Happy Joe's

Author
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 203
2005/02/19 04:05:58 (permalink)

Happy Joe's

Years ago in Kansas City there was a chain by the name of Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream Parlour. They went out of business in the early 80's. Recently I was told that they were still in business in Iowa. I was thinking about taking a roadtrip for up there for lunch. If you have been to them in the last couple of years are they worth the trip?

12 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/02/19 06:41:14 (permalink)
    http://www.happyjoes.com/
    They have locations in several states by the looks of it...
    Theedge
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/02/19 19:07:38 (permalink)
    We had one in town years ago, I remember it being very good. I would stop if I saw one, just for old times sake.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/02/19 20:22:00 (permalink)
    We used to have one nearby (in Washington, IL) that closed quite a while ago. A couple of years ago our Boy Scout troop ate at one of several in the Quad Cities area, and those of us who remembered the one that had been near us, didn't detect any changes in the pizzas. I do think they have added a lot more toppings since the old days. If you have never eaten there, their Happy Joes Special is Canadian bacon and sauerkraut, which sounds weird, but tastes great!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/02/19 20:36:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

We used to have one nearby (in Washington, IL) that closed quite a while ago. A couple of years ago our Boy Scout troop ate at one of several in the Quad Cities area, and those of us who remembered the one that had been near us, didn't detect any changes in the pizzas. I do think they have added a lot more toppings since the old days. If you have never eaten there, their Happy Joes Special is Canadian bacon and sauerkraut, which sounds weird, but tastes great!

Hmmm... I was hounded for having pineapple on a pizza... I can just see the remarks sauerkraut will bring! ha ha... Does sound good though! Worth a try in my book...

bubba trout
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/02/20 01:12:21 (permalink)
    We love Happy Joes pan style taco supreme pizza, it's the only thing we ever order from there. They used to have ice cream parlors and windows that you could watch them make your pizza. The Happy Joes in Urbandale Ia. is less than a mile off of interstate 35/80.

I don't know about driving 3+ hours for Happy Joes but there is a pizza joint I would drive 4 hours for and that is just an extra 45 minutes up the road from Des moines, Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company in Ames.

http://www.greatplainspizza.com/intro.html

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/02/21 09:09:12 (permalink)
    There is a Happy Joe's in Galena, Il. Only went to it because it was across the parking lot from our hotel. Average pizza but a decent salad bar.
    gatorbreath
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/02/22 17:41:13 (permalink)
    When I moved to Saint Louis, nigh on 30 years ago, the accommodations I was promised two weeks earlier on a accommadatin' hunting road trip, was not available. And so, I ended up spending a month at a luxurious local motel. The Wayside ($45 a week) was directly across historic ol' Route 66 from the legendary Coral Court Motel ($77 a week) and up the road, yonder, was a place called Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream Parlor. And so, I bided my time at the Wayside. Now I like my pizza and I like my ice cream but I had never once thought of them two in combination with one another before. So one evening after work I moseyed up the road to investigate this unforeknown phenomena. I strolled up to the counter and asked for a pepperoni pizza, please, then made my way to the farthest-off table, 'Bout 20 minutes later a fine young lady placed before me something I had to sit and regard for just a spell. My regardations lead me to heft a slab and bite into it. Dang'd if them little thin wafer discs didn't taste just like them little bitty cubes of stuff they put on a pizza back home in Indiana. Then I thought, what is all this gooey whitish-yellow stuff under them wafers of meat? And, and, that puckerish feel in my mouth made me curious about the red goo, too. Indiana pizza was kinda sweet, with a buncha' stuff on top but this here pizza is kinda' , well, puckerish. But, all in all it was purty good. Differnt, but purty darn good. Now I haven't been back to see Joe in over twenty years but, I see by a lookin' at the yeller pages that Joe must still be Happy cause he's still in the same place, 30 years later, here in Saint Louie, out on ol' Rt, 66.

Anda I ain't lyin', you can check it out!

http://www2.sjsu.edu/faculty/wooda/motelmissouri.html
    http://www.coralcourt.com/main.html

http://www.happyjoes.com/locations/index.html?&state=MO

http://www.pizzakingindiana.com/

Please, excuse me, I'm really bumming over the demise of Hunter S. Thompson. Love him or hate him or never ever heard of him, he was a one of a kind writer. He, and Mark Twain and Boothe Tarkington, they made me do this. Yah! That's the ticket. Those guys did it. Yeah, they made me do it! Yah.
    JAHelgy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Happy Joe's 2005/03/01 15:50:13 (permalink)
    Is that the same Happy Joe's that had the Beer Nuggets?????????????
    gussmom
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Happy Joe's 2006/01/27 22:52:01 (permalink)
    breelee11
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Happy Joe's 2006/02/16 09:41:52 (permalink)
    I saw you talking about Happy Joe's Pizza. I am from Illinois, and I grew up on this stuff. I now live in Georgia, and I can't find a pizza that comes even close! I see that you can order it online and get it shipped to any location on the continental US! To me, this is worth it, no matter what the cost! Happy Joe's is indeed still in business, and they keep getting better! The location that I call "home" has just updated their ice cream parlor to the cold slab ice cream setup....it's the most perfect place in the world to me.
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Happy Joe's 2006/02/20 10:41:20 (permalink)
    I remember eating at the Happy Joe's in Clinton, IA and Dubuque, IA about 15 years ago. It was a gigantic treat for me. Sometimes, my mom would take me and my friends there and we always ordered the taco pizza. I could not get enough of that stuff.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Happy Joe's 2006/02/20 10:49:11 (permalink)
    Happy Joe's is one of those places where the childhood memories far outshine the current product. We have HJ's here in Iowa, and I'd lump them in with Godfather's -- at step or two above Pizza Hut. The experience is not what it once was, with the sit-down restaurant. Ours is in a strip mall next to a Quizno's. Sad but true. I also have fond memories of it from chidhood -- they had a great ice cream sundae on my birthday, and a fun selection of candies that we didn't see elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't make a special trip to go there now.

Cindy
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1