Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker?

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4088
2012/11/21 08:22:23 (permalink)

Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker?

This one:  http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2012/09/introducing-ninja-cooking-system.html .
(Of course, Wal-Mart sells it for $50. less than the suggested retail of $199).

Today, Mrs. Metro is preparing boeuf bourguignon fron Emeril's wonderful, traditional recipeMy tasks in this complicated endeavor are:
1) to drive to Dallas and go to Eatzi's on Lover's Lane and purchase the perfect baguettes & French butter and
2) after, to hand wash our le creuset cast iron & ceramic stew pot.

(This "wonder pot" actually costs more than the Ninja: http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/category_Round-French-Ovens_10151_-1_20002_21056 , but is one heavy, clumsy bit*h to try and clean in a double sink!)

BTW:  for your enjoyment, here is Julia Child preparing this wonderful dish as my beloved French grandmother used to:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA2ys8C-lNk .

------------------------------
Forgive the digression:  has anyone tried this Ninja Steam Oven?

7 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2093
    Re:Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker? 2012/11/21 09:47:30 (permalink)
    It looks like a 'super' roaster with all the extra nobs & timer.   I don't see that it can do any more than my 18 gt ($25) roaster (Walmart, oyster or rival).   I did 2 turkeys in my roaster last year (after smoking for 1 1/2 hr) and planning to do the same tonight.  After smoking, move the turkeys or ham to the roaster and set at 180 F; then go to bed; Done by morning with lots of drippings.

The Ninja looks to be about half the size of my roaster.   ... I have a 6 qt slow cooker (with insert) & a large electric frying pan (set foil or heat proof pans in), which I have used each as roaster/warmer for multiple dishes at the same time.   ... My wife loves her NuWave for dry roasting.

$200 looks to be bit much and doesn't appear to have any advantage over what I use now.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker? 2012/11/21 11:06:30 (permalink)
    One of the advantages (from the infomercial) is that - for slow cooking - you can sear the meat and sautee the onions in it prior to adding the fluids for the slow cook.  Thus, there is no need to use, then deglaze, frying and saute pans.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1311
    Re:Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker? 2012/11/21 19:09:25 (permalink)
    For $250, you can have one by All-Clad:

http://www.williams-sonom...-with-aluminum-insert/
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker? 2012/11/21 19:38:26 (permalink)
    bartl and edwmax,

Even though the All-Clad does have a removable pot in which one can saute & sear, the other products are pretty much single function; the Ninja commercial shows it roasting, saute-ing, slow cooking, and even baking a cake!

(By the way, did you know that All-Clad began as Composite Metals, Inc. of the micro-town of Wylandville, PA - a "suburb" of my birthplace of Eighty-Four?  Their original business was to manufacture the 'blanks' for the "new" dimes, quarters, and halves after we stopped minting them in silver in 1962).
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re:Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker? 2012/11/21 19:58:19 (permalink)
    Metro Jim,
    Save your Money and just buy Slow Cooker Liners for your existing  le creuset cast iron & ceramic stew pot.

Saves all that Clean-up PITA! (Available in a grocery store near you!)
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/11/21 19:59:42
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2093
    Re:Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker? 2012/11/21 20:10:04 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

bartl and edwmax,

Even though the All-Clad does have a removable pot in which one can saute & sear, the other products are pretty much single function; the Ninja commercial shows it roasting, saute-ing, slow cooking, and even baking a cake!

The 18 qt roaster will go to 400 deg F, so it can certainly bake a cake or two of them at the same time.   In the large electric frying pan, I have baked a meat loaf and cooked butter beans at the same time using foil pans.  The electric frying pan can roast, saute, and slow cook too.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker? 2012/11/22 09:24:01 (permalink)
    O.K., so back to my original question:  has anyone tried the Ninja Steam Oven/Slow Cooker ("as advertised on T.V.")? 

The infomercial is very convincing (but aren't they all!), but we all know that "as seen on T.V." is usually quite different when we actually handle the product.

Frankly, the only reason that I am fascinated by this product, aside from its seemingly unique versatility, is the fact that COSTCO now carries their blender/food processor.  Thinking back, nothing I have ever bought from Price Club/COSTCO over the past three decades or so has been junk.  The "special" CNBC ran on them a few months ago showed me why: anything that goes on their shelves - from appliances to toys to peanut butter cups - is tested by them to a standard that "Consumer Reports" would envy.

So, if it ever appears on the COSTCO shelves (for the COSTCO price!), I'll buy one.  As I have told several times in these forums, one of the best kitchen purchases we ever made was a Cuisinart Griddler (a much improved version of the Foreman Grill) which we got at COSTCO for $59 at a time when, e.g., Macy's and Bed, Bath, & Beyond had it "on sale" for $129, "marked down" from the suggested retail of $149.
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/11/22 10:05:18
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1