Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
2009/03/13 08:10:06 (permalink)

Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen

After spending a year or so reading the interesting, funny, sometimes puzzling, but always informative recommendations on this site and making the occasional post, I am now ready (maybe) to write a first trip report.  The report covers my recent visit to the Hartford, CT area, a place I had been to many times in the past but never before with such an encyclopedic knowledge base to save me from the chain food places of the world (or at least that part of the world around Hartford).

Before heading out on my journey, I contacted Chris (ayersian) and asked if Amy and he would like to join me one evening at one of the recommended eating places in the area.  Amy is in Iowa, but Chris very kindly agreed to join me for not one but all three nights (actually two, but more about that later).  It was very nice of him to give up his time to show a newcomer around the area, but that’s the type of zeal and kindness I have observed through the postings I have read over the last year.  To all those who have posted trip reports, questions and answers about food and restaurants, and anything else on this site, please know that you are doing a tremendous favor to all who use that information.  My challenge now is to repay that kindness and add to the site (and if I have to eat out more for research purposes, that is a price I’ll pay).

For a while I wondered if this trip was meant to be.  The first week I planned it (March 2), the Northeast was hit by a pretty big snowstorm.  Ironically, we had very little snow in Buffalo (figure that out), but Hartford was walloped.  For some reason I seem to attract snow when I visit Hartford; all my work photographs from earlier visits all have snow in them (well, maybe not the summer ones…).  Because of the weather, I ended up rescheduling the trip for the week of March 9, but Chris was still game for some road-fooding.

Day 1 (Monday, March 9)

The arrival in Hartford was nothing unusual except that it was raining (could it turn into snow?).  I had a plan to try out Mo’s Midtown, even though it closed at 2:00 PM.  After a noon arrival and a quick trip to take care of some work business, I made it to Mo’s by about 12:45 PM.  (Sorry; no photographs of Mo’s).  I had directions but knew I was there when I recognized the storefront from the pictures from the Roadfood site.

The place looked just as it does in the restaurant reviews section of this site, including the plate of semi-cooked bacon waiting for final preparation.  Having read of the good breakfasts at Mo’s and knowing that pizza and burgers lay in my future, I went for the single slice of French toast (filling without being too large), turkey sausage (tasty with a bit of spice), and home fries.  What was different about the offerings for French toast and pancakes was the choice of a large stack, a small stack, or a single piece.  I had not seen any places offer a single piece, but that allowed me to enjoy it without leaving some behind or struggling to finish them all. The pile of home fries was too large to finish (no option for a single home fry), but I made a bit of a dent in them.  With a glass of cranberry juice (does that count as healthy food?), the total bill was only $7.00 before tip.

When I left Mo’s to head over the hotel, I saw that it was no longer raining.  Not such good news, however, because it was now snowing.  The snow in Hartford curse continues.  It snowed all the way to Manchester (CT), where I would be staying just down the street from Pepe’s.  I wondered if the snow would accumulate enough to make me clear the car later, or worse – would Chris be unable to drive down from Massachusetts?  For a while it looked bleak, as the picture below shows the white stuff coming down.

Not to worry, though: the snow ended sometime in the afternoon.  In a while Chris arrived, and we made our way down the street to Pepe’s.  We literally could have walked there (and I should have walked to pre-burn some of the calories I would be taking in over the next day or so).

From reading trip reports and reviews of the New Haven style pizza places, I knew that a white clam pizza was definitely something to try.  Having grown up on North Carolina pizza (not a regional specialty) and now accustomed to Buffalo pizza, I had to admit that the white clam pizza was a big unknown.  However, we did order one, and it was one glorious looking piece of food.

I would say that the pizza did not taste as I expected, but the fact is that I did not know what to expect.  The clams were fresh and gave a nice crunch to the pizza.  All I can think of is garlic bread on steroids, which is probably a weak comparison.  Would I order one again?  Absolutely.

We also ordered a plain tomato pizza with parmesan cheese on it.  As you can see from this picture, the edges were a bit burnt.

I am not averse to crunchy food or burned edges of pizza and really enjoyed the pizza.  It had a good flavor, and the crunchiness of the pizza added to the enjoyment.

Our server was kind enough to bring us another pizza with fewer burn marks on the end, even though we were both fine with what we had.

To drink we had Foxon Park white birch beer, which I had never had but really enjoyed.  It was flavorful without being sickeningly sweet.

Of course we were taking photographs, although Chris’s will be better than mine.  Here is the obligatory picture of a Roadfooder taking a picture of the food.

All in all, it was a wonderful start to Roadfood in CT, and I enjoyed the time that we spend eating and talking about Roadfood and anything else.

Day 2 (Tuesday, March 10)

I had planned to be in the area three nights but ran into a snag at work that meant leaving on Wednesday morning.  Chris was still available Tuesday evening, so we decided to hit three places.  To make sure that we did not run out of room, we decided to split food at each spot to ensure room for more food.

The first stop was Ted’s for a steamed cheeseburger (or half of one each, to be precise).  The restaurant looked smaller than it does on the site or TV, but there was no line outside:

I had never had a steamed cheeseburger in my poor, deprived life, so this was another question mark.  I see from people’s posts that some love them, some hate them, and others don’t see the point.  Being one of those people who like well-done meat (but not burnt to a crisp), I had some reservations but was game to give it a try.   We ordered one cut in half, and moments later it appeared:

The burger was outstanding.  The meat was done enough but not burned.  Sometimes the idea of a steamed burger conjures up images of a mass of loose meat (but not real Iowa loose meat) that might be unappetizing.  Such was not the case. The meat was solid enough and looked just like a regular burger (I mean this in a good way).  I would never have known that the burger was cooked in an unusual manner had I not known its origin.  The burger was tasty and very fresh.  Mustard and ketchup added to its flavor, but I could have eaten it plain, which you cannot say of all burgers.  The roll was fresh as well.

I had expected that the cheese would be a huge overwhelming blob that overtook the burger like a monster in a cheesy movie (no pun intended).  However, the cheese was appropriate to the size of the burger and gave it a good flavor. 

Had we not been planning to cover miles and miles before we called it a night, I could easily have eaten another half burger.  A great start to the evening of the second day.

Sitting at the counter gave us a view of the home fries under construction:

We also had a chance to observe the steamer box in action:

It is interesting to find out that you can buy a steam box at Ted’s for only $250 to $325 each:

Sitting here thinking about that burger, I wonder if I should have bought one.  Getting it through airport security might have been a problem (although maybe the Bradley Airport crew might have recognized the box for what it is).

Ted’s was great, but it was time to move on.  The next visit was to Guida’s:

You know a restaurant has appeal when there is a left turn arrow from the highway that leads only to the plaza that it is in. (Sorry, no picture; I didn't think standing in the highway would be too wise.)   At least the CT DOT has its priorities in the right place.

We ordered a dog to split and had a view of it and the roll on the grill:

We asked for chili, mustard, and relish.  The relish was a new hot relish that had been out for only a month, and is a concoction that the staff makes themselves.  Below are a couple of pictures of the dog in all its glory (sorry for the blurriness):

The relish was outstanding. It was hot enough to make you pay attention but not so hot as to be inedible.  As with Ted’s, I would have eaten another one if not for the knowledge that we had more places to go.

Our last stop for the evening was Shady Glen.  We ordered a couple of items to split:

The cheeseburger with its cheese skirt:

The cheesefurter (hot dog) with its cheese skirt:

Both were very good.  The hot dog was split and grilled.  The burger was thinner than the one from Ted’s and had a good flavor.  Each one is unique and good in its own way.

By this time we were struggling (OK, I was struggling), but who could leave Shady Glen without ice cream?  I had the butter pecan, while Chris had the grape-nut.  Both were very tasty and hit the (rapidly shrinking) spot.

That ended this trip as we called it a night then.

To Chris, thanks for your kindness in spending a couple of nights with a Roadfood rookie.  It was a great time, and I look forward to returning to the area again (which is likely for work this year).  I only hope I can reciprocate one day in Buffalo with Ted’s hot dogs, Anderson’s ice cream and roast beef, and all the other stuff that I need to be more diligent about hitting.  Thanks also to all whose trips reports, updates on hidden gems of restaurants, and other postings have been an inspiration.

Rob

post edited by Buffalo Tarheel - 2009/03/13 08:25:12

39 Replies Related Threads

myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 08:16:03 (permalink)
    Great pictures and a super report!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 08:17:21 (permalink)
    Superb report.
    Connecticut sure has some good food.

Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 08:32:14 (permalink)
    Folks,

Thanks for your kind words.  I'll never be a great photographer, but the food speaks for itself.  If Chris posts some of his pictures, you may be able to see some better images.  You are right about the food in CT.  We hit only a few places, and I am already making a short list (maybe a long list) for the next trip.

Rob
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 08:32:58 (permalink)
    Excellent report - even though we are in the state, we haven't tried Ted's yet.  Have been meaning to, just one of those things we haven't hit yet.  Big fan of Guidas, and I think we have made a significant investment in Pepe's profit since they've opened in Manchester LOL.  I have to say  my experience with the Shady Glen burger was average at best, and I didn't care for the cheese thing they do, so we don't frequent that particular Roadfood spot.
    I'm sorry you weren't here a bit later in the year - Harry's Drive In (in addition to being a National Historic registered building) has one of the best burgers in CT, imho, and there are a bunch of other hot dog places that are "must-do".  Having experienced my first Ted's in Buffalo last year, however, you have your own amazing local dog place, so I don't feel too bad for you!
    I enjoyed your perspective of my own roadfood stomping grounds!
    doggydaddy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 08:42:01 (permalink)

A great report with one of the best guides to be found on the East Coast.  Your stops were part of my 'must tries' and I have been to all of them. Good work.
    The tomato pie was overdone, the top should not have been that dark, the edges were fine, but everything else was spot-on. Foxon Park is a essential addition, even for those who prefer beer with their pizza.  The birch beer is the correct choice, in my book.

This is one case where I wish I knew about this trip and meeting with Chris, as Ted's is only 15 minutes away. You don't have to buy a burger steamer. Go to 'Recipe and Cooking techniques', and you can do it yourself at home.

mark

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 08:45:06 (permalink)
    That was great!  Very nice report!  Thanks for sharing.

John
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 09:16:20 (permalink)
    Mark,

Sorry I didn't think to contact you as well.  The trip plans were sort of hectic.  I will be back in the area soon (without the snow, I imagine) and will let you know.  I would be glad if you could join me on the next set of food stops (which I suspect will include another Ted's trip).

Thanks for the reminder about the techniques you posted for steaming burgers at home.  I am going to try them in the near future.

Rob
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 09:18:03 (permalink)
    TnTinCT

Excellent report - even though we are in the state, we haven't tried Ted's yet.  Have been meaning to, just one of those things we haven't hit yet.  Big fan of Guidas, and I think we have made a significant investment in Pepe's profit since they've opened in Manchester LOL.  I have to say  my experience with the Shady Glen burger was average at best, and I didn't care for the cheese thing they do, so we don't frequent that particular Roadfood spot.
    I'm sorry you weren't here a bit later in the year - Harry's Drive In (in addition to being a National Historic registered building) has one of the best burgers in CT, imho, and there are a bunch of other hot dog places that are "must-do".  Having experienced my first Ted's in Buffalo last year, however, you have your own amazing local dog place, so I don't feel too bad for you!
    I enjoyed your perspective of my own roadfood stomping grounds!

Thanks for the kind words.  I suspect I will be back soon and able to hit the hot dog spots in the warmer weather.  I need to make a visit to the local Ted's (maybe today at lunch).

Rob
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1034
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 10:02:54 (permalink)
    Great report!

My husband has been teaching at UConn Law School's summer session the last few years, and for the past two, stayed in Manchester.  We love Shady Glen. I like the cheesefurters -- I'm don't much care for hamburgers, as a rule. The Almond Joy ice cream is fantastic.

We ate at the Pepe's in Manchester last summer, and enjoyed it.  But I'm not a clam fan, so we just had a regular red sauce pizza.  It was good, but not (I know this is heresy) the best I've ever had.

The great thing about being there in the summertime is being able to make the hot lobster roll tour.  During two long weekends in the past two years, we went to Abbott's, Johnny Ad's, Lenny & Joe's,  Sea Swirl, and my personal favorite, Westbrook Lobster (in Clinton).  Unfortunately, my husband won't be teaching at UConn this summer, so I won't get to repeat that trip.

I am going to New London later this month to speak at the Coast Guard Academy.  I should have time for one dinner on my own.  Does anyone know whether Captain Scott's (listed on this site in the Restaurant section) is any good?  And whether it is open this time of year? 
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 10:05:15 (permalink)
    /me starts measuring myself for a cheese skirt

This is a really excellent report, and let me just say that I sympathize about the coming from North Carolina and trying foods that are unfamiliar to you part.  Whenever I get up there to sample some stuff, things will be unfamiliar to me too.  Chris has like his PhD in that though--well versed on both planets.  And super lovely about it too.

I think it's like what we were talking about in the 'foods that don't photograph well'--the camera likes sharp edges, so when you're taking a picture of something like a hot dog covered with relish, it starts to go 'huh?' 

I would have thrown down on that pizza with the burnt parts.

Lovely job Rob--I hope there are many more to come from you in the future!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 10:49:07 (permalink)
    Great report! You picked some great places, and your descriptions of the food was excellent.Pictures are fine-keep it up!
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 11:13:41 (permalink)
    Ribdog, Rumaki, Nancy, and Ann,

Thanks for your kind words as well.  Having finally taken the plunge of taking pictures when at RF places, maybe now I can generate other reports in the future.  You all have written many posts that I have looked at, so I hope to be able to add somewhat to the site.  I have business trips this year coming up to Wichita, KS; Bakersfield, CA; and of course back to Hartford, so the opportunities are there.

Chris was an excellent guide and a great person to spend time with.  He definitely has a PhD in Roadfood and teaches from practical experience. 

Rob
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 11:22:43 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel-
    The problem with posting such an excellent report the very first time out is that we will be expecting it from you all the time now!!!  Such good photos and descriptions, you obviously have an enthusiasm for the subject.   Were you selfconscious at all about taking the food photos? 

I will be in the same area in about a month, so it is nice to see what some of these places look like.  Ted's for sure will be on my "hit list". 

Looking forward to your future reports.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 11:33:19 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Buffalo Tarheel-
    The problem with posting such an excellent report the very first time out is that we will be expecting it from you all the time now!!!  Such good photos and descriptions, you obviously have an enthusiasm for the subject.   Were you selfconscious at all about taking the food photos? 

I will be in the same area in about a month, so it is nice to see what some of these places look like.  Ted's for sure will be on my "hit list". 

Looking forward to your future reports.

Thanks very much for your nice words.  I had an excellent person to take me on the site visits.  I have read many of your reports in the past and don't think I could approach your level of zeal and hard work.   I have really enjoyed reading about the places you have been to (and have them in mind for stops if I am in the area).   It was definitely an enjoyable experience the few days we were visiting the restaurants.

Please let me know when you will be in CT, as maybe that will be the same time I am there (or I could do some creative scheduling).  I'd be glad to see you at Ted's or any of these places.

Yes, I did feel funny about taking pictures, but it helped having Chris with me.  From your experience, is it something that you just become used to doing and not feeling self-conscious?

Rob
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 11:46:13 (permalink)
    You become used to it, but then I think it's easier, frankly, for a woman who can stash the camera in her purse.  Sometimes my pictures are not good because really I've taken them too quickly.  Or I don't catch in the viewfinder that it's blurry or overexposed, although I'm getting better about that.  I take a lot of pictures of weird random things though in general, so that has somewhat made it easier.  I'm just kind of used to whipping out the camera now.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 12:01:49 (permalink)
    Great choices of food and dining companion!  I appreciate that you took the time to describe everything well, instead of just a few captions on the photos.

Keep up the good work.

Nancypalooza:  I chuckled out loud at the image of you in a cheese skirt!!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10204
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 13:16:20 (permalink)
    Buffalo Tarheel-
    Thank you for what you said.  Having another person with you also taking photos of their food does definitely make it easier.  Yeah, I was definitely self-conscious at first, but that went away quickly.  Now, I am used to funny looks and hearing people around me whispering to each other about the nutjob taking pictures of his pie. 

The weekend I will be in Hartford is April 17 & 19.  If you are in town, I would to share a meal with you.  I also plan on making it to Buffalo & Rochester sometime this Summer.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/13 15:03:54 (permalink)
    Excellent report!  Please keep them coming. 
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/19 22:07:27 (permalink)
    Excellent report, it must have been a great roadfood experience.
    having lived in central CT for 50 years and eaten at all those places except Ted's (I won't eat steamed gound meat), & Pepes in Manchester ( wasn't there when I left).
    my observations from the pictures;
    both Pepes pizzas, evidently the cooks throw the pizzas in the oven & take them out when they start burning.
     Ted's,thats why I don't eat steamed ground meat.
    it sounds like you had a great time & ate some good food, thats what its all about. to each his own.
    I don't miss that weather,but I miss the food.
    welcome to Roadfood Buffalo Tarheel

Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Hartford, CT area trip March 9, 2009 week - Pepe's, Ted's, Guida's, and Shady Glen 2009/03/20 12:48:32 (permalink)
    HotDogHead and sk bob,

Thanks for your kind words.  I had a great time and even had a second visit the next week (more details in a new post).  The weather is no fun, considering we had a bit of snow last night in Buffalo, but spring has be coming soon.  Right?  (I may be delusional.)

Rob
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    2nd trip 2009/03/20 13:08:14 (permalink)
    Perhaps this should be a separate trip report, but it does relate to my trip.  After returning home, I found that I needed to return to Hartford the following week (March 15-19).  It was a hectic trip, and I did not have as much time for Roadfood as the first trip.  As you can tell from Chris's posts, he is in Iowa this week working his way through the Breaded Pork Tenderloins.  I did contact Mark (doggydaddy) and asked if he would care for some RF adventures.  Even with the short notice, he was available, so we had one evening to visit and check out some good food.

We went to Pepe's in Manchester.  Showing no imagination, I ordered the white clam pizza and the basic tomato pie (although we did get mozzarella on half of it).  Why mess with a good thing?  Of course we also had the Foxon Park clear birch beer.  Here is a shot of the pizzas, and you can see that the tomato pizza was a bit less burned than the one we had last week:

Of course here is the obligatory picture of the RF-er taking a picture of the other RF-er taking a picture of the first Rf-er... (what happened to the food?):

Although this was my only RF night of the trip, it was a blast.  Mark, thanks for taking the time to visit with me.  It was a great time.

Of course I had to get three extra bottles of the clear birch beer to take home.  On the next trip I will have to find time to go to Foxon Park and buy a selection of beverages.

On this trip I drove down instead of flying because of the short notice and also the fact that it takes just as long to connect and make two flights as it does to drive.  Heading up the I-91 in Springfield to reach the I-90, I happened to look over at one of the exits and saw a sign for Donut Dip.  As soon as I saw the sign, I thought, "That sounds like a Roadfood place."  (It is certainly not Dunkin Donuts, which I have seen all week in Hartford.)  When I got home and looked up the name on the Roadfood site, of course I saw that Donut Dip is a great place to go to.  Aargh!  I should have made a U-turn and gone back for more good stuff to take home.  Oh well, that's another stop I will take on the next trip.

Once again, my thanks to Chris and Mark for their kindness and for being great company.

Rob
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 13:35:37 (permalink)

My part of the story had some possibilities of some photos that would have covered the recently discussed Vietnamese Banh sandwiches and the inclusion of Chinese roast duck from another place. I figured that I would leave early, stop there on the way and eat half a sandwich and take a photograph with the rest to be eaten later.

I went to my favorite Asian mall, and it turned out the Vietnamese restaurant served only pho and I did not want to fill myself up on that. Also the supermarket had run out of duck. In fact, everything that they offered from their hot area was sold out.  I did buy the last four BBQ pork buns...
    It was okay as Rob called and said he got off of work early, and that gave me the appetite to eat the pizzas.

So I proceeded onward and met up with Rob. Here are some extra shots of the pizzas from my side of the table.  You can see that one side was closer to the heat...
    Here is the tomato pie with one half having added mozzarella to it.

The clam pie is just straight clams and garlic.  The plump clams were real fresh and did have that briny flavor which cannot be found from a can:

You always need to include a shot of the oven:

And finally, a picture of a Roadfooder taking a picture. It was a pleasure meeting Rob and I hope to do it again.

mark

post edited by doggydaddy - 2009/03/20 13:39:17
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 13:54:38 (permalink)
    You should have been taking pictures of each other with a mirror and really blown our minds.  So is Mark in BT's post, and Rob's in doggydaddy's post?  That's pretty funny.

I have got to try a white clam pizza one of these days; with all that garlic it has to be in my wheelhouse.   And that is *quite* an oven.
    TnTinCT
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 475
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 14:47:44 (permalink)
    LOL - Buffalo/Rob - a recommendation - we did the drive last year from Hartford to Buffalo for vacation, and stopped in Herkimer, NY (10 mins off 90) for what turned out to be a terrific roadfood experience - Frank and Burgys.  One of my fave burgers so far from a roadfood recommendation.

PS - give us a ping next time you're in town if you're looking for some dining companions!

Terri & Tim
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 15:01:20 (permalink)
    TnTinCT

LOL - Buffalo/Rob - a recommendation - we did the drive last year from Hartford to Buffalo for vacation, and stopped in Herkimer, NY (10 mins off 90) for what turned out to be a terrific roadfood experience - Frank and Burgys.  One of my fave burgers so far from a roadfood recommendation.

PS - give us a ping next time you're in town if you're looking for some dining companions!

Terri & Tim

Thanks for the recommendation.  Traveling on the Thruway is a bit of a culinary desert, so having a choice nearby is great.  I read your report earlier (including seeing your pictures from Ted's Hot Dogs) but did not pick up on the Frank and Bergys visit.

Thanks also for the invitation.  I will be sure to give you a note before the next trip.  These visits with RF'ers have been great so far, and I imagine we would also have an enjoyable time.

Rob
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 16:26:08 (permalink)
    Yummazing!  You did great!

Who knew that simple items like hot dogs and hamburgers could be so different?

Loved the pictures and descriptions so much that I'm actually drooling. I had to send my co-worker out for some lunch for me.

I want a white pizza, but have to stick to what's available around here in the boring Valley of Los Angeles.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 16:35:43 (permalink)
    Marlene--I like Carmine's in South Pass, and Casa Bianca has to have a white pizza.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 16:43:58 (permalink)
    I see...Pepe's..Sorry.

Fantastic report!  Thanks
    post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/03/20 16:45:43
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:2nd trip 2009/03/20 17:55:28 (permalink)
    now those pizzas look great.
    Buffalo Tarheel, forgot to mention my inlaws live just south of Fredonia in Brocton.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1