Harold's in New Jersey

Author
rebi
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2009/04/03 12:21:22 (permalink)

Harold's in New Jersey

After reading so much about Harold's Deli and seeing those awesome pictures here, I just had to try it myself.  On the way back from NY, we found Harold's last Sunday night.  When we arrived it wasn't too crowded, although we saw many folks dragging carry-out bags to their cars.

First thing we saw when we got seated, was a HUGE bowl of matzo ball soup on a neighboring table.  It was the biggest serving I'd seen.  My husband and I decided that we'd give it a try since we've had matzo ball soup at various places, including my mom's house.  Even though it amazed us at $15.95, we decided we'd just take the rest home.  The matzo ball was good, nice and soft.  The soup, however, was lacking real chicken soup (and salt) flavor.  Plus, we got too many pieces of carrots and celery but no onions as garnishes.  It did come hot though and that's always a good thing.

We went to the enormous pickle bar and I adored the cabbage/health type salad--so much so that I even muggled some to take home.  Loads of rye bread was at the pickle bar too and I looked for butter, but found none.  I later realized that this bread was to make other sandwich was the giant deli sandwiches that they served you.  We shared such a corned beef sandwich and although it was loaded with meat, I found the meat lacking in some "corned" flavorings......not enough pickling spices were used.  Plus, it was actually a bit lean for us as we want to get all the fat and calories we can whenever we eat unhealthy food!!
Regardless, we ate our corned beef after asking for a side of cole slaw, which was very good.  We had enough corned beef to take home to make two sandwiches the next day so even though they ask lots of $$ for it, it ended up being worth it for quanity alone.  Where I live in Maryland, we have Brooklyn's deli and the corned beef sandwiches are quite superior to Harolds, albeit not quite so big or costly.

We also ordered a hot dog, that was economical at $4.95.  We just had to try it.  I really liked the flavor of it although my husband thought it was fair.  I also like that it was either grilled or fried because the skin was crunchy.

We were too full to try the desserts, but perhaps next time.  The prices of their dinners are very high so we'd have to accompany more people next time.

15 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/03 13:15:20 (permalink)
    At which Harold's did you dine?
    DPuro329
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/03 16:41:42 (permalink)
    Their prices are definitely expensive, but worth it if you can share. I've gone there before with my family and 2 corned beef sandwiches was enough to feed all 4 of us with leftovers for all 4 of us for lunch the next day. I've always eaten at the Parsippany one which I recently learned isn't even owned by Harold.

Dave

Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/04 11:53:15 (permalink)
    DPuro329

Their prices are definitely expensive, but worth it if you can share. I've gone there before with my family and 2 corned beef sandwiches was enough to feed all 4 of us with leftovers for all 4 of us for lunch the next day. I've always eaten at the Parsippany one which I recently learned isn't even owned by Harold.

Dave

...and, the East Brunswick location that Harold opened last year is now closed, a victim of the recession.  If someone wants REAL Harold's food, Edison is the only location.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8496
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/04 12:28:17 (permalink)
    rebi-sounds like you had a decent dining adventure. As far as matzo ball soup goes, my kosher friends actually boil a chicken along with carrots and celery-discard meat ( actually they take the chicken, coat with a kosher breading and bake)when done an add matzo balls.So there isnt much saltiness-they never use a chicken flavored base.So maybe you had the real thing? Just an observation...
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/04 14:39:53 (permalink)
    rebi the thing I've always wanted to try is matzo brei, but I don't know of anywhere nearby that serves it.  I'll probably have to wait until I'm someplace in Yankeeville.  
    BigAl72
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/05 01:04:33 (permalink)
     Matzo Brei is easy enough to make yourself. It's pretty much just French Toast made with Matzo. This recipe is good enough, though I would add a splash of milk to the eggs also. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Ruth-Reichls-Matzo-Brei-109646 I always ate Matzo Brei with strawberry jelly, but you can also eat it with any other jelly or maple syrup, apple sauce, or cinnamon and sugar.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/06 21:07:06 (permalink)
    REBI: I always recommend the pastrami over the corned beef at Harold's...
    the pastrami is really what they are known for...
    (yes, their  corned beef is a little too lean for me, too)

And speaking of matzo brei, my new bf can't believe I've never had it before...
    and he wants to make it for me ; I'm game!!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/06 21:21:44 (permalink)
    Nancy - there are two popular varieties and both have their supporters.  One comes like a pancake and is somewhat firm.  The other variety comes all chopped up..sort of like scrambled eggs in appearance, and is much softer.  I like the chopped up kind much better.

It's very easy to make.  Ther key is letting the matzoh soak in very hot water long enough to get the desired consistancy.  IF you like the pancake type and slightly firm, then yo do not want to soak the matzoh too long.  If you like the soft chopped version, you need to get the matzoh softer. 

In either case you must drain all the water out of the matzoh or you will have a watery mess on your hands.

Once that is done, the more eggs you use, the fluffier the outcome.  Again, if you like a firmer flat pancake end result, you use less egg.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/06 21:40:05 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

rebi the thing I've always wanted to try is matzo brei, but I don't know of anywhere nearby that serves it.  I'll probably have to wait until I'm someplace in Yankeeville.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Matzoh-Brei

rebi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/10 09:13:26 (permalink)

We ate at the Edison location which I believe is the only Harolds now.  Next time I would try Pastrami.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/10 10:19:06 (permalink)
    I think it is funny how so many different people think that matzo brei is so many different things.  I have seen references to French toast, scrambled eggs, and pancakes.  To my friends, I always described it as a matzo omelet (which is going to be most like the pancake-consistency).  The reason I use the omelet analogy is because you can add omelet-like elements to any matzo brei.  I have seen/done green peppers, onions, mushrooms, nova (not all at the same time, perhaps), etc. 

I think that the first comparison to French toast I saw was when the Sterns wrote about Kornblatt's in Portland, OR.  I didn't get the reference at all - until I went there and found that they serve a sweet version of their matzo brei, as well as (what was always to me) the more traditional savory version.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/10 10:53:22 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks for the tips!  Can anybody recommend a particular brand of matzo that would be available in the South, maybe at a Publix?
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/10 12:59:46 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

I think it is funny how so many different people think that matzo brei is so many different things.  I have seen references to French toast, scrambled eggs, and pancakes.  To my friends, I always described it as a matzo omelet (which is going to be most like the pancake-consistency).  The reason I use the omelet analogy is because you can add omelet-like elements to any matzo brei.  I have seen/done green peppers, onions, mushrooms, nova (not all at the same time, perhaps), etc. 

I think that the first comparison to French toast I saw was when the Sterns wrote about Kornblatt's in Portland, OR.  I didn't get the reference at all - until I went there and found that they serve a sweet version of their matzo brei, as well as (what was always to me) the more traditional savory version.

I wondered about that too.  The only matzoh brei that I have had was like an omelette, but not folded.  When I read the french toast reference, I thought that maybe some people didn't crumble the matzoh, just soaking it and dipping it in egg before frying.
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/04/10 13:54:20
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/10 13:51:04 (permalink)
    Nancypalooza

Wow, thanks for the tips!  Can anybody recommend a particular brand of matzo that would be available in the South, maybe at a Publix?

I would think you'd be able to find Manischewitz matzoh in any supermarket there, especially now during Passover.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8085
    Re:Harold's in New Jersey 2009/04/11 12:40:21 (permalink)
    Plus, we got too many pieces of carrots and celery but no onions as garnishes. It did come hot though and that's always a good thing.

Wait until you make it to Los Angeles and try Canters.

You want carrots in your soup?  That will be $2 extra!

By the way, chicken is also extra in the chicken soup.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1