Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2006/07/07 04:07:21 (permalink)

Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise?

If so, what did you think? My wife and I went to the one near us last night for the first time. What a disappointment! The burgers were nothing special- we've had better at a local grill & pub, w/ the purchase of a drink, they are only a dollar, and I've grilled much better here at home! The onion stix appetizer was terrible- they tasted like greasy fried batter, and I never did taste any onion! The French fries were terrible- they were almost inedible! When the burgers finally did arrive (The service was extremely slow!), they were missing several items- from condiments to cheese to tomatoes to dill pickle spears, that were supposed to have been either on the burgers, or on the side! It was a very disappointing experience, to say the least- one which I have no desire to repeat!

40 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/07 06:46:59 (permalink)
    I haven't.

There have been threads in the past and I don't recall them being positive.

Sounds to me like one of those places that spend more attention to motif than they do to the food. (Which by the way seems to be a winning formula.)

bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/07 07:16:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I haven't.

There have been threads in the past and I don't recall them being positive.

Sounds to me like one of those places that spend more attention to motif than they do to the food. (Which by the way seems to be a winning formula.)

I'm afraid you're right. It seems that they're more intent on "selling" a theme or philosophy, rather than quality food!
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/07 07:25:30 (permalink)
    Here in Myrtle we've got both a Margaritaville and a Cheeseburger
    in Paradise. Now I'm a Jimmy Buffet fan but the food is not good.
    Burgers stink, and are way overpriced. The Margaritaville is kind of
    a fun place to hang out, just the atmosphere, but its packed in the
    summer and the service stinks too.
    HadYourPhil
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/23 16:29:32 (permalink)
    Very over rated. BBQJIMBOB describes the experience accurately.
    jrnest
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/23 16:47:06 (permalink)
    The one in Key West,fl is the same. A lot of hype and bland food.
    quote:
    Originally posted by HadYourPhil

Very over rated. BBQJIMBOB describes the experience accurately.
    joshua362
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/23 17:45:25 (permalink)
    Same experience here in Key West. I asked that the bun be toasted and was told that they only prepare it "as in the song". $60 lunch for 2. Stay away.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 705
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/23 17:55:46 (permalink)
    Where's Mr Hoffman reminding is this is fast food. HA HA HA
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/23 20:23:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

Where's Mr Hoffman reminding is this is fast food. HA HA HA

The service was WAY too slow and the bill WAY too high for this to be fast food!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/24 05:42:42 (permalink)
    Been to the original Margaritaville in KW..
    Why I dont know.
    I dont like the music having it shoved down my throat for the 10 years I lived in the keys.
    Here now where I live, is both --Paradise and Marg--
    I dont want to even waste my time typing out the full name of those places.
    Total tourist come on. why bother unless you want to listen to taped Buffet?
    You can do that in your car. If you want to listen to him anyway.
    Dont go.
    Buy a CD and cook your own food.
    Fred Ferris
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/24 13:55:19 (permalink)
    Nothing makes me lose my appetite more than Jimmy Buffet "music" (blech!)....glad to have this confirmed as crappy just as I suspected....
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/24 14:05:47 (permalink)
    Ummm... Jimmy Buffett fan here.. Of his music that is.. Using a name to sell something, it should be up there you'd think... I've heard way before Roadfood that the burgers where nothing special... Overpriced at that.. You would think they'd put a little heart and quality into a product that receives such recognition. Oh well, their loss..
    ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/24 14:07:46 (permalink)
    The one in Maryland SUCKS big time! What a rip-off!

Everyone in this area who wants a good burger (from a chain, that is) goes to RED ROBIN!

The kids who, with their yuppie parents, flock to the ROBIN drive my wife and me crazy.

But, HEY, kids gotta have good burgers, too! It could be considered "CHILD ABUSE" giving a kid a Buffet burger!
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/24 14:12:30 (permalink)
    Not only does the one in Maryland suck, but there was a place in Frederick called "Cheeseburgers and Paradise" that a guy had owned for years and years, made his own ice cream, etc. Jimmy Buffett's attorneys issued a "cease and desist" order on him and he had to change the name, even though the place had existed for years. Mr. Buffett was kind enough, however, to offer the owner four tickets to his next concert. What a guy. What an idiot.[|)]
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 700
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/25 19:17:27 (permalink)
    Crap, I'm stuck going there tomorrow night for my boyfriend's sister-in-law's birthday party. At least I'm not paying for it.
    tigerborn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/25 19:48:51 (permalink)
    Burgers and drinks are mediocre. Their slider appetizer is very salty. The drinks are not that great. Go elsewhere.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/25 19:56:44 (permalink)
    I went to the one at Waikiki Beach. Didn't see what the big deal was. The slice of cheese on the burger was so thin that you couldn't even taste it.

ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/26 12:58:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by abe_froeman

Crap, I'm stuck going there tomorrow night for my boyfriend's sister-in-law's birthday party. At least I'm not paying for it.

Abe:

Let us know what you thought about the place! There are a LOT of people out there who apparently buy into the HYPE, IMHO.

Always interested in what someone else has to offer.
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/26 23:01:39 (permalink)
    Ok, here it goes...it was not as bad as it expected (please don't throw things at me!) I was expecting much worse after what everyone said here. I ordered a side salad, and the dressing was by far the highlight of the whole meal- the Island Dressing (a cream-based curry dressing) was really good. I'd definitely go back for the salad. In addition to the salad, I had a pina colada and the mushroom swiss burger with the sweet potato chips....it seems that their theory is "Make it salty/sweet/greasy enough and people will like it." It wasn't a terrible burger (plenty of cheese, unlike Saint Matt's experience) but it was very salty, and didn't have much else going for it, and it was more well-done than I asked for. The pina colada, while tasty (didn't even taste the booze and it had chunks of pineapple in it, with a nice cinnamon-y flavor...a llittle too ice cream-y though) was VERY sweet.

Yeah, it's a lot of hype- definitely not the world's best burger, as it was billed when the chain first moved into my area. I can think of 10 places that are better in my area (when we heard it would be a 35-45 minute wait to seat our party of 10, I suggested we go to The Choo Choo across the street- a classic old burger place where your food comes to you on a model train! The wait only ended up being about 20 mins., though.) But I'd definitely go back for the salad, and the service wasn't bad- our waitress was nice enough to ask if I wanted bleu cheese sprinkled on my salad- I most certainly did not and I appreciated her asking.

Like the conversation I had with another Chicago person in the "I'll never go there again" thread (can't find it now- was it deleted?)- I had a terrible experience at my local Stir Crazy and someone else (tsores? who was it? argh!) had good experiences there, at least service-wise, which was my biggest problem when I went. Every location, every night, every server is different.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/26 23:34:15 (permalink)
    I've been to the one on Maui twice. The first time it was early on a weeknight in mid-October. The place wasn't crowded at all, I believe we sat right down and there were a lot of empty tables. I recall thinking it was great (of course the atmosphere helped a lot). Good food and good service.

Six years later, our next trip to Maui, we tried it again. The place was packed, we had a long wait, and the food was completely unimpressive. The service even worse. Apathetic, to say the least. Can't for the life of me figure out why I was so impressed the first time, and I'm in no rush to go back.
    ctrueder
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/27 12:29:20 (permalink)
    Abe . . . LOOK OUT! . . . . here comes a ROCK!

Just kiddin!

I like your attitude: "If you can't find something to say that is good, then don't say nothin' at all."

I think I botched that old cliche, but I am GLAD you found some positives about your evening's experience.

If I had tried the salad, I probably would have agreed. But, I was (unfortunately) focusing on the burger, and I was disappointed.

Anyway, if you ever get around a Red Robin" try one of their burgers!

No, I don't "work" there (I would probably eat up all their profits ), but for a "CHAIN", they have a good product, AND they are not overly FULL of themselves!
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 507
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/27 12:40:25 (permalink)
    hey, we come here to find out where to eat, and that sometimes means saying
    something bad. But in a helpful way, lol.

again, the experience is fun, especially if you're on vacation. I've taken
    friends there who really want to go. I'm just prepared for a long wait, an
    expensive meal, and another attempt to find something I like on the menu.
    russ2304
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/27 13:55:34 (permalink)
    I AGREE 100% WITH ALL THE POST----------M'VILLE IN KW IS A REAL BUMMER------SUPRISE IN KW AT SLOPPY JOE'S----- YOU CAN GET A SANDWICH CUBANO THAT WOULD MAKE ONE UNDERSTAND THE GREATNESS OF THIS OFFERING FROM THE PEARL OF THE CARRIBEAN
    RUSS
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3287
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/27 22:01:52 (permalink)
    The best cheeseburger in Key West is at the counter of Conch Cupboard Luncheonette in Dennis Pharmacy.

CSD
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/07/28 00:35:58 (permalink)
    Actually, I've been to Red Robin several times, and they're pretty good for a chain. My problem with them is that "medium" is as rare as they'll go and I'm a medium-rare girl. Also, they're a kid-magnet and it's hard to have a relaxing meal there. But they're not overly salty, and they do have those bottomless fries (one round is usually enough for me, though!)

Yeah, that dressing at C.i.P is really good, and it looks like they have some decent entree salads, so maybe the next time I go there (it seems to be a favorite of my boyfriend's SIL, and we go out with them fairly frequently, so I'd imagine we'll have to go again sometime....funny, though, she gets the crab cakes, not a burger. I didn't have a taste of hers, so who knows, they could be good.)

ctrueder, trust me, I can be pretty critical of a restaurant and if they have no redeeming value, I have no problem telling you what's wrong. But at some point, a foodie inevitably gets stuck going to places like this (C.i.P., Olive Garden, etc.) so it's good to know what is good at there so at least you can eat that.

pkuczynski
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/08/02 12:27:40 (permalink)
    Just some Cheeseburger in Paradise background information. Supposedly Jimmy Buffet penned the song when he ate at the B & B on Cabbage Key, FL (off the west coast of FL near Port Charlotte). When we had a boat, we stopped there for a burger. As I remember it was pretty good. The inside of the place is litterally covered with one dollar bills, that when they fall off, are donated to charity. If you're ever in that area, I recommend you stop in. Its a very quaint, interesting place.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/08/07 22:39:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

The best cheeseburger in Key West is at the counter of Conch Cupboard Luncheonette in Dennis Pharmacy.

CSD

Dennis Pharmacy is a well known institution there in Key West..
    A trip to KW, isnt complete without a stop there!
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/08/08 11:38:21 (permalink)
    I ate at a CIB once - once and only once. Dreadful food - think Planet Hollywood/Hard Rock cafe. I would be shocked if anything there is cooked to order. Every item ordered by the group I was in was tepid and flavorless - obviously sitting under low heat for hours. If you want to waste your money inflating Jimmy Buffett's wallet just for the JB experience, well by all means this place will accommodate you. If you're looking for a good meal for an honest price, I'd steer a wide berth.
    Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/08/08 11:56:41 (permalink)
    Dennis Pharmacy luncheonette, wow, you're taking me back!

Last time I was there was probably about 15 years ago, and I was amazed that it was pretty much the same as I remembered from 25 years earlier. Glad to hear it's still around. That I might travel for, but not for a celebrity chain burger.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Has Anyone Eaten at Cheeseburger in Paradise? 2006/08/08 12:27:57 (permalink)
    i've been in paradise when i've eaten a cheeseburger but i don't think i've ever eaten a cheeseburger in paradise
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1