The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Wed, 02/16/05 1:08 PM (permalink)
Outside of Buffalo, N.Y., tell us where your favorites lunch spots are to get one of these. We're talking about a big, crusty hunk of roast beef, good bread and a designated carver.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Wed, 02/16/05 1:40 PM (permalink)
    No beef on weck here in Baltimore, but we do have Pit Beef which is a similar cut of meat, but is generally cooked over charcoal rather than roasted, and more often than not, is found at true roadside stands, where the cooking is done in halved 55 gallon drums. These stands operate mostly in better weather and on the weekends. Slices of beef are placed on rye bread or a kaiser roll and most popular toppings are: commercial barbeque sauce, grain mustard, white horseradish, sliced onions, black pepper.

Probably the most famous purveyor of the sandwich is the Boog's Barbeque concession stand on the Eutaw Street concourse at Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Highest priced too. Pit Ham and Turkey available too.

A few more permanent year round stands are the Charcoal Deli in Cockeysville and Parkville, and Chaps on Pulaski Highway (Rt. 40). Another half dozen stands can be found further along Pulaski Highway or Eastern Avenue east of the city limits, or on Belair Rd (Rt. 1) in the city, but these are mostly the traditional catch as catch can operations.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Wed, 02/16/05 5:15 PM (permalink)
      Brennens in Berkeley Ca!!!! fabulous rare roast beef on sour dough rolls with horseradish and au jus!!!---just under the freeway approuch at the University ave exit--accros from Spenglers--which used to have great seafood but havent been there since the change of ownership a few yrs back. But i can still taste that roast beef at Brennens!!!and......they make a great Irish Coffee!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
        RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Wed, 02/16/05 5:35 PM (permalink)
        Anthony's, a little place on the corner of 16th & Philadelphia in Ocean City, MD. There's a round of beef and a ham in the window waiting to be sliced when ordered and served on an oval shaped hard roll. Most of the business is takeout because the only seating is a few stools at a counter.

chef joe

• Total Posts: 57
          RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Wed, 02/16/05 11:02 PM (permalink)
          One of my first jobs in this crazy business was that of a carver for NIck's Roast Beef in South Philly - they are still there at 20th & Jackson Sts. A bar, small back room and great hand carved roast beef, pork or ham on a round kaiser (more Italian than kaiser) dipped in natural gravy. You can get a combo which is a hand cut slice of aged provolone. The condiments in bowls on the table are straight horseradish, hot sliced cherry peppers and brown mustard. They are wonderful. When I was with them back in the early 70's they expanded into quite a few places with an extended menu and fancier places, don't know if any of them remain, but I do know that 20th & Jackson is still there, it's worth your while to give it a try if your in the neighborhood. A simple, easy, operation and man o' man are they good.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Wed, 02/16/05 11:20 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by chef joe

One of my first jobs in this crazy business was that of a carver for NIck's Roast Beef in South Philly - they are still there at 20th & Jackson Sts. A bar, small back room and great hand carved roast beef, pork or ham on a round kaiser (more Italian than kaiser) dipped in natural gravy. You can get a combo which is a hand cut slice of aged provolone. The condiments in bowls on the table are straight horseradish, hot sliced cherry peppers and brown mustard. They are wonderful. When I was with them back in the early 70's they expanded into quite a few places with an extended menu and fancier places, don't know if any of them remain, but I do know that 20th & Jackson is still there, it's worth your while to give it a try if your in the neighborhood. A simple, easy, operation and man o' man are they good.

Chef Joe: I am a regular customer of Nick's. I'm sure I've been in your presence and I want to thank you for your work. Gene & Nick DiSipio were two of my food heroes.
            There is another outlet of Nick's in Springfield (Delaware County)...it is just as good. But that's it-just the two places.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
              RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Tue, 02/22/05 2:17 PM (permalink)
              Back in the day when a 2 or 3 Martini lunch was accepted as normal, Several Bars that catered to business folk in the Chicago Loop had carvers serving steamship roast beef sandwiches on a Kaiser that had the top half dipped in the Au Jus. Horseradish served on the side.

BakersBoy

• Total Posts: 302
                RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Tue, 02/22/05 2:41 PM (permalink)
                I cannot think of a better place outside of Buffalo than Nick's. We are talking true Roadfood even though it is in an urban neighborhood. When the Republican National Convention was staged in Philadelphia six years ago we were stationed in the old Navy Yards and would make the trip literally daily to get a roast beef sandwich. I grew up in Buffalo and I still prefer the Beef on'Wick. But Nick's comes as a very close second. BTW, Signman is right, the pit beef in and around Baltimore is also excellent just a different cooking style.

BB

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                  RE: Hand-Carved Roast Beef Sandwiches Tue, 02/22/05 3:29 PM (permalink)
                  Henry VIII, in Monument Square, Portland,ME.
                  Small place, but you can see the carver through the window:
                  [img]http://images.snapfish.com/342%3C334723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D924%3D%3B37%3DXROQDF%3E232358583%3C%3B58ot1lsi[/img]
                  Hand carved rare sandwiches on baguettes:
                  [img]http://images.snapfish.com/342%3C334723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D924%3D%3B37%3DXROQDF%3E232358583%3B%3A%3B7ot1lsi[/img]
                  Owned by the same group that owns Wild Willy's Burgers in ME,NH, and MA.
                  Here's a review from the Portland Phoenix:
                  http://www.portlandphoenix.com/food/dining/documents/03358321.asp

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com