Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
2013/10/13 16:41:11 (permalink)

Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell

Since I was going to Maine this week, I was checking price's on lobster.  I noticed that soft shell is about 30% cheaper than hard shell.  I asked why and was told that there was more meat on hard shell.  If they charge by the pound and less shell, I am having a hard time understanding the huge price difference?

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
post edited by Sundancer7 - 2013/10/13 16:42:47

11 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6748
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/13 17:06:38 (permalink)
    I am very surprised that they even have soft-shell lobsters in October.  Soft-shells occur in the summer when the lobster is molting.  They are always less expensive but the meat is not very good.  You will crack into a soft-shell and a whole lot of water will pour out and there's not much meat.  Do not get a soft-shell lobster!!!!  Trust me, I was in the lobster business!  Get a good hard-shell lobster.  The meat will be firm, sweet and delicious.  Actually the best, best, best lobster is found in March and is called, in the business, a "Western Novi" which means it comes from Nova Scotia.  The water in March is SUPER cold, the shells are SUPER hard and the meat.........absolutely the best lobster on the planet.  Enjoy Maine.  Go to Casco Bay if you can, it's beautiful there.
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1297
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/14 09:04:34 (permalink)
    Some people have tried to convince me that the meat on the soft shell lobster is more tender. They may be right, but, as one who has had waitstaff in restaurants ask me, "What happened to the rest of the lobster ?"(I get EVERY bit of meat from it, although, alas, in current polluted times, I regretfully no longer eat the tomally), I prefer to have meat that doesn't stick to the shell (as often happens with soft shell lobsters). I have stated in other threads that my local (less than 1/4 mile away) supermarket often gets phone orders for lobsters that don't get picked up, and sells them for a (for New Jersey) bargain price (or one that can be negotiated; I will usually pay $5 for a chick); I use them for lobster rolls or lobster salad (although, in college, one of my dormmates was a member of the family that ran Brooklyn's Blue Ridge Farms, and he always had a big bucket of langostino "lobster" salad handy, which he shared liberally with his friends). In any case, I'm not quite as picky with those as I am when I pay full price.
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/14 10:31:57 (permalink)
    Lisa,  I bought lobsters a couple of weeks ago at one of my local supermarkets and didn't even think to ask if they were hard shell or soft. I assumed they were hard. They weren't. I usually buy 3 or 4 lobsters, cook and deshell them and put in a container in my fridge so my family can make their own lobster rolls or however they want to eat the meat. With soft shells I feel like I get about half the meat!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/14 10:40:36 (permalink)
    Yes, you were getting half the meat!  When the lobsters molt, they not only loose their shells, they loose body mass.  Back in June our supermarket had a lobster special........just in time for my birthday!  The gal that was in charge of the lobsters seemed kind of squeamish about touching those critters so I offered to pick my own out.  They were nice hard shells......small, 1 1/4 pounders.......so we got 6 and they were really good.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/14 13:47:37 (permalink)
    All this talk about lobster got me hungry for one.  I'm getting a new range delivered tomorrow.......what better way to christen it than to cook lobsters!  I just called Commercial Lobster in Boston (I ran their retail mkt. Yankee Lobster Fish Market) and ordered 2 two pounders.  They will ship tomorrow and we'll have them Wednesday. 
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3472
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/14 14:24:14 (permalink)
    I really want lobster now, too. Unfortunately, unless I pay ridiculous amounts of money at a restaurant, my option is "fresh-frozen" lobster meat. I can't think of anywhere around here that still has a tank.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/15 07:58:49 (permalink)
    Lisa-happy christening! If I lived closer-you would have had to order an extra 2 pounder!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/10/15 15:42:34 (permalink)
    Annie
    It would be an absolute pleasure to order an extra lobster for you!

JB-ME
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/11/12 19:57:05 (permalink)
    lleefchef--I absolutely agree with what you said about soft vs hard shelled lobsters. I often have had someone say they prefer "sweet" shedder meat to hard. I disagree! Go figure. I like the texture and flavor of hard over the watery, mushier shedder meat. The hard shells are more expensive but are worth it.
      I have also heard people rave about getting 3# or larger lobsters, too. Bigger is not better! Think rubbery or the very few times I've had them. I prefer 1.25--1.5. Lobster cooking is a very primitive business. Lobster and crab are only things I have ever cooked that start out alive.
       My dad came from Vinalhaven, Maine, which is an island in Penobscot Bay, and the home of some of the best lobsters. He came from a long line of fisherman, was one himself for a time, went to college and became an accountant. When he retired, he got a 34' lobster boat and went fishing again. He went fishing early in the morning on the day he died, and his last meal--supper--was two lobsters I cooked for him. A perfect last day--out on his boat for a while and his favorite food. The only thing that would have made it more perfect--that I had baked one of his favorite pies--apple or custard.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3958
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2013/11/27 22:27:02 (permalink)
    I agree with Lisa. I have noticed that when I've gotten live lobsters with a soft shell, they are usually watery and bland. I will have to start making sure they are hard shells!
    barbhelm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Hard shelll lobster vs. soft shell 2014/06/27 21:34:58 (permalink)
    Your father had a perfect day with a trip on his boat, some lobster and you close by.  Wonderful.
    JB-ME

lleefchef--I absolutely agree with what you said about soft vs hard shelled lobsters. I often have had someone say they prefer "sweet" shedder meat to hard. I disagree! Go figure. I like the texture and flavor of hard over the watery, mushier shedder meat. The hard shells are more expensive but are worth it.
    I have also heard people rave about getting 3# or larger lobsters, too. Bigger is not better! Think rubbery or the very few times I've had them. I prefer 1.25--1.5. Lobster cooking is a very primitive business. Lobster and crab are only things I have ever cooked that start out alive.
      My dad came from Vinalhaven, Maine, which is an island in Penobscot Bay, and the home of some of the best lobsters. He came from a long line of fisherman, was one himself for a time, went to college and became an accountant. When he retired, he got a 34' lobster boat and went fishing again. He went fishing early in the morning on the day he died, and his last meal--supper--was two lobsters I cooked for him. A perfect last day--out on his boat for a while and his favorite food. The only thing that would have made it more perfect--that I had baked one of his favorite pies--apple or custard.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1