Hand cut fries in bulk?

Author
HRumbut
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
2006/12/05 19:15:11 (permalink)

Hand cut fries in bulk?

Hi, I am a new member,but have been reading for a few months. My sister and I are opening a small restaurant mostly wings and hot subs w/ a daily special. We want to have home made fries but don't know how to store them once they are cut and pre-fried. After they are pre=fried can you freeze them and they tast as good when recooked? Our concern is not having the cooler space to keep them in bulk. How long do they last once they are pre-fried in the cooler? Thanks Heather

9 Replies Related Threads

Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2006/12/05 19:31:06 (permalink)
    They sure can and sure do. Frozen get even crispier in my opinion. Works best if you can freeze on a sheet before bagging. You can make layer between wax paper or plastic. Sheeting helps keep them from breaking and sticking together. Use good large freezer bags. I've used pillow cases before. New of course .
    HRumbut
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2006/12/05 20:26:28 (permalink)
    So they don't stick together after pre-frying? We were afraid of breakage trying to get them apart to fry. THX
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2006/12/05 20:44:09 (permalink)
    Right, by spreading them out in single layers, then freezing. I don't know how big of a freezer you have or how many sheet pans. If you don't have many sheet pans (trays) or a large freezer you can layer them between paper or plastic. Then when you bag them they won't glob and stick. Oh and by the way you don't want to fry them completely. Par fry just a minute or so.
    derf315
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2006/12/10 03:22:33 (permalink)
    It's a tough decision.I've worked with both fresh and frozen.
    First the fresh. Take into consideration 1) the labor it takes to cut, soak, pre-fry, store/freeze and PROPER refrying techniques. I mention the word PROPER because i have been keeping track of the times I have had fresh cut fries. Usually I get greasy,soggy,undercooked fries. Now because I have worked in the back of the house I can tell you with pretty good accuracy that 2) if your place gets slammed or you are in the weeds, those fries are gonna go out regardless how cooked they are resulting in sogmainia.3) Think about it, How many times have you recieved nice crispy, hot fresh fries on a CONSISTANT basis.
    Now think of buying frozen fries from your purveyour. There is vertually no labor envolved. It is a consistantly cut product insuring proper cooking. Your storage is reduced to nice boxes that can be stacked neatly in the freezer reducing your storage capacity. ( How many trays will you have to use to freeze to keep them all in a single layer in your freezer? ) Frozen fries take half the time to cook ( I'm alllowing for the time it takes to cut, soak ( to get the starch out, another debatable subject),pre cook,freeze on single layers, store and re-cook.
    I'm a purist at heart and it does takes a little pride swallowing, but frozen is the best way to go in my opinion. I tried the switch once, in a place that I took over and acrooss the board, the customers were happier because they got a CONSISTANT product. There are way to many uncontrolled variables when it comes to trying to make COSISTANTLY fresh fries. Plus you can gat any sized cut of fry you want. Hope it helps, good luck!!!!!
    porkchopexpress
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2006/12/29 20:27:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

They sure can and sure do. Frozen get even crispier in my opinion. Works best if you can freeze on a sheet before bagging. You can make layer between wax paper or plastic. Sheeting helps keep them from breaking and sticking together. Use good large freezer bags. I've used pillow cases before. New of course .

That seems like a lot of time and labor, we prefry ours every morning and put in a large metal pan. As they are ordered we bring them from the pan to the deep fryer and use tongs to keep them from sticking together during frying. Just my two cents worth
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2006/12/29 20:53:57 (permalink)
    It ain't to bad and it works out well for freezing large batches that will last days. It helps to have a large freezer or walk in if your going to do that many. I think what you do is really the way to go and then you can freeze what's left for the next day if you want.
    It can be a pain to seperate but if you don't they will stick together when frying if they're frozen. I sure wouldn't recommend this for real high volume or in a concession.
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2007/01/07 17:49:40 (permalink)
    There have been quite a few threads regarding french fries. I prefer fresh cut, but there are some good frozen options out there. Here is a photo of some that I purchase off of a truck that comes around, they have pepper built right into them. I think this guy sells restaurant overstock or something. Everything comes in big bags and I refreeze into smaller portions...well not to small. This weekend was sammys and movies for me as I was a bit "frazzled". My goodness, you can either rent "slasher" films or films with plots in caves right now. I'm waiting for Jason part whatever, Jason goes spelunking.

guspas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2007/01/09 22:46:32 (permalink)
    if u blanch them..u can keep em in the cooler for a day maybe 2. Just blanch what u think u will use that day.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hand cut fries in bulk? 2007/01/09 23:44:02 (permalink)
    This question has been asked before. Lots of good results, but I'm too darn tired to look it up right now. Click the SEARCH button at the top of the page, enter Cut Fries into the search. You shall be happy then! (Or try Belgian Fries).

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1