Has anyone used a La Caja China Pig Roaster?

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10110
2012/07/22 04:38:55 (permalink)

I've been looking at these for years trying to make up my mind if they work as advertised and are worth the investment.
They've come out with several new models recently to make it easier and more flexible to use.
I'd be interested in hearing from some actual users.
They will be demonstrating them on TV. I assume EDT.
- La Caja China with Mo Rocca this Sunday morning, July 22,2012 at 9:00am on CBS
- La Caja China in Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern this Monday night, July 23,2012 at 9:00pm on the Travel Channel

6 Replies Related Threads

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2070
    Re:Has anyone used a La Caja China Pig Roaster? 2012/07/22 08:12:47 (permalink)
    I looked at the website.  It is a metal lined plywood box with an open top.    The hot charcoal sits on top of the  meat and box. 

Be prepared to spend a lot on charcoal.  Most of the heat will go up to the open air, while a little will radiate down into the box.   ... To me there are much better ways to do the same job with less expense of buying charcoal.   ... They lost me, ... I'm not interested.

The plywood acts as an insulator to hold heat in.   Many large box metal grills & smokers can be easily fitted with plywood on the out side (especially if there is a separate fire box like on smokers).   This would reduce the quantity of charcoal or wood needed for a cooking.

I would prefer the large grills & smokers with a 'lid' and the fire box on the side.  These will use much less charcoal & less expensive hardwood; and need less attention while cooking.   ... More time for beer!

My rig isn't big enough to do a whole hog.   I think this is a waste of good meat any way.   But should I need to do one, I would use a fire pit. Put the hog in a half 55 gal drum, then set into the pit and cover.   Or, used a whole drum with lid (not tight) and completely cover; dig up & uncover about 12 -14 hours later.   ... ...

Sorry, I'm not a La Caja China Pig Roaster user and not interested in being one.  I'm sure it can do a good job, but you need a lot of charcoal and need to watch it close to regulate the heat.   ... I like the start and forget methods.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/07/22 08:17:44
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7773
    Re:Has anyone used a La Caja China Pig Roaster? 2012/07/22 13:17:03 (permalink)
    Not me. 

For a lid, you can use a large wok lid that can be purchased inexpensively at a Chinese grocery.  Not one with a brand name on it!

I think its primary function is for roasting pigs so it's too limited for me.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Has anyone used a La Caja China Pig Roaster? 2012/07/22 16:25:28 (permalink)
    mar52
    Not me. 
    For a lid, you can use a large wok lid that can be purchased inexpensively at a Chinese grocery.  Not one with a brand name on it!
    I think its primary function is for roasting pigs so it's too limited for me.

They claim you can do other meats in them as well like a bunch of Chickens or Turkeys.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 369
    Re:Has anyone used a La Caja China Pig Roaster? 2012/07/22 17:08:48 (permalink)
    Never have seen one used in person, but I've seen them used a few times on different TV shows. Looks like an all day or more process. Not sure where the China part comes in either. Never saw anything like it when I lived in China. I'd certainly eat whatever came out of one, tho.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 778
    Re:Has anyone used a La Caja China Pig Roaster? 2012/07/23 13:54:15 (permalink)
    I have wanted one of these for years. The Cuban Microwave I have heared them called. Only takes like 3-4 hours to do a 60-65 lb pig.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Has anyone used a La Caja China Pig Roaster? 2012/07/23 15:53:02 (permalink)
    fishtaco
    I have wanted one of these for years. The Cuban Microwave I have heared them called. Only takes like 3-4 hours to do a 60-65 lb pig.

There's also one on the market called a "Cajun Microwave"
    http://www.cajunmicrowaves.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1