Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak?

Author
BigDave67
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
2007/08/08 22:07:38 (permalink)

Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak?

I heard if you marinate it,it's a great steak.

11 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2563
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/08 22:25:16 (permalink)
    BigDave,

I've heard the same. Where have you found them? I've asked several butchers and they've never had them available.

jrp
    BigDave67
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/08 22:27:38 (permalink)
    I became interested by looking at the Cooks Thesaurus website. I'd be interesting in trying one.
    matilda
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 667
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/08 22:41:50 (permalink)
    If you Google "buy hangar steak," a whole pile of places to buy online comes up.
    This little write-up came from the about site: Definition: The Hanger Steak is a thick strip of meat from the underside of the beef cow. It hangs (hence the name) between the rib and the loin. It is part of the diaphragm and, like a skirt steak is full of flavor but can be tough if not prepared correctly. The hanger steak has a grainy texture which is great for many dishes like fajitas or bulgogi. While you can use most any method to prepare the hanger steak it does have a tendency to dry out and get tough when exposed to dry heat. When grilling or broiling you need to use a marinade first to keep it moist. This is a very tasty steak and you will really enjoy it as long as you prepare it correctly.
    Bluntfacts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/09 02:40:36 (permalink)
    Great post. The so-called hanger steak is offered at many of the best restaurants here in Las Vegas, including Charlie Palmers at Four Seasons, along with Joel Roubuchon at MGM Grand (currently, the highest rated restaurant in Las Vegas). My guess is that the steak might fetch $50 at either place. Having never had one, I am somewhat skeptical, but if anyone is travelling to Vegas and wants to treat...
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/10 01:12:08 (permalink)
    The hanger steak is a delicious cut of beef, usually kept by the butchers because it was "less noble" than the sirloin, tenderloin, rib loin, etc. It resembles a skirt steak and cooks the same. I last found it at Wal*Mart in Palm Desert, CA. It has more "grain" to it than a skirt steak and is very thin in some places and thicker in others. I used a Jaccard on the thicker areas. I marinated it briefly in oil, garlic, hot pepper flakes, and L&P. We threw it on a VERY hot grill to get it medium rare and it was delicious. Do not hesitate to try this cut of beef.....at home! Do NOT pay $50 for it in Vegas!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5046
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/10 02:13:10 (permalink)
    Although very easily found in California's markets, in Dallas it's as rare (pun intended) as hen's feet.
    Every once in a while I will see it at Wholefoods. A good alternative is skirt steak. I actually like it pan sauteed with onions.
    Robearjr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/13 21:00:08 (permalink)
    If you get steak frites in bistro, you are probably getting a hanger steak.

I had a pretty good one in Montreal last week at the Steak Frite on Rue St. Paul.

I normally hate steak sauce, but I do like the mustard sauce that comes with a steak frite.
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/21 14:18:33 (permalink)
    I marinate hangers in mojo criollo for a cuban twist...grill it to mark then move to side and finsh roasting in BBQer. Serve with a roasted red pepper sauce. broke da mouth.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/22 10:11:47 (permalink)
    After looking at, and cooking a few, hanger steaks, flank steaks, and skirt steaks, it is my humble opinion that , while they may not be precisely the same cut of meat, they are sold interchangeably in any market where they may be found. Most of our cookbooks, including Lobell's Meat Book, dont even recognize the existence of any of those cuts except flank steak.

Alton Brown has a method for skirt sterak: brush the coals clean of ash on your grill, and place the steak directly on the coals - about one minute on each side. The idea being to cook it very quickly at very high heat so it wont dry out.

We like ours cut into bite size pieces, and braised with vegetables creating a very rich and tasty sauce.

Cheers, John
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/08/24 11:23:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

Alton Brown has a method for skirt sterak: brush the coals clean of ash on your grill, and place the steak directly on the coals - about one minute on each side. The idea being to cook it very quickly at very high heat so it wont dry out.

We like ours cut into bite size pieces, and braised with vegetables creating a very rich and tasty sauce.

Cheers, John

I've cooked quite a few steaks including hanger steaks this way, always turn out great!

I would recommend not trying it with a charcoal briquette fire though, use a natural wood charcoal or a wood fire allowed to burn down to a nice bed of coals. Briquettes will ruin your steak.....
    LuckyLabrador
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Have any of Y'all eaten Hanger Steak? 2007/09/07 12:04:17 (permalink)
    Saddam, chocked to death on a Hanger. I know, bad taste, so to speak.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1