Hard Cider

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5406
2008/04/15 22:23:52 (permalink)

Hard Cider

I'm gonna try this.

1 pkg. Munton's Ale Yeast (YS545 from this site: http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-yeast-dry.shtml)
1 gal. Apple Juice (pasteurized, with no sulf*tes, etc.... cheap juice works fine, plastic bottles are MUCH less dangerous than glass, so I recommend plastic)
2 cups sugar + 1 tblsp.
1 tblsp. honey
1 large balloon

OK, take the apple juice and pour one pint into a glass... drink it (it's good for you).
Pour off another pint and place this glass aside. Add two cups of sugar to the juice
remaining in the bottle. Cap tightly and shake vigorously until sugar dissolves...
The juice level should be about so (some "headspace" is important)

Warm the apple juice you set aside earlier until it's in the lower 80s Fahrenheit (roughly)... a little too
cool is better than a little too warm, so play it safe. To this juice add the extra tablespoon
of sugar and the honey. Stir until dissolved.

To this warmed juice add one "knife end" of yeast powder...

Ooh... check out that action shot!

Stir until the yeast is completely dissolved. Now at this point you have a choice to make.
You can leave this warmed juice out until it begins to fizz or foam... this is called "proofing".
This ensures that the yeast you have is alive and well and that you aren't wasting your time.
On the other hand, if your yeast is fresh and you're not particularly worried, you can just
go ahead and add this "yeast slurry" to the main vessel now... it may take several hours for
the yeast to "proof", so it's your call.

If you decide to skip proofing, go ahead and add the yeast slurry to the jug. If you decide
to proof, then add the slurry to the jug once the yeast begins to fizz or foam.
Cap the jug and shake vigorously for a minute or so. Remove cap and place jug in a dark
corner (rinse cap and place in a drawer or someplace safe.)
Place balloon over mouth of jug and pierce tip of balloon with a needle.

Within 24 hours you should begin to see or hear tiny bubbles breaking the surface (if you have
a difficult time seeing the bubbles, try placing a flashlight on the far side of the jug, pointing back
toward you). At this point, it's all a matter of taste... if you let the cider ferment until it
stops naturally then you're going to have the ass-stomping gun cleaner that was present
at Pedernales... if you decide to stop the fermentation early then place the cider in a freezer
for a day or two, then move jug to refrigerator and keep there, capped loosely.

22 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/15 22:45:52 (permalink)
    When I was a kid we'd just put a few gallon jugs of cider out in the snow and let it sit for a month or so. That became mighty powerful stuff.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/16 07:30:13 (permalink)
    I'm with Michael on that method.
    But it had to be unpasteuirzed cider. Hardder than hens teeth to find these days.
    I blame it on the big commercial bottelers of cider. They wanted that local
    farm stand market in the worse way, so they devloped a scare to drive out the little guy.
    Mike, just what is a knife end type of measurement?
    Anything like a pinch?
    Chow Jim
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/16 11:43:44 (permalink)
    The cider we used was, of course, unpasturized. I understand that in Connecticut now the sale of untreated, unpasturized cider is against the law. What a pity. At least here in Ohio I can still but the real stuff.
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 518
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/16 12:27:13 (permalink)
    When we lived in Detroit, we would go to a place called Franklin Cider Mill, the kids would get fresh pressed cider for immediate consumption, as well as freshly made, hot cake donuts. My parents and grandparents would have their obligatory taste of the fresh stuff, but would get several gallons to take home and let it "age" for a while. It "aged" well.
    iqdiva
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1491
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/16 12:51:34 (permalink)
    My first encounter with hard cider was on a trip to France while I was enjoying a tour of Normandy...I was served a hard cider that was sparkling....It was delicious !
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/16 13:21:57 (permalink)
    My BF all of a sudden has a desire to construct a still. I printed him instructions from the "net". This sounds alot easier IF I can find the unpasturized apple juice. I did come close last night to having this, well, it was "Simply Apple" juice and "Everclear" which I didn't know was still sold here in FL. I can tell you this though, if it wasn't for me bringing leftovers for lunch I would have had no idea what I fixed for dinner!
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 14:46:48 (permalink)
    The brand Woodchuck makes some good ciders.

http://www.woodchuck.com/
    iqdiva
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 14:58:01 (permalink)
    Rusty...We've got stills back in the woods around here , but they just make 'shine...

Mama made one of the best Lane Cakes in her life the year we were short of bourbon and Daddy got her some 'shine instead...Boy , was that cake good !
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 18:29:39 (permalink)
    Thats going to be a 'sweet' hard there... I just add a little yeast nutrient (1 tsp) and some yeast, plug the jug with a ferment lock and let it go..
    Rusty246
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 18:50:27 (permalink)
    Is this anything on the lines of "applejack"? That is some good stuff and equally dangerous.... I wish I had a contact for that.
    iqdiva
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 19:00:19 (permalink)
    Well Rusty I can tell you that 'shine ( moonshine ) is very dangerous stuff ! LOL...
    I think applejack is apple brandy...Not nearly as dangerous as 'shine !
    Rusty246
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 19:11:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

Well Rusty I can tell you that 'shine ( moonshine ) is very dangerous stuff ! LOL...

I was just remembering when my ex used to work for a water tank company that had drivers delivering supplies all over. One particular drivers route was always in the TN area and would bring my ex back what he called "apple jack". It was in Mason jars, clear as water but had a VERY slight, next to none, apple taste, we kept it in the freezer and sipped on it.
    iqdiva
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 19:16:57 (permalink)
    I'll bet it was good stuff !
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 20:59:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by iqdiva

Moonshine is as good as the equipment.. Back in the day when they used car radiators, etc, that was not of food grade, yes, it was dangerous. Today, brew the nectar of the Gods, toss it in a mason jar with a peach and enjoy!
    iqdiva
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 21:53:45 (permalink)
    UncleVic...I don't think that Daddy knew anybody back then who'd use car radiators... I was referring to the danger associated with the potency of that old time 'shine ...The 'shine that He brought to Mama for her holiday Lane Cakes that year was apparently good stuff because those cakes that year were out of this world delicious !
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 22:14:16 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    With all the apple-growing areas in the South, you'd think somebody would have a dadgum light blub come on over their heads to go to work at opening a microcidery!!
    The places that immediately come to mind for such include Cornelia or Ellijay, Georgia, Boone or Hendersonville, North Carolina, or Gaffney, South Carolina... and all of these are "wet" jurisdictions (at least for beer and wine, anyway).
    I won't rest until I can finally tell Deborah, my British librarian friend here, that there is local cider in the works. She likes several American ones just fine, thank you, but being from England, she misses the tradition of local ciders. She's kind enough that we need to find a way to help her....
    Cidering With Her, Ort. Carlton in Oft-Luscious (many lushes here!) Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I reconnected with Deborah Goldberg, if any of you remember when she was tracking me down awhile back (she's not the British lady). She's alive and well, with a boyfriend now. No calamity; that means I have TWO people to share a pint with....
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1459
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/24 22:43:33 (permalink)
    My Grandpappy used to make beer that he would 'still into shine now and again. I remember some of the bottles blowing up when the weather got too hot and he put a little too much sugar in one batch as to increase the alcohol content! I have never tried "natural" hard cider. I have only had it bottled by the manufacturer and I thought it tasted pretty good.
    My Father in law makes his own wine in Alaska and let me tell you, it is really strong but it is very tasty. Some of the flavors that I have tried are, peach, dandelion, strawberry, that my wife brought back a few years ago.

David O.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5406
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/25 01:50:05 (permalink)

So what is the deal with a balloon?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/25 13:29:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

seems that piercing the balloon would prevent the gases that build up from escaping to quickly--probably so that the desired effect on the cider.
    THAYWARD
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/25 16:56:28 (permalink)
    Think the balloon takes the place of a fermentation lock/cork that I use when making homemade wine.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/04/25 23:38:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

A balloon will work, but that hole ya punch in there needs to be surgical. If it's too big, and deflates, you allow organisms to sneak in there thus making up a jug of vinegar. Go to your local brew supply shop, get a ferment lock (2 to 5 bucks depending on how fancy ya want it) and a pre drilled rubber cork (about a buck). Unlike the balloon, these are reusable over and over again.. When I first started fermenting on a budget, I'd get a solid rubber cork for 50 cents, some clear 1/4 inch plastic tubing (2 feet), drill the cork, stuff the tube in there (after sterilizing everything in a bleach water solution) then putting the end of the tube in some lightly bleached water (to keep the fruit flies away).

My very first recipe of "Jack" consisted of a frozen concentrate of Welch's Grape Juice, about 3 pounds of sugar, and a 1/2 pound of raisins. This recipe would have made the creator of Mad Dog 20/20 or Ripple jealous. My buddy and me barely split a fifth, and it's still the worst hangover to this day I can remember.. (Not to mention the most drunk I've ever been). Something about avoiding that yeast sediment and getting a vitamin b12 overdose had a little to do with that one.. Things we learn in the infancy of our home brew experiments.

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Hard Cider 2008/10/25 08:57:20 (permalink)
    Good time of year to start your own if you can get unpastureized cider.
    I vent mine into a small container of water, keeps the unwanted beasties out. I don't like to add sugar, but have been known to sprinkle a little brewers yeast to speed up the process. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1