The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Haunted Restaurants

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
Haunted Restaurants Wed, 09/17/03 5:57 PM (permalink)
All of the Halloween stuff is in the stores now...my sister lives in a haunted house (Discovery Channel ghosthunters had quite an experience there; all of the family members, myself included, have experienced the unexplainable in her house)...we've stayed in haunted hotels...we've eaten in haunted restaurants (the Country House in Countryside, Illinois comes to mind)...

My question is this...have you ever eaten in a haunted restaurant? If so, have you ever experienced anything out of the ordinary while dining in one of these places? Just curious.

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Wed, 09/17/03 6:04 PM (permalink)
    The original Country House restaurant is located in Clarendon Hills, Illinois, and not Countryside. Sorry about that.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3559
      RE: Haunted Restaurants Wed, 09/17/03 6:55 PM (permalink)
      Landmark 78, a restaurant in downtown Ventura CA, has been known for years for their steaks. I've also had delicious boulliabase there. The building in which it resides was built as a guest house in 1912. Here is what they say about the haunting:
      "Legend has it that the Carlo Hahn House is the home of Rosa, a young daughter of one of the many Italian families that immigrated to Ventura County in the late nineteenth century.

Bound by customs of the day, Rosa was forced into a loveless marriage to a man much older than she was. Unhappy and lonely, Rosa found solace in the company of a young Italian man. When her infidelity led to pregnancy; Rosa, acting in desperation, unfortunately hung herself.

Although it isn't known for certain where Rosa hung herself, it seems quite certain that she made the Carlo Hahn House her final resting place. She has been seen on numerous occasions staring longingly out of the round window on the second floor. But most often, Rosa is seen on the staircase, walking mournfully in a long, elegant dress. Many also claim to feel her presence in what are now the banquet room and woman's restroom."

I went to the window where they say she looked out and all seemed normal. I looked also several times coming and going from the restaurant. Didn't notice a ghost.....but there's always next time........

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Wed, 09/17/03 7:39 PM (permalink)
        EDSAILS: I enjoyed your ghost story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am going to bet you have a "ghostly experience" at a haunted restaurant when you least expect it. That's how it's been for me at my sister's place, in any case. Stuff happened when I wasn't even thinking about it or expecting it. Now that I think of it, my experiences occurred in the kitchen, although most of the phenomena there occurs upstairs.

I've always wanted to eat dinner at the Lemp Mansion in St. Louis, MO. It's also a B&B, but I have reservations (no pun intended) about staying overnight there. Supposedly, it's one of the Top 10 Haunted Places in America.

Wiseguy

• Total Posts: 42
          RE: Haunted Restaurants Wed, 09/17/03 7:39 PM (permalink)

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Wed, 09/17/03 8:27 PM (permalink)
            quote:

Thanks for the info, Wiseguy. We've been to the Red Lion several times, but we've never had the privilege of encountering any of the ghosts there. Maybe some day. We liked their fish & chips, steak & kidney pie, shepherd's pie, and trifle. My husband went ga-ga over the British beers/ales on draft. We knew that the area near the Biograph theater was reputedly haunted by John Dillinger's ghost, but again, when we were "looking for" paranormal phenomena, we failed to experience any. Like I said before, maybe someday.

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
              RE: Haunted Restaurants Wed, 09/17/03 10:06 PM (permalink)
              Try the King George Inn in Allentown, PA. I've driven by there many a time and it sure looks like it qualifies. Plus, the locals swear that a ghost haunts the bar area.

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Thu, 09/18/03 10:22 AM (permalink)
                A couple of haunted restaurants I've frequented...

The Hideaway near Elgin, Illinois. They serve wonderful steaks. It was once a speakeasy. The restaurant can be very hard to find. It sits on the bank of the Fox River...nice atmosphere.

The Pirate House in Savannah, Georgia. We weren't too keen on the food there, though.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                  RE: Haunted Restaurants Thu, 09/18/03 1:40 PM (permalink)
                  I've eaten at The Hideaway many many times and don't remember anything about it being haunted unless it was by someone who fell out of favor with Al Capone! Or....maybe it's haunted by the people who cannot find it! BTW, it's not an adventure anymore since they put the signs up. Seriously, the place has very good food, a huge selection mostly centering on steaks.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                    RE: Haunted Restaurants Thu, 09/18/03 2:21 PM (permalink)
                    A few years ago, my husband and I were lucky enough to be treated to a weekend at the Menger Hotel in San Antonio for our anniversary by my husbands best friend who works for Southwest Airlines.

He had won this wonderful trip as a door prize at the Southwest Christmas party and gave it to us.

The Menger Hotel is supposed to be one of the oldest, if not the oldest still in operation West of the Mississipi. It is directly adjacent to the Alamo, in fact the courtyard balcony of our room overlooked the walls.

It is supposed to be haunted by numerous ghosts, especially in the bar which was built as an exact replica of the bar at the House of Lords in London. It is a huge hotel, and so much fun to just walk around and see as many of the furnishings are original.

The main dining room was the site of most of the San Antonio high society functions from the 1800's to the present. The walls are painted a soft green with lots of white trim, and there are palms everywhere. We had a loveley dinner there one night, and while we saw no ghosts, it was fun to imagine the place in it's glory days.

Here is a link to the history and the hauntings that occur there. I highly recommend staying there instead of the tourista riverwalk area if you ever visit San Antonio.
                    http://www.whatwasthen.com/menger.html

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Thu, 09/18/03 2:50 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by kland01s

I've eaten at The Hideaway many many times and don't remember anything about it being haunted unless it was by someone who fell out of favor with Al Capone! Or....maybe it's haunted by the people who cannot find it! BTW, it's not an adventure anymore since they put the signs up. Seriously, the place has very good food, a huge selection mostly centering on steaks.

I didn't know that the Hideaway was haunted either, until I read about its ghost(s) in a book a while ago. The owners were interviewed by the author. From what I remember, a woman wearing clothing from the 20's-30's era can sometimes be seen in an upstairs window--the one above the main entrance to the place. Also, a pair of swinging doors in the restaurant have been known to flap inexplicably.

Yes, there are signs that guide you to the restaurant now, but some of the signs are small. I think that one of them is nailed to a tree. You have to really be on the lookout for the signs if you're a first timer. In our case, we got a little lost the first couple of times we went there. In the old days, there weren't any signs. You had to call a certain phone number to get directions. The phone number was listed in their newspaper ads. They used to have live 20's era jazz in the upper room (now the smoking area, I believe) on the weekends.

LONE STAR: We've been wanting to visit San Antonio for a long time. Thanks for the info! I think it would be great to stay at the Menger based on what I've just read in your post.

Lone Star

RE: Haunted Restaurants Thu, 09/18/03 3:59 PM (permalink)
                        Kim, if you go to this site http://www.historicmenger.com/ you can view some of the rooms and get more information on the hauntings.

The circular view of the lobby is beautiful.

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Thu, 09/18/03 4:49 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Lone Star

Kim, if you go to this site http://www.historicmenger.com/ you can view some of the rooms and get more information on the hauntings.

The circular view of the lobby is beautiful.

LONE STAR: Just checked out the website you recommended! I agree with you regarding the circular lobby--it's gorgeous. And the ghost stories are really interesting, too. By the way, one of the ghosts mentioned was that of Captain Richard King, founder of the King Ranch. Call me naive, but what's the King Ranch? Does it have anything to do with the recipe for King Ranch Casserole? Just wondering.

I'm still looking forward to a trip to San Antonio some time soon and a stay at the Menger. It'll be my second trip ever to Texas...was last in your state in 1978, when I visited a classmate in Houston during July. Hotter than hell, but I loved Houston. We shopped at the Galleria, visited Astroworld, drove past the famous mansion featured in the book (a bestseller around that time) called "Blood and Money". Wasn't a "foodie" back then, though, so it'll be a treat for me to finally try some of the regional cuisine on my next visit.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                            RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 2:28 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by EdSails

Landmark 78, a restaurant in downtown Ventura CA, has been known for years for their steaks. I've also had delicious boulliabase there. The building in which it resides was built as a guest house in 1912. Here is what they say about the haunting:
                            "Legend has it that the Carlo Hahn House is the home of Rosa, a young daughter of one of the many Italian families that immigrated to Ventura County in the late nineteenth century.

Bound by customs of the day, Rosa was forced into a loveless marriage to a man much older than she was. Unhappy and lonely, Rosa found solace in the company of a young Italian man. When her infidelity led to pregnancy; Rosa, acting in desperation, unfortunately hung herself.

Although it isn't known for certain where Rosa hung herself, it seems quite certain that she made the Carlo Hahn House her final resting place. She has been seen on numerous occasions staring longingly out of the round window on the second floor. But most often, Rosa is seen on the staircase, walking mournfully in a long, elegant dress. Many also claim to feel her presence in what are now the banquet room and woman's restroom."

I went to the window where they say she looked out and all seemed normal. I looked also several times coming and going from the restaurant. Didn't notice a ghost.....but there's always next time........

I for one, never go to that bathroom up at the top of the stairs alone. But their filet mignons are so good, Rosa could sit down beside me and I'd keep eating!

M&M

• Total Posts: 106
                              RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 9:59 AM (permalink)
                              Try this link for a look at the Lemp Mansion in St. Louis.

http://www.lempmansion.com/

Lone Star

RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 10:00 AM (permalink)
                                Kim, your trip sounds great! If you enjoy ghost stories, there are several tours you can take of "Haunted San Antonio".

I know you will want to enjoy some of the great Tex-Mex along the riverwalk while you are serenaded by strolling Mariachi singers, but you will not want to miss a meal at the Pigstand for a chicken fried steak or a famous "Pig sandwich".

The Robinson-Hill house is still there on Kirby drive, and we still gawk at it when driving by!

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 10:11 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Lone Star

Kim, your trip sounds great! If you enjoy ghost stories, there are several tours you can take of "Haunted San Antonio".

I know you will want to enjoy some of the great Tex-Mex along the riverwalk while you are serenaded by strolling Mariachi singers, but you will not want to miss a meal at the Pigstand for a chicken fried steak or a famous "Pig sandwich".

The Robinson-Hill house is still there on Kirby drive, and we still gawk at it when driving by!

LONE STAR: My tastebuds just woke up! Just curious though about the "pig sandwich" served at the Pigstand. Is it a pulled pork sandwich? If so, do they top it with coleslaw down there? I always top my pulled pork sandwiches with a side order of vinegar-based coleslaw, but I have been known to use the creamy variety when that's the only slaw available. My husband thinks I'm crazy, but it tastes so good that way.

M&M: Thanks for the link to the Lemp Mansion. Have you ever eaten there? If so, was the food any good?

M&M

• Total Posts: 106
                                    RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 11:05 AM (permalink)
                                    I've eaten at the Lemp Mansion twice but its been some years ago. As I recall the food was good but nothing stands out at this remove. We ate in the Suicide Room, i.e., the room in which a one or more of the Lemps committed the deadly deed, which added a touch of something to the meal though I'm not sure what. From the highway (it sits right on I-55)it appears there has been some renovation going on at the Mansion.

Of course, if you don't want to eat at Lemp the Sidney Street Cafe and Frazer's are both within a a few blocks. Two of the best restaurants in the city for my money (though not what I think of as road food type places).

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                                      RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 2:55 PM (permalink)
                                      First off, I agree with M&M about St. Louis' Sidney Street Cafe (not familiar with Frazer's), and have always found Lemp Mansion and its history most fascinating, tho have never eaten there.

This topic of haunted houses reminded me of a most interesting house, though not haunted, which formerly housed a fine restaurant in Fort Smith, AR. And before I begin I apologize to anyone who finds this post offensive; that is not my purpose but it's rather to pass on a little bit of Americana. Some 15 or more years ago Miss Laura's, the last standing and formerly grandest (tho no longer used for that purpose) of Fort Smith's "wild west, jumping off point to Indian Territory days" whorehouses was restored from a most deteriorated condition to its former grandeur and turned into a really neat restaurant with great food. Reason it remained was that when all the other houses in the "row" burned years ago, Miss Laura and her girls got out there and fought the fire to the point of successfully saving their home and business. Anyway, this restoration was done in Victorian fashion of its day with the "main parlor" downstairs turned into the bar, second parlor a gift shop, and most of remainder of downstairs being office, and kitchen. May have been one dining room downstairs, but the majority of the dining rooms (several of them) were upstairs, each with a girl's name painted on the transom to that room. They left one room upstairs furnished as it was for its original purpose in its heydey, which one could view as sort of a "museum". The food there was varied and excellent and I always enjoyed eating there when through Fort Smith, which unfortunately was not frequent enough. Was really disappointed when Miss Laura's closed as a restaurant. Building was vacant for a while, then believe it was used as office by some business, and in more recent years it has become home to Fort Smith Visitors' Center (and think Chamber of Commerce). Fort Smith now uses Miss Laura's in a lot of its promotions and advertisements. Wish it was still a restaurant but glad to see it used as a Visitors' Center where the public can see this bit of our past, rather than its being used as a business office or even worse just closed and again deteriorating. If anyone is ever in Fort Smith, it also has interesting historical museum in addition to the old Fort Smith national park/national monument area with a recently renovated "Hanging Judge Parker's" courtroom. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the current Fort Smith restaurant scene.

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 3:07 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by M&M

I've eaten at the Lemp Mansion twice but its been some years ago. As I recall the food was good but nothing stands out at this remove. We ate in the Suicide Room, i.e., the room in which a one or more of the Lemps committed the deadly deed, which added a touch of something to the meal though I'm not sure what. From the highway (it sits right on I-55)it appears there has been some renovation going on at the Mansion.

Of course, if you don't want to eat at Lemp the Sidney Street Cafe and Frazer's are both within a a few blocks. Two of the best restaurants in the city for my money (though not what I think of as road food type places).

M&M: Thanks for your input. We usually go to St. Louis once a year. I'll check out the Lemp Mansion the next time we're in town. As far as your feelings about eating in the "Suicide Room" there...I've seen a couple of documentaries featuring the Lemp Mansion. It's not uncommon for diners to see an occasional apparition in that room. Others experience an eerie sort of feeling, something "not quite right" that's hard to describe.

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
                                          RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 3:39 PM (permalink)
                                          Tommy Condon's in Charleston, SC is haunted supposedly. Apparently the ghost only frequents a closed-off back room. If I owned the restaurant, I'd put customers in the back room. A ghostly figure wafting through the dining room can only add to the ambiance.

KimChee43

RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by improviser

Tommy Condon's in Charleston, SC is haunted supposedly. Apparently the ghost only frequents a closed-off back room. If I owned the restaurant, I'd put customers in the back room. A ghostly figure wafting through the dining room can only add to the ambiance.

IMPROVISER: Regarding Charleston, it's a beautiful city. We loved it! Isn't "Poogan's Porch" haunted by an old woman who used own the place before it was a restaurant? I guess she's very shy and appears sitting at a table in the dining room. When somebody notices her, she disappears in front of them.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3559
                                              RE: Haunted Restaurants Fri, 09/19/03 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by KimChee43

IMPROVISER: Regarding Charleston, it's a beautiful city. We loved it! Isn't "Poogan's Porch" haunted by an old woman who used own the place before it was a restaurant? I guess she's very shy and appears sitting at a table in the dining room. When somebody notices her, she disappears in front of them.

Right when the bill comes I guess. Sounds like this ghost belongs on the "Ten Tightwads" thread!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com