The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Handling Raw Meat

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37
enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
RE: Handling Raw Meat Wed, 07/26/06 5:16 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ctrueder
Actually, there were a few posts that were somewhat insulting to our sensibilities (both my wife and I are doctors).

Wow. Can I have your autographs?

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
    RE: Handling Raw Meat Thu, 07/27/06 6:48 AM (permalink)
    Diner-lover, Unfortunatley yes it is a very common practice, as someone brought up the glove thing I see prep cooks wear them but never or rarely change them, but it is a little window dressing for the average coustomer. I'd rather see them with out the gloves, at least they will have to wipe their hands on a towel or apron on occasion. Chow Jim

bethgrd

• Total Posts: 320
      RE: Handling Raw Meat Thu, 07/27/06 8:02 AM (permalink)
      Another reason things are more dangerous today is the evolution of the "super bugs" including ecoli 01757 in raw burgers. It only takes one little particle to cause illness, and the illness can be deadly, esp for immunocompromised adults, elderly, and children. Very scary, and there is no reason raw meat can't be handled properly without cross contaminating. Beth (real life health inspector)

ctrueder

• Total Posts: 104
        RE: Handling Raw Meat Thu, 07/27/06 2:29 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:
        Actually, there were a few posts that were somewhat insulting to our sensibilities (both my wife and I are doctors).

Wow. Can I have your autographs?

I think not. We generally "autograph" prescriptions only.

We are MOST apologetic if we inadvertently stepped upon some "fast food" workers' toes!

On the other hand, we are SERIOUSLY concerned about the "REPORTS" we hear and read in the media about "sanitary issues" in the so-called "fast-food" places.

ctrueder

• Total Posts: 104
          RE: Handling Raw Meat Thu, 07/27/06 3:30 PM (permalink)
          Well, "enginecapt", I guess that I would have to tell ya' this: A lot of us folks in the "real" world take sanitation rather seriously.

Some of us expect that our food, whether it be inyour "In N Out" or in our Inner Harbor's " Rusty Scupper" be prepared, be handled, and be served by people with clean HANDS . . . with a decent ATTITUDE . . . and with some PROFESSIONALISM.

Now, if that presents a sanitation ISSUE, one that you have a problem with, . . . I am VERY apologetic.

But, many of us Roadfooders do not live in, NOR adhere to, the standards of folks in California.

Have a good weekend, enginecapt!

prisonchef

• Total Posts: 296
            RE: Handling Raw Meat Thu, 07/27/06 4:47 PM (permalink)
            well guys,
            as most of you know i work 4 days a week in a bbq joint and the other 3 for me (sounds ez but i will be up all night doing my own catering order for eight 15 pound full packer briskets to be delievered tomorrow morning while i cook my standard fare for this weekend) whoa big digression there!!!!
            i have been training an FNG for my part time employeer this week. this pre-med college boy just can't get it thru his head to rip his gloves off after he touches any raw product!!!!!! i am trying to overcome my nickname (given quite unfairly i feel) as the "sous chef from hell" but today i lost it in front of the GM. FNG handled raw chicken on the line and i grabbed his pre-med nasty little hands, squeezed them as hard as i could and said he would be well advised to rip and change gloves whereupon he advised me his hands hurt. he got the best response i could give which was "just be thankful you aren't bobbing for french fries liked i warned you i would the last 10 times i told you to change gloves!!!!!" he whined to the GM but was told "look after you are a doctor leave any thing in the guy you want but while you are hear you darned well better do what the sous chef tells you and do it right then!!!!!" i am deadly serious about sanitation. my mfd inspector gets a kick out of seeing the polished floors under my sinks and the floor is covered by doors in that area!!! the inspectors that do the bbq joint advise me they love inspecting us as i demand the same thing even though it is not my own business. pre-med boy has been given an ultimatum. 2 more glove warnings and he is out!!!! the terrifying part is i am sure he will pass his boards but i feel equally sure some smart kid will be passing his bar exam just in time to sue this guy.
            but i ask you how the heck hard is it to just rip off a pair of gloves and put on new ones???!!!!
            some one help me come up with an idea that these college kids can learn easily please help!!!!
            jack
            ps. i promised myself after i turned 50 i would no longer run a crew. guess the owner saw right thru that one. but it is really frustrating that something as simple as sanitation means nothing to college kids.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
              RE: Handling Raw Meat Fri, 07/28/06 3:04 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

Obviously, the folks who participate in this FORUM are savvy to the BS "signs" in the chain "restrooms" . . . particularly the "restrooms" in the "Fast-Food joints."

LIKE the under-paid, over-worked, uneducated employees of these "culinary establishments" give a s*** about a "sign" advising them to "wash their hands"! Right!

Personally, I feel that ANYONE who feels the need to eat in one of these "establishments" deserves to get everything they receive . . . germs, spit, fecal matter, filth, etc.

I know dozens of "fast-food" workers who will tell you about their (and others) experiences of "spitting" on burgers . . . and actions much more "disgusting" than that!

You don't want that sort of "stuff" in your "food"? Then don't eat at the so-called "Fast-Food" joints!

Indeed, anyone that eats at these "chain" fast-food joints risks eating "stuff" that they did not bargain for!

Hey, do me a favor and keep it CLEAN here.. Kids read these forums and dont need your swear words incorporated into your wording. Appreciate your input, but think about the others here... TNX!

Surprised that dreck and vomit were not listed also....sorry Vic..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com