Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com?

Author
hotdogz
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2012/02/28 13:40:35 (permalink)

Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com?

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I know it's a hyped-up website, but has anyone here actually ordered the
book from buildafoodtruck.com? Is it any good? Any experiences with the site and the book would be appreciated.

Thanks.

16 Replies Related Threads

djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/02/28 16:49:01 (permalink)
    I haven't heard that one...are you trying to build an enclosed food truck or just a hot dog cart?  If hot dog cart, I bought the EZ cart dvds and my cart is about done....highly recommend them. 
    hotdogz
    Junior Burger
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/02/29 14:17:41 (permalink)
    Djdawg,

Good question. I want to build an enclosed hot dog trailer. I came across the EZ dvds and I'm also considering the dvds from buildacart.com. I know those guys are both putting out a quality product.

I was wondering about buildafoodtruck's book because the site says their plans are for enclosed trailers as well as trucks. I wouldn't want to spend over a hundred dollars on one of the dvd sets for building an open cart and not have enough info for the kind of rig I'd like to build...

Thanks for the reply. Hope things go well with your cart.
    NotJustDawgs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/04 21:59:14 (permalink)
    I bought the book Food Booth when I got the idea to get into the food biz. I found it to be very helpful in my planning. I have been working on my plan for over 5 years now. Lots of researching and lots of time at the drawing board! I have decided to go with a 7x10 enclosed trailer and finish out the inside myself.
    If you take the time to read all the info available on this site you will find all the answers for your questions. The people on here are great and I thank them for taking their time in sharing their knowledge. True pros!
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/05 07:09:10 (permalink)
    NotJustDogs: just an idle comment on your plan...I have a 6x10 trailer right now and deeply regret not going bigger. If you are planning a build-out from scratch, I highly recommend starting with a bigger trailer. Remember, you can always leave part of the trailer empty if you have too much space, but you can never make the trailer bigger if it turns out to be too small. I have a friend with a 14x8 trailer, and he had room for such things as full-size sinks (trust me...you'll wish you had them!), an upright freezer, and a cash register (all things I could never hope to fit into my trailer).
    zumguteetz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/05 09:25:24 (permalink)
    djdawg

I haven't heard that one...are you trying to build an enclosed food truck or just a hot dog cart?  If hot dog cart, I bought the EZ cart dvds and my cart is about done....highly recommend them. 

I agree with this suggestion. I have always thought that Steve Schaible's EZ Build material would be VERY helpful to adapt to a full blown truck or trailer.
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/05 13:31:50 (permalink)
    fyi...also keep in mind that there are some limitations on both styles...enclosed (larger) and non enclosed.  It depends on what you want to be serving I guess but I know there are spots that I will be able to set up (city sidewalks) that someone with a larger, enclosed food truck won't be able to.  Not trying to sway you one way or another but just telling you things I thought about when deciding.  Also there might be more costs involved when getting hd permits, city permits, etc with a larger truck.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/05 21:58:06 (permalink)
    You mention in post#3 that you want to build an enclosed hot dog trailer. Is that all you're planning to sell besides drinks chips, etc. If you're thinking about expanding your menu later on then that's a different build out that will require more space, equipment etc. I suggest you decide what your business plan and both short and long range menu is going to be BEFORE you start building anything. As Stubby77 says, he is limited in what he can do by the size of his trailer.
    Plan your trailer FROM THE INSIDE OUT - NOT THE OUTSIDE IN. Layout an equipment floor plan that will include all the equipment you'll need in the future as well as the present to determine how big your trailer should be.
    Tack the 5 P's up on a wall!
    Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
    NotJustDawgs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/06 00:08:31 (permalink)
    Stubby77  I agree with your advice and it makes total sense. I started my plan outfitting a 20 footer with all the bells and whistles. The more my planing came together, the smaller my needs of a big fully equipped trailer became. My first idea was to target fairs and festivals and hopefully doing large volumes, but in doing so it also means a lot higher start up costs, larger truck, employees ect. ect. After owning a couple of businesses in my life, employees is the last thing I want to deal with anymore.
    I am now retired and it came to light that this venture is a hidden passion i've held for many years. In my layout of a 7x10 trailer, I can fit a dbl steam table, 18" flat top, single door 8 tray topper, 3 10"x12" wash sinks, hand sink, apartment size frig/freezer combo and still have room for bun and chip storage ( not a whole lot) but enough to make it work for the few hours a day I will be working it. Drinks will be in a serve your self ice chests set outside.
    Please give me your thought on it! both good and bad.
    stubby77
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 491
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/06 07:48:42 (permalink)
    If you're targeting fairs and festivals, I cannot imagine that an 18" flat top will be anything close to big enough. I'm in a fixed location with nothing close to festival traffic and there are many times that my 36" flat top isn't big enough. If I were building from scratch I'd go with at least a 40". And honestly, although 10x12 sinks are slightly bigger than mine, those are still pretty small. If you're going to go through the expense and headache of building your own unit, don't put in things that will limit you down the road. For example, many places will allow a self-contained kitchen trailer operate without a commissary. But to do that, you need to make sure you can actually operate without that commissary. That means making sure the sinks are large enough to do all of your dishes, making sure you have enough shelving, refrigerator and freezer space for everything you need to store, etc. Also, many jurisdictions require a separate mop sink - if you're building from scratch, it doesn't cost much to add. One other interesting trend I just learned about: in the wake of all the salmonella outbreaks associated with fruits and vegetables, there is starting to be a push to require separate produce washing sinks. Massachusetts has already passed their law requiring a 2-bay produce sink in all commercial kitchens, and other states are beginning to consider similar regulations.

Of course, if you don't mind paying the extra for a commissary, you might not care about any of this. But to me, if I were building a rig from scratch, I'd do everything I could to make sure it is completely self-contained because it will cost less and work out better in the long run.
    NotJustDawgs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2012/03/07 00:46:00 (permalink)
    Stubby! I agree with everything you have to say! Guess I wasn't clear enough. I am no longer going to target the big events like I started out to do when making up my biz plan. We have a nice university here and I want to give the students good food at an affordable price.
    The reason for the smaller trailer is location. Knowing the food service company contracted with the university, if I set up on any of the university property and competed in any way would open up a 5 gallon can of snakes with fangs!!! I worked for the university for 4 years taking care of all the A/C & R and kitchen equipment on campus. I have a full understanding of how things work there, so I will be limited to a street side set up, any bigger would be different dealings with the city and a not so good location.
    I designed a cart also for the reasons mentioned, but sense the students are here mainly in the colder time of year something with shelter will be a lot nicer to work from.
    Thank you very much for your input and it is well taken
    mandilon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2013/07/21 02:11:04 (permalink)
    Just bought the PDF ebook from buildafoodtruck.com 

Worth 'the whole' $40,  (for me) -on special.

I'm a fiberglass designer/fabricator. Plan to design, make mold and fabricate a couple three four hot dogs for roof mounting.

Planning to design, manufacture and market 'The Ultimate' lunch truck. 100% body shell.  (on the drawing board).

I plan to run my 'rigs' on veggie oil (diesels only).

Marc at: AeroTrucks.com
    mandilon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2013/07/24 13:02:32 (permalink)
    I was 'half asleep' when I purchased this ebook. Browsed through it a few minutes and posted 'my first impression' and went to bed.

Monday morning I start going through it again and low and behold, -NO SUBSTANCE!

I immediately emailed them for a refund, -no response.

Phoned and got the following message: "the number you are calling cannot accept call at this time"

Have re-emailed and phoned numerous times, same as above.

Will contact paypal for my refund.

THIRD time I've bought products with a  PHONY GUARANTEE, singlesnet.com was a $90 loss/one of 'em.

THIEVES EVERYWHERE!

================ these are the two emails I've sent them ==========
    1st---
    The ebook is a super HYPED non-performing product. If it's NOT worth the $40, MUCH LESS the $99! It does NOT have the information I'm looking for and whatever information IS in there is SUPER inadequate! PLUS i hate reading through TYPOS! *****Please refund my purchase money*****  I recommend you RE-WRITE IT with SOLID information AND get a gostwriter. There is potential for this type of ebook. I am going to keep searching for another one as I need such information. THX & Good luck on your RE-WRITEN ebook! 

2nd---
    Do I ask for a refund to paypal?
    Don't understand how this refund thing works.
    One way or the other I'd expected a reply from you.
    I'll try getting my refund via paypay If I don't hear from you "in a timely manner."
    THX & God Bless
    post edited by mandilon - 2013/07/24 13:11:09
    brickboo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2013/07/24 18:01:36 (permalink)
    Mandilon, I sold and bought on eBay for a couple of years. If you're not satisfied and the seller is uncooperative you won't have any trouble with PayPal refunds. I would notify PayPal ASAP and let them know whats going on.
    hotdogz
    Junior Burger
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2013/12/13 09:52:48 (permalink)
    Haven't checked this thread in a while...

mandilon- Thanks for answering my original question. Sorry you had such a negative experience.

Thanks to everyone else's contributions to the thread too. Lots of useful input.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2013/12/14 22:16:35 (permalink)
    NotJustDawgs
    I bought the book Food Booth when I got the idea to get into the food biz. I found it to be very helpful in my planning.

I just bought Food Booth, The Entrepreneur's Complete Guide to the Food Concession Business, Expanded Second Edition by Barb Fitzgerald (2011) based on your recommendation. I'll tell you want I think when I get it.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Has anyone here actually tried buildafoodtruck.com? 2013/12/22 01:43:33 (permalink)
    I am almost done with the Food Booth book. If you plan on doing special events, I HIGHLY recommend this book. The other three books aimed more at the food truck business don't really talk that much about this aspect, and it's an aspect that can be a big money maker. I know a couple food trucks here that now only do the weekend events and actually pull in more money than when they were working all week.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1