Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1965
2004/10/16 15:04:45 (permalink)

Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie?

I could ask who you prefer for president if I wanted to start a small fight. If I wanted to start a huge fight, I would ask who makes the best apple pie. I'm not gonna ask either question among friends! I have had some great apple pie in my life, and I am not willing to say what was "best", but I have never had a great apple pie in a restaurant. I have had great pie on the road, such as chocolate cream, peach, and a wonderful peach/blueberry at a diner in North Carolina that I remember 30 years later. Does an apple pie have to include love to taste good?

39 Replies Related Threads

poundpod
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/16 15:16:23 (permalink)
    The Ritz Diner in Livingston New Jersey makes an apple pie that anyone could be proud to serve.

Grandma's Pie Shop, a terrific Roadfood-type restaurant in Albany, New York, near the Colonie border, makes great burgers, fries, and pies. Their apple and French apple are excellent.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4588
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/16 17:10:48 (permalink)
    I haven't been in several years, but my favorite for all thing apple has always been Stephenson's Apple Farm on Hwy 40 in Independence, Mo.
    I used to work around the corner from them, and our fellow poster BillB. worked there. cool. The brandy sauce makes the pie, but truth be told, the Apple fritters are even better. It's just a wonderful place to eat.
    http://www.stephensons.bigstep.com/generic.html?pid=4
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/16 18:23:42 (permalink)
    Years ago, I had a great apple pie at what was then Henry's Sohio outside of Colombus, Ohio. It was recommended in the original Roadfood book and is reviewed on this site (see below.) The walls are papered with pie awards and ribbons.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=544&RefID=544
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6658
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/16 18:30:33 (permalink)
    My mother has won prizes in PA for her apple pies and apple dumplings so I don't compete with her or even order it out! But we were at Linden Hall
    http://www.lindenhallpa.com/ years ago, finished our lunch and our server said that in 10 mins. there would be fresh blackberry pies coming out of the oven.......the wait was worth it! Best pie I ever ate that did not come out of my mother's kitchen! We'll be at Mom's in PA next Tuesday and number one on our list of things we want to eat: APPLE PIE!!!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 13:04:22 (permalink)
    The Anderson House in Wabasha, Minnesota, has the best apple pie I've ever tasted. I'm not much of a pie eater because I don't much care for pie crust, but theirs was wonderful!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 13:14:45 (permalink)
    Are you talking a good apple pie from a sit down restaurant only? Or does a bakery count? What about an orchard that happens to sell pies?

I have had excellent apple pies in restuarants.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 13:29:50 (permalink)
    Bill's Barbeque (Richmond, Va.) is known locally for its excellent pies. During the Thanksgiving to Christmas holiday time, you need to call ahead (sometimes days) to order them. Apple, pumpkin, mincemeat, etc. are all popular. This is making me hungry!

Frank
    Powhatan, VA.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 14:07:34 (permalink)
    Bushie and I had fried apple pies, apple butter and hot apple fritters at "The Apple Barn" in Pigeon Forge, TN. They have a dedicatted staff of several people that do nothing except make fried apple pies all day. They are good hot or cold but I prefer them right out of the fryer with a cup of coffee and some ice cream.

http://www.applebarncidermill.com/come_visit_smoky.cfm

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 14:11:22 (permalink)
    There is a little place outside of Waynesville, NC -I think it was called Brushy Mountain-but they sold baked apple pies, apple turnovers, apple bread and all other kinds of desserts in addition to their apples. It always smelled so good in there. Haven't been there in several years. Used to go all the time when our daughter was in school at WCU.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 14:28:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Bushie and I had fried apple pies, apple butter and hot apple fritters at "The Apple Barn" in Pigeon Forge, TN. They have a dedicatted staff of several people that do nothing except make fried apple pies all day. They are good hot or cold but I prefer them right out of the fryer with a cup of coffee and some ice cream.

http://www.applebarncidermill.com/come_visit_smoky.cfm

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I have never had an excellent regular apple pie in a restaurant but those fried apple pies that Paul is talking about are terrific. Whenever we have been in vacation in Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge area, we have stopped in a few times and bought some to eat there or take back to our cabin for a before bedtime snack.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 15:00:32 (permalink)
    Chezkatie: If you get back in the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge area you will need to explore another place. In Gatlinburg, follow 321 backtoward Interstate I-40. You will go through Cosby, TN (Former moonshine capital of the USA) Just past it, you will approach what appears to be a small site called Carvers orchard. It only appears that way because you cannot see it from the road. It is in fact rather large with a neat market, restaurant, candy factory and a huge orchard surrounding it extending all the way to the mountains behind it. Food is excellent, fried pies are excellent and apple butter exceeds The Apple Barn as it is not as sweet. Fritters were OK but Apple Barns were better. They raise many varieties of apples on the orchard. The restaurant had an excellent view of the mountains as well as the huge Arkansas Black apple trees there were still bearing heavily as of this past Wednesday. They are a solid apple that will keep until spring. A really handsome apple that is so dark red, it appears black. Bushie bought some to take back to Austin with him.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chezkatie
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 15:13:03 (permalink)
    quote:

They raise many varieties of apples on the orchard. The restaurant had an excellent view of the mountains as well as the huge Arkansas Black apple trees there were still bearing heavily as of this past Wednesday. They are a solid apple that will keep until spring. A really handsome apple that is so dark red, it appears black. Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I have never heard of this apple. I would love to see and taste them. Are there any orchards in the area that ship these? I looked to see if Carver's Orchard had a website but it appears that they do not. The last time we were in the area (last October), I am certain that the Apple Barn did not have them.
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 15:16:10 (permalink)
    The apple pies I make at home are always WAY better than anything I've ever had out. But I have had great apple dumplings out. One was at the dearly departed Akron Restaurant in PA. The other is at the Barbara Fritchie in Frederick, MD.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 15:26:23 (permalink)
    Chezkatie, That is the first time I ever saw the Arkansas Blacks. They are a rather large, extremely dark red and firm apple that their claim to fame is they last so long. Perhaps Bushie will give you his opinion if he reads this thread.

The trees were rather large as they extended up to the second level of the restaurant where Bushie had country fried ham and I had catfish. We looked through the trees still loaded with dark red apples to view the changing red and gold colors of the mountains.

The restaurant, orchard and market has been written about many times in Knoxville and I do not understand why they do not have a web site?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/18 16:25:39 (permalink)
    no restaurant apple pies stand out (I prefer my wife's and mother-in-laws) but the best apple dumplings I ever had were at the late lamented Meyers restaurant in Quakertown- now closed. Don't know what kind of apples they used
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 03:09:04 (permalink)
    Well, it's not exactly a restaurant and the pie wasn't as good as the best home-made, but it was pretty darned good: yesterday I went to CostCo and they had a display of their typically GIANT caramel-apple pies that looked so good I bought one even though I knew it would put another 10 lbs on me. As per the CostCo "associate's" suggestion, I froze half of it but I'm well on the way to eating the other half and it IS mighty good.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 09:30:28 (permalink)
    quote:

Chezkatie, That is the first time I ever saw the Arkansas Blacks. They are a rather large, extremely dark red and firm apple that their claim to fame is they last so long. Perhaps Bushie will give you his opinion if he reads this thread.

The Arkansas Black apples have very firm, dense flesh. They were described by the orchard as "sour", but the ones I bought are just on the tart side, and they have plenty of juice.

The flavor is not as "deep" as some other varieties, but I'm really enjoying these. My daughter and I both like crisp, tart apples, and she likes these also.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 10:56:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brookquarry

no restaurant apple pies stand out (I prefer my wife's and mother-in-laws) but the best apple dumplings I ever had were at the late lamented Meyers restaurant in Quakertown- now closed. Don't know what kind of apples they used

I have an old cookbook published by the Quakertown Historical Society that had some recipes from Meyers. If I can find it, I'll check if their apple dumpling recipe is in there.
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 12:34:56 (permalink)
    The last time that I had great apple pie in a restaurant was back in 1976 and it was in some city in PA just of the Turnpike. It was some type of Amish themed coffee shop. I was twelve at the time so it really had to be good pie for me to remember it.

Re Arkansas Blacks: they sell them at Trader Joe's in LA.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 12:49:50 (permalink)
    Take a look at the Stark Brothers nursery website for info on the Arkansas Black (trees). I have a couple in my orchard. This was their 4th year, with only a few little apples yet...but next year shopuld be a good one (we hope) The Arkansas Black is most noted for it's long storage life without shrinkage. It is a very good apple as commented on by Bushie and Paul.
    http://www.starkbros.com/product.jsp
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 14:36:24 (permalink)
    Al, I guess we will be coming to your part of the world during apple harvest!

I notice that Starks indicated that they reach their peak in flavor after a month in the frige? I have never heard of that before.

http://www.starkbros.com/product.jsp

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    bumper
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 15:55:05 (permalink)
    Paul
    You are right about Ark. Black apples you can find them in N.C. between Hickory and N. Wilkesboro in an area called Brushy Mtn.
    If your ever in the area .
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/19 18:09:28 (permalink)
    I emailed "Al The Mayor" and told him that we would raid his orchard next fall for his Arkansas Blacks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/21 21:02:36 (permalink)
    I searched for some more info on these, and this site was the nicest one in found: http://horticulture.missouri.edu/apple/arkansas.htm

The color in those pictures are like the ones I bought, but the apples Sundancer and I saw on the trees were so dark they looked like big purple plums.

Sundance, I've been eating one every day, and so I'm getting low on that bag I bought. I may have to ask you to fill up that trunk of your new Marquis and drive down to G-d's Country.
    chezkatie
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/21 21:17:16 (permalink)
    Sundancer, I think I will drive my one year old Marquis down and have you fill it up for those apples for me to take home!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/21 21:23:02 (permalink)
    Paul,
    A year ago when you and MawMaw met Jan and I at that Orchard we got some of the Arkansas Blacks. As Bushie says they are a mild flavored Apple, But they will last in the refrigerator for ages without shriveling or going mushy.
    I look forward to my first ones to go all season, next year. (Bambi Beware!)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/21 21:33:08 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I feel sorry for Bambi that get into your orchard. Look out for the fireworks. I still recall how you taught me how to keep varmits out of the garden. I still have the bottle rockets available and I still fire them at the squirrels and other varmits that raid my bird feeders.

Bushie and I will raid your orchard next fall for the Arkansas blacks.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/10/21 21:35:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

Sundancer, I think I will drive my one year old Marquis down and have you fill it up for those apples for me to take home!

Chezkatie: I just bought a brand new Marquis. It is black with a light grey leather interior. It has got all the bells and whistles.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Have you ever had a great restaurant apple pie? 2004/12/09 09:26:33 (permalink)
    Fat Apples in El Cerrito, CA always had great apple pie. I would go there for their big juicy burgers, but would always save room for a piece of their overstuffed pie for dessert.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1