pick up a used 20'CC and brought it home via Florida. Long trip but nice boat to fish on. T-top and electronic box are great. Where did you fish in Oregon?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 14:28:23 (permalink)
The Deschutes, North Umpqua, Clackamas, Salmon and Columbia rivers, and the Pacific out of Astoria.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 15:00:54 (permalink)
quote:

The Deschutes, North Umpqua, Clackamas, Salmon and Columbia rivers, and the Pacific out of Astoria.

You covered a good portion of the state. Astoria is a nice place. I'm about 70 miles south of there. Occassionally go up there to sturgeon fish. I fished out of Coos Bay & off the Umpqua at Winchester Bay. A couple of years ago there was an article showing a fly fisherman that caught a 71 pound Chinook on the Rogue.
I notice there are a lot of old posts here and don't even realize I'm responding to messages over a year old. Thanks for being here. I'm in the process of making kielbasa. Just ground the meat and will stuff soon and smoke it tomorrow.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 16:31:36 (permalink)
You make your own kielbasa? I am impressed.
Trask
Cheeseburger
RE: Hand Cut Lox 2006/02/20 17:47:14 (permalink)
quote:

You make your own kielbasa? I am impressed.

I started several years ago with the Kitchen Aide and attachments but eventually got a dedicated grinder and stuffer. Ethnic grandI just finished stuffing a 14 pound batch that I have tied into loops and it will go into the wood burning smoker tomorrow for about 5 or 6 hours. Lots of fresh garlic. Hard to find anything like it from stores. 100% pork shoulder. I make a nice fresh Italian and a cajun boudin also but we're on the wrong page here. If you're interested in pics, I can e-mail you a few fish and sausage ones.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1