Helpful ReplyHas anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer?

Author
daddypetesbbq
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2013/08/08 14:46:17 (permalink)

Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer?

Hello,
We are in the process of having a Southern Yankee 6' smoker built.  We wanted to also get a Southern Yankee concession trailer to put the smoker on, but they no longer produce concession trailers.  So, we have been looking for a concession trailer vendor who is willing to take our southern yankee smoker and install/weld it onto their concession trailer.  We have found a number of concession trailer vendors, but none have been willing to install the smoker on their trailer. 

We are even willing to try to pay a third party who is willing & able to take the trailer and the smoker and merge them together so-to-speak, but I'm extremely concerned that once the trailer is already built, adding the smoker to the trailer would be even more difficult (though, I am not ready to believe that it's impossible).  I should also note that this smoker is 1700 lbs, so it's not exactly an easy 'slide it onto the trailer and be done' type of job.

If anyone has any ideas or has done this PLEASE contact us asap!  We need help because our smoker is two weeks away from being complete, and the concession trailer vendor we thought we were using has just informed us that they won't do the welding of the smoker to the trailer!!!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/09 07:30:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Welding the smoker to the trailer is not an easy task. Yes as you mentioned smokers are heavy and awkward to handle, but more importantly you have to balance the load on the trailer or it'll never pull correctly. And if not in the right location on the trailer it'll be a pain in the butt to work. You just can't dump 1700 lbs on the back or front of a trailer. When I load firewood on my Klose stick burner if not loaded correctly it's all over the road. When loaded correctly you never know it's behind the truck and it weighs a ton. You really need to get someone that knows what they are doing or you'll waste a ton of time and money in your efforts.

I'd spend a lot of time doing searches online trying to find someone that is building units like you want and then send them good pictures, measurements, and the weight figures, then get a quote.

Finally go visit them and look at their workmanship, before you say yes to anything.  Get everything in writing and keep in mind what your asking for is just like someone building a house, they will build it get paid and be done. Only this house gets pulled down the road. If your happy when it's done great but your stuck with the finished product for years.

Good luck.
Jack
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/09 12:14:58 (permalink)
Doc has great advise here.  I've seen a few "trucks" with smokers/big BBQ pits attached and they were pretty neat looking...I would say the best way to start is building the trailer around the smoker so you can balance things properly from the beginning.  Would welding it be necessary?  Could it be properly bolted?  Might make it easier to find someone to do the work if it wasn't so involved...and then if things needed to be moved at any point it would be that much easier.

One of the trucks I saw with attached smoker/bbq had an addition added to the rear of a step van.  Absolutely the worst idea as it completely messes up the geometry but I think the concept, if done well, might be something to look into.  They basically added a solid floor extension and then had the walls all made from expanded metal (and of course steel or aluminum supports).  The chimney/smoke stack was allowed to vent through the rough but I would think a small electric fan would be preferable-and more like a hood type application so it wouldn't completely engulf the trailer with smoke when opening the door.  I think if you had a sizeable hood that covered the smoker with plenty of CFM pulling the smoke out you'd be just fine.  I would just stay away from pulling the smoke from the smoker itself-would kind of defeat the purpose.  Thats why I think a hood would work well as it would expell whatever smoke was in the trailer vs what was in the actual unit.

Hopefully that makes sense...good luck!
fishscale28
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/09 12:18:55 (permalink)
After looking at the smoker on their website perhaps you could follow the idea above with expanded metal walls in the back half of a trailer, solid roof with built in fans (no hood) and try to center the smoker over the axle.  The rest of the equipement or whatever you needed could be put around the trailer to balance the weight and that might work out well enough.  I think an open format with the expanded metal would be best for air flow and would still keep creatures, etc. out...
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/09 21:00:25 (permalink)
most pro trailer builders can build a trailer with what is called a porch and mount your smoker. but you just about have to have the smoker or ready to have it shipped to them.when you order the trailer you have to tell them about the smoker because the axles will need to be installed farther back due to the weight of the smoker.look on eBay and you'll see BBQ concession trailers from companies that build the type you want.
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/09 21:24:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Here's a site that has a lot of info on it for people building smokers, but some threads also have trailer builds.  You may want to ask on this board if anyone can help:
http://www.phpbbserver.co...7&mforum=smokinjim
Another site would be:
http://www.thesmokering.c..orum/viewforum.php?f=30
It would have been better to find the trailer builder, then do a layout with him, then buy the smoker based on his input.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10332
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/10 02:47:23 (permalink)
Have you considered buying or DIYing a Food Truck and pulling a trailer with the smoker on it behind the Food Truck? A smoker on its own trailer would be easier to balance out for weight distribution.
Another website http://www.customconcessions.com/
post edited by Foodbme - 2013/08/10 02:53:26
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/10 23:02:06 (permalink)
  I'm a member of the smoke ring,and many on there have done what you want to do.ask and you'll get many answers to help you.

post edited by daddywoofdawg - 2013/08/14 13:12:46
daddypetesbbq
Junior Burger
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/12 22:16:47 (permalink)
Yes, this is exactly what we did.  We thought we found a trailer vendor who was going to be able to not only build the concession trailer, but to allow us to have the completed smoker shipped directly to them so they could build around the smoker.  Unfortunately, something must have gone wrong with the communication because now they say the manufacturing plant stopped making these arrangements because they had too many issues with other bbq smoker vendors who didn't get the smoker to them in a timely manner or when the smoker arrived they had too much trouble with trying to install the smoker.  So, now we're back at square one looking for a trailer manufacturer who has done this in the past and is willing to do it again - the other obstacle is that we're in Western Michigan and there aren't any concession trailer manufacturers in our area.  (there are lots of trailer manufacturers, but none who specialize in concession trailers - they all subcontract their concession trailers to out of state manufacturers. Several of them have wanted to give it a shot, but we really need someone with actual experience to get this done).  So we've been trying to find a manufacturer that is at least within a good distance from us so that we could easily travel there to see their work and visit the build as it comes along.  
daddypetesbbq
Junior Burger
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/12 22:21:00 (permalink)
The type of concession trailer we would like to 'attach' the smoker to is the type with a porch on the back.  So, we would have a 8.5 x 22 trailer that has a 14' enclosed kitchen and an 8' porch for the smoker.  We know exactly what we want and have drawings and layouts, but the problem has been in finding a well-qualified concession trailer vendor who is willing (and able) to receive the smoker and install it mid-production on the trailer.  
daddypetesbbq
Junior Burger
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/12 22:26:02 (permalink)
When we first started this process, we did see the exact concession trailer we would like on eBay, but the manufacturer is nowhere near us (appx. 20 hours away) - so it would be a total site unseen process, which worries me.  However, we are seriously contemplating moving down this route because trying to do this locally is becoming a logistical nightmare/impossibility.  

Maybe we should go into the Midwest BBQ Concession Trailer business...seems to be a business opportunity...lol.  
daddypetesbbq
Junior Burger
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/12 22:29:20 (permalink)
We have a 'bbq mentor' in the local area who has a mobile concession trailer.  We talked to him about the pros and cons of having a trailer vs. a food truck and he (and several others) have advised against getting a food truck because they have seen many times where if there are troubles with the truck, the business is shut down...but if you have a trailer, if there are vehicle problems, we just borrow a truck from a friend who has a truck that can handle the weight.  So, we have not pursued a food truck option at all.
daddypetesbbq
Junior Burger
Re:Has anyone installed a bbq smoker on a concession trailer? 2013/08/12 22:43:06 (permalink)
Thanks alot - I had a link to those sites a while back, but had lost them along the way.  Looks like there is some great information - I think we're getting closer!
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1