Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 15:57:06 (permalink)
A timely post, because I will be near to Lyndhurst, and was tempted...
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 17:14:30 (permalink)
MD - Are you going to have a car?  You will not be far from Rutt's Hut and the Tic Toc Diner.  Several other places I'd recommend depending if you have a car or not....East Rutherford, Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights
Tony White
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 17:18:14 (permalink)
Having been to Harold's in Lyndhurst 3 times in the last 3 months, IMHO the pastrami was very good with a nice smokey flavor and very moist.  I ordered the small sandwich, which appeared to be 9 oz. as advertised.  Cannot comment on shortage of poster bartl but other diners seem to have extremely large sandwiches at their tables.  Having also been to the Parsippany location, I found the pastrami much better here in Lyndhurs - smokier and moister.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 17:20:25 (permalink)
DJ - It's pretty well known that Harold's buys and sells them in NJ.  They keep his name but rarely his quality.  He doesn't seem to mind his name is on places he no longer is affiliated with.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 17:23:37 (permalink)
Harold no longer owns the one in Parsippany either...

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 21:27:33 (permalink)
And the one he opened, and operated, in East Brunswick last year has closed.  So now, the only Harold's Deli he owns is the one in Edison.  Go to the others at your own risk!
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1295
Re:Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 23:06:27 (permalink)
russ2304
OK GUYS-------------Just got onto this thread and am having a huge anxiety attack-----PLEASE---Ellen and others reassure me that this DOES NOT APPLY to the Harold's in Edison----after going back and forth in the recent posting of Miami Don on this topic I am jonesing big time for a Harold's Pastrami and was going to get my fix soonest---reply soon with blessed good news that Harold's Edison is still PRIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will verify that this does NOT reflect on Harold's of Edison (which I have been to within the past year and was still excellent), nor Harold's of Parsipanny (which I haven't been to in about a decade, so can't say one way or the other, but is also of different ownership).

bartl
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/02/28 23:09:21 (permalink)
Baah Ben
MD - Are you going to have a car?  You will not be far from Rutt's Hut and the Tic Toc Diner.  Several other places I'd recommend depending if you have a car or not....East Rutherford, Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights

I've been interested in trying out the Tic Toc Diner since I saw it on the Food Network; I'll check this site for reviews.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/01 05:28:47 (permalink)
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/01 09:10:51 (permalink)
Bartl - You really should try to make it to both Rutt's Hut for at least a hot dog (I like their onion rings) and then to the Tic Tock for whatever else you can consume.  They are not far from each other.

Tic Tock is probably the best Northern NJ diner..The Forum on Route 4 in Hackensack is also pretty good...Very successful, too.  Both are examples of good NJ Diners.  There are others, of course.  Maybe even better?  I've never been to some of the really good ones in South Jersey. 

The one I want to get to is Mastouris (I know I've butchered the spelling) and I would like to try the one in Jersey City that was featured on FoodTV (pancakes are their specialty).  I may do that one and see how it compares to Al's on Communipaw.

Bruce and Sue - I have tried to find out what happened to Harold in New Brunswick..I spoke to several equipment reps, who usually know the skinny on this stuff.  But, I cannot get the story..YET. 

Do you guys know any "behind the scene" stuff?
Yes, I remember you telling me that you really don't know anything about Harold other than he serves good good..Hey, just thought I'd ask.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/01 10:03:28 (permalink)
Don't know what happened in East Brunswick, but the one time we were there, the vibe just seemed a little off, like they just weren't doing much business.  When we asked Harold as we were leaving how's business at the new place he said it was pretty good in a way that made us doubt it.
bartl
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/02 00:25:26 (permalink)
Baah Ben
Tic Tock is probably the best Northern NJ diner..The Forum on Route 4 in Hackensack is also pretty good...Very successful, too.  Both are examples of good NJ Diners.  There are others, of course.  Maybe even better?  I've never been to some of the really good ones in South Jersey. 

The Forum, unfortunately, has been closed. It was supposed to become an auto dealership, but there isn't enough parking, and the powers that be in Paramus are doing what powers that be do when someone wants a zoning variance.

I remember my first time at the Forum; I was living in Manhattan at the time, and got a flat tire on the George Washington Bridge. Went to Midas to get it fixed, and walked over to the Forum to have some lunch. Chicken salad sandwich; quite good. When we moved to New Milford a year or two later, we became semi-regulars; I wrote a review of the place on dine.com, which I can't seem to scare up at the moment, but essentially called it step above the usual diner with a step above the usual prices. But I'm a sucker for roast duck, which they usually had (these days, I go to the nearby Coach House diner, across from Riverside Square on Route 4, for my duck fix).
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/02 01:30:21 (permalink)
Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

Don't know what happened in East Brunswick, but the one time we were there, the vibe just seemed a little off, like they just weren't doing much business.  When we asked Harold as we were leaving how's business at the new place he said it was pretty good in a way that made us doubt it.

It was jam packed when I was there, but that's cause it was a Saturday night.
Plus it was in early Jan. and the waiter said it had been busy all week, cause the kids were still on their X-mas break...
But he said it was real slow during the week...

Whereas the one in Edison is located in a HUGE office complex, with a few hotels right there, like the Sheraton , the Hilton Garden, and the Holiday Inn..
(the latter that is attached to Harold's)

I guess we'll have to try getting info out of the help at the Edison location...
maybe we can bribe them , or something, LOL

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/02 02:24:21 (permalink)
Bartl - Thanks for the head's up on the Forum.  Boy, that's surprising, but it seems like they might have sold at the best time?  The Coach House is good...Probably before your time, but it was once called Holly's.  I forgot about it..

So you are from New Milford!  Know it well.  So, if I can ask you the same question I ask everyone from Bergen County and nobody responds..Have you ever heard of Tracy's Nine Mile House in Little Ferry? 
Tony White
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/02 21:15:12 (permalink)
I have, My parents took me there in the early sixties. After my fathers passing in 1985 I suggested to my
Mother that we go back. We would go for their Sliced Steak which we both enjoyed very much at least once
a year until her death in 2006. We would also go to the Emerson Hotel in Emerson also a good
Sliced Steak and Great Cole Slaw

bartl
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/03/02 23:06:49 (permalink)
Baah Ben
So you are from New Milford!  Know it well.  So, if I can ask you the same question I ask everyone from Bergen County and nobody responds..Have you ever heard of Tracy's Nine Mile House in Little Ferry? 

Heard of it, never eaten there.

bartl
RE: Harold's in Lyndhurst, NJ 2009/08/03 13:35:04 (permalink)
Update: I was in Parsipanny yesterday, tried out the Harold's there. Not as good as Edison, and they don't cure their own pastrami any more, but they are on a par with many New York deli's (one step below Katz's, Stage, and Carnegie, in my opinion).
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1