Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Filet Mignon
2010/12/18 10:18:12
I'll be traveling with my family to Hawaii on Christmas day. I plan on doing a trip report on plate lunches and meals under $10 in Honolulu and other parts of Oahu. I'll be looking for home style Hawaiian food, food trucks, shrimp trucks and low cost seafood markets/restaurants with good  tasty food bargains. I started my Restaurant career in Honolulu many years ago, I also met my wife there, got married with a small Hawaiian wedding. I hope to hook up with a few old friends and show that good food doesn't have to be expensive in Hawaii and show the heart and soul of the great food that Hawaii has to offer outside the tourist zone. I hope you will stop by this post to see some pictures of the restaurants and foods. I hope to have pictures starting a few days after Christmas. I wish all of you a Merry Christmas, health, happiness and great Roadfood eating adventures in the New Year........................ Aloha Bill
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/18 10:30:05
Have a wonderful time and look so forward to your report.Happy holidays to you and yours..
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/18 10:59:45
I was stationed at Pearl Harbor for six years and there are a trove of local places (or there were) in Pearl City. But one not to be missed place is Keniki's on the north shore. Best Kahlua Pig lunch to be found plus cole slaw and two scoops rice.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/18 12:04:46
Hi BB, What years were you there and do you remember Pearl City Tavern ????????  To me the real experience of hawaiian are the plate lunches, I'm looking forward to Shoyu chicken, teriyaki, Kalua pig, Lau Lau, Kalbi Ribs (Korean Ribs) and a few others. I know most of the plate lunches came with Macaroni salad and Rice. I think if someone served a plate lunch with only one scoop of rice, the Hawaiians with riot....................Thanks for the info, Bill
This is the plate lunch menu from the Rainbow Drive-In, the prices look good, and the food made fresh by people that have been doing it for years.......... This is the kind of menu we had at the second restaurant I managed at Ala Moana Center named the Coffee Shop, serving all local lunch specials.

Special Plate Lunches (served only on these days)
  Roast Pork w/gravy..............................................................
(Sun + Wed + Fri) $6.50   Shoyu Chicken....................................................................
(Mon + Wed + Fri + Sat) $6.25   Pork Long Rice....................................................................
(Mon + Fri) $6.00   Beef or Curry Stew (alt. week).........................................
(Sun + Wed + Sat) $6.25
  BBQ (teriyaki) Ahi Plate......................................................
(Tues + Thurs) $7.00   Spaghetti w/Weiner.............................................................
(Tues + Thurs) $6.00   Chopped Steak w/Vegetables...........................................
(Tues + Thurs) $6.50   Loco Moco Plate...................................................................
(Served Daily) 

annpeeples: Thank you Ann, the best to you and your family
post edited by BillyB - 2010/12/18 12:16:08
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/19 17:01:35
Okay, splain to the mainlander.  What is Shoyu chicken and Kalua pig?  And I hope you have a wonderful holiday!
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/19 19:02:22
I used to work in the building right behind Rainbows, and it is one of my favorites - - You really don't have to go anywhere off of Kapahulu Avenue to have a real tour of Island food...
However, my favorite Korean Barbecue - very popular with the Airport workers, is Nimitz barbecue - - it is in a strip mall off of the frontage road next to Nimitz Highway...  There special plate #1 is around $8.00 but can easily stretch to feed two or one person for two meals...  There is a bit of everything on it - - closed Sundays, though...
Have a great trip - - I am very jealous....  And I cannot wait for your report...
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/19 19:15:35
It's been awhile since I've been to Oahu but I remember having a great breakfast in a hole in the wall spot walking distance from the Hilton Hawiian Village.  The HHV is quite a ways from the center of things.  I ended up having breakfast at this place everyday.... Two fried eggs, white rice and Portuguese Sausage.

Although it was Mall Food, I went back to a Korean stall in the Ala Moana Mall a few times.  I found the food there better than some of the so called better places.

This is real Hawaii:  Have a shaved ice at:

http://www.matsumotoshaveice.com/

If you like ice cream there is a local place called Dave's with several locations.  Did nothing for me.

I loved the ABC Convenience Stores that seemed to be everywhere when I was there.  They are similar to the 7-11's or Circle K's that you find in the states...  But, they had slices of the juiciest pineapple I've ever had.  They also have interesting Japanese food items like sticky rice mixed with "stuff" shaped into triangles and wrapped up in banana leaves.

Check out McDonald's when there.  Really!  They have different dipping sauces for the McNuggets.  I never had them and wish I had.  I thought I'd taste them when back home, but found out then that they're Hawaii only sauces.  They might have been taste trials. I don't eat McNuggets but would have ordered them just to taste the sauces.

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/19 19:28:37
Hey Mainland Nancy,The Shoyu Chicken is simmered in Soy sauce, ginger, garlic and a few other things until its about fall off the bone tender, served with white rice. This is a big plate lunch item in Hawaii. The Kalua Pig (the way I make it) Liquid smoke and Hawaiian salt and baked for a long period of time, It is like our shredded pork only without BBQ sauce. I'll take some pictures next week.........

Mamaduck........ Your right most everything can be had in and around that area. Rainbow drive-in would be my pick for a good plate lunch close to where I am staying. Do you remember Coco's ( replaced by Hard Rock Cafe) and Prince Kuhio and the Coffee shop at Ala Moana...........I will look into Nimitz BBQ I want to find some good Korean Ribs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Take care................Bill................P.S. WE used to live in Maikiki
MAR............The food court at Ala Moana Ctr is a real good spot for a family, everyone gets their pick.................My little girl is licking her lips over the Hawaiian shaved ice, she picked out her flavor already ....
post edited by BillyB - 2010/12/19 19:50:36
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/19 21:30:57
Have a happy, safe trip. I'll live vicariously through you. I've always wanted to see Hawaii, but it's one place I've never gotten to. Can't wait for the pictures!!
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 03:43:06
Billy, I lived on Oahu for 25+ years....  Kailua and Kaneohe, mostly with an interlude near Thomas Square downtown...  Drove tour buses for 15+ of those years.... 
Thought of another good Korean place - Soons drive-in - it is on the back side of Salt Lake shopping center near the laundromat - - huge servings and wonderful food - their veggies are exceptional...  I think Mar is referring to Eggs and Things - check that place out - - used to be at the top of Kalaukaua Avenue, but I believe they had a fire and reopened at another location... 
I have been ono for some Hawaiian style Chinese food - - can't find it here - and really miss it.... 
I used to tell my tourists when I was driving tours that in Hawaii, we didn't eat until we were full - - we ate until we were tired.....
Have a great trip and think of me when you bite into your first Leonard's Malasada!!!!! 
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 08:14:34
Lee, I'll be thinking of you on the beach next week........have a nice holiday,,,,,,,,,

Mamaduck.......I started with a company named Spencecliff, at the Banquet halls at Ala Moana ctr and then opened a new restaurant for them at Bishop Museum named "Tapa Lanai." we had the best "Portuguese bean soup, Chili & Rice, plate lunch special, sandwiches and desserts" back in those days. I will check out Soons drive-in, I like the small out of the way places. I have a Hawaiian friend in Kaneohe he is about 6' 8" tall 350 lbs and should be able to knock off a few plate lunches. The first time I had a Hot Molasada was at the Hawaii State fair, they had a small cart, they fried them and tossed them in sugar and served in small french fry bags "Mini Molasadas" I was hooked from that day forward. I will only buy them hot out of the fryer, they aren't the same cold. The ones at Leonards Molasada truck at Aloha stadium are warm when you buy them, and I know the girls will want to shop at the Swap meet................Take care.........Bill
doggydaddy
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 08:57:30
===It's been awhile since I've been to Oahu but I remember having a great breakfast in a hole in the wall spot walking distance from the Hilton Hawiian Village.  The HHV is quite a ways from the center of things.  I ended up having breakfast at this place everyday.... Two fried eggs, white rice and Portuguese Sausage. ===

One of the best breakfasts in America is not within continental limits and just down the street from HHV. Eggs and Things puts out one outstanding breakfast, and breakfast is my professional specialty.
http://www.eggsnthings.com/

Google provides a link to the official Japanese version of the store in Tokyo. http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/venue/2559
This explains to me why there were always so many
Japanese eating there.

In the 'Chinatown' section is Rada's Russian Piroskis.  I lived on them back in the 70's and it seems that they are still in business.
mark
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 09:45:40
[class="storytext"]doggydaddy:        Rada's, my kind of place, nice to be able to buy the piroscki in small amounts. I think its a great way to get a taste of something different, Of course I always look for Russian food in Chinatown............Great hole-in-the wall idea.....thanks ............Bill

[class="storytext"]Rada's Piroscki (1146 Fort Street Mall; 533-2388), owned by Teodoro Alvarez and his wife for 20-plus years, cranks out three types of piroscki (meat-filled baked or fried dumplings) to hungry folks every day. The choices are beef, cheese and cabbage; beef and mushroom; and chicken, cheese and mushroom. They're $1.50 each and definitely stick to your ribs. Rada's also sells bags of fried squid for $1.30 each.
doggydaddy
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 13:35:01

BillyB,
I was Travelin' mannned a few years back on a revisit to Oahu.  I had to console myself with the Philipino food places with lumpia, pancit and pork adobo. 

mark
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 13:37:55
In no p[articular order:
1. LIke Like drive in
2. Leonard's Malasadas
3. Legends Chinese dim sum
4. Any shrimp truck on the North Shore
bkk
brisketboy
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 15:54:19
Billyboy I was there from 1979 to 1985. I lived in Pearl City housing and used to frequent the Pearl City Tavern often, even after I moved to Muanaloa Terrace. I remember the PCT monkeys before they put up the glass cages. I loved the Bonsai Garden on the roof. Sadly, it's gone now. I've been back several times with my job. I remember the island before H1, usedto camp at Bellows and make kahlua pig. Good times. I even learned to like rice and spam wrapped with seaweed. LOL
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 16:23:35
Do not do a luau!  Very touristy and not good.

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 19:16:39
Mar............No Luau's for this boy, I have seen enough of them in my day. We used to have the Kodak show Hula Band and girls come into the Restaurant once a week after their show. We used to cater some of the private ones on the island.

Brisketboy...........I left in 1980, my daughter was born there and I wanted to raise her on the mainland. I remember a small portion of H1 open back then, figured it would take years to finish. I thought the PCT had good food, I was sorry to see it gone.
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/20 20:14:11
BillyB - - just thought of another place for breakfast, if you are close or have time...  At the Heeia Kia Pier in Kaneohe (close to the state park), there is a bait shop/store/plate lunch place out at the end of the pier...  Best fried rice omelets and Loco Moco on the island - - I used to get the Loco Moco with half white rice and half fried rice...  Ono, for sure... 
You left the Island about the time we arrived...  We moved there in the early 80's...  After living in the UK for 3 years - - talk about culture shock!!!!!  My son and his family are still there... 
Again, have a wonderful trip...  I am sure that you will....
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/24 10:21:32
Guess BillyB  is there already. Heard on the news that the Secret Service had already had to pull their weapons.  LOL
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/24 21:41:33
I came over to Seattle a day early so I didn't run into bad weather on my early morning flight Christmas day. We stopped at Anthoy's at the airport so I could get my Cioppino and crusty sourdough bread. This dish originated in San Francisco on Fishermans wharf many years ago. I make this dish at home, cooking it over a long period of time into a fine seafood tomato base sauce. This wasn't bad but when you have had the best nothing really comes close. We are on our way out to Hawaii in the morning.  Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night. That was original

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/24 22:11:13
BillyB, Great stuff!  In fact, very darn good for airport food.  Enjoy your Christmas in paradise. 
post edited by joerogo - 2010/12/24 22:22:42
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/24 22:57:40
BillyB think you made the right decision to get over the pass when you can this time of year. The Cioppino looks impressive and you are not there yet.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/25 09:38:19
Hey Joe, Cioppino is on my top five favorites, so it works for me. We stay at Sleep Inn at Seatac, fee shuttle, free breakfast and $50 a night for 3 people.

Mikey .........I couldn't take a chance with the early morning fog, they canceled a few flights this week and I didn't want to miss my connecting flight in Seattle.................I'll talk to you guys in Hawaii.................Aloha.......Bill
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/26 14:08:16
 Aloha,We went for breakfast at Zippy's Restaurant, a local chain with local plate lunches, bakery. The food on the take out side is all local food, and thats what we had for breakfast.
This is the Portuguese sausage, eggs and toast $ 5.85 the sausage was real good, just like I remembered.

My Wife had the Chili, rice. fried chicken, macaroni salad for $7.70 combo plate. She like it and it was more than enough for her and my little 10 year old. My little Mollie was eating a Cinnamon roll while eating part of out breakfast.

This is the food we ate on the way out because we can't go 3 minutes without eating. This is a flaky sugar donut, enough said

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/27 11:02:14
I took the girls to Aloha Stadium for the swap meet, the humidity was up so we stopped for a Hawaiian Ice. This is my little Mollie having fun at the swap meet

We stopped at Uncles Fish Market and Grill for some fresh seafood. The Hamachi Sashimi was first in line. Fresh melt in your month goodness, I haven't had good fresh Sashimi for awhile.

My wife had the steamed Mussels with a salad and garlic bread, she really enjoyed it.

The Chef had some fresh oysters on the menu for a special, so I ordered the Panko crusted fried Oysters/fries and cole slaw. The oysters had a nice crunch on the outside, tender and juicy fresh taste, the tarter was homemade and real good.

We got back to the Hotel and the Girls were watching the news and saw that Ala Moana ctr didn't close until 7pm because of the after holiday sales. They shot out in a flash, I watched football and took this shot of the Hawaiian sunset. NIce way to end the day............

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/27 11:09:39
Wow!! Am enjoying your trip so far-as you obviously are! Beautiful food, beautiful sunset!
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/27 17:32:54
We went to the Rainbow Drive-Inn this morning for some Great local food. I ran in to Executive General Manager Lance Shimabuku and after talking with him for a minute I found out we both worked for the same company in 1980. I just wanted to say thanks to Lance for the great food and making us feel welcome, we will stop in and see you again before we leave. My wife had the Shoyu Chicken, it was falling off the bone good, The macaroni salad fresh and the rice hit the spot.
 P.S. Lance I found the Chinese Duck place near Foodland... Thanks

I had the BBQ pork, not like Mainland BBQ it is more of a Teriyaki. It was better than I expected, I finished my plate and a chicken thigh off my wifes plate, all the rice GGGGEEEEEEEEEEE I better start working out.......

Have to go take my little Mollie for a swim, not much sun but I have to keep her busy.
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/27 21:09:43
Dang - - I had forgotten about Zippy's - - where I used to go to eat when I could not figure out what I was 'ono' (hungry) for...  And I would usually end up with a ZipPac - something for every hunger...  A chicken thigh, mahi, slice of spam, teri beef, wonderful rice with furakaki sprinkled on it, and a slice of pickled daikon...  And that funny hunk of plastic that kinda looked like leaves or grass....  Oh, my.....  I am drooling over your photos and lost in memories..... 
Thanks for sharing - - looking forward to the 'rest of the story'.......
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 10:56:48
We had breakfast at the Original Pancake house, the food was good but nothing to brag about. We took a ride to South and East Oahu to show my little Mollie Hanauma Bay, The sign said closed Tuesday. On the way to the East shore we passed the Presidents "$$$$$$ Entourage $$$$$$" driving to Hanauma bay, it looks like they opened it. We then took a ride to China town, these are a few pictures of my little Mollie, fresh Tuna coming to market, Lychee nuts and crispy pork.

These are $7 Chinese pajama's we bought for her at the flee market.

post edited by BillyB - 2010/12/29 10:58:27
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 12:24:02
Not only pretty food, but a very pretty girl!!
kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 12:30:41
Those Rambuttan are certainly interesting looking.

Did you partake?
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 15:01:53
The Rambuttan are Lychee nuts and yes I taught my little girl how to open and eat. She thought he taste was between a strawberry and a Kiwifruit
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 19:57:13
I used to pit the lychee, make a thinned cream cheese with pineapple juice and chopped mac nuts and would stuff the lychee - - fantastic chilled.... 
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 20:10:34
BillyB, Looks like you are having a great time in paradise.  Great pics, especially the Little Angel.

Sorry to hear Barack stole the beach on you  But, national security comes first.

mamaduck43, I would drop one of them right into a glass of chilled vodka
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 20:24:34
We went to the Flea Market for a while and then drove over to Giovanni's Shrimp truck on the North shore, Two plates of the Garlic shrimp, Rice, lemon wedge and lemon butter dipping sauce and I was in heaven. This is a fun must stop on your trip around the island. My little Mollie even put her name on the truck along with the other million names. The two girls in the truck along with the guy are great fun and full of Aloha.

P.S. Make sure everyone in the car eats the Garlic or they may just walk home. There is a water faucet behind the truck, us it or your hands will be garlicky sticky for the trip home.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/29 21:35:55
Those shrimp look luscious.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/30 00:59:38
BillyB you know me hit and miss anymore. Love the pic's. Keep them coming. 
Garlic smells of good health.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/12/30 01:05:32
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2010/12/30 11:27:23
MamaDuck...... We used to serve the stuffed lychee for catering parties when I worked here.

Annpeeples.... Thank you, shes my pride and joy.

Mar52........The shrimp were good and the garlic reminded me of how good they were the rest of the day.

joerogo..........The little princes practiced snorkeling in the pool yesterday, she is ready for the big time today.

Curbside..(mikey) If Garlic is good for you, I had a years worth yesterday. I loved every minute of it............
post edited by BillyB - 2010/12/30 11:29:27
SFS Fan
Hamburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/01 05:03:27
Billy B - I heard that the latest food fad to hit the islands is something called the "Puka Dog" and that a local chain by the same name have popped up in Honolulu, Oahu and Koloa, Kaua'i.  I was wondering if you happen to see one if you'd be willing to give them a try and let us know if it is worth going to or not?
Big Frank
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/01 10:04:13
Great trip report.  My wife and I are always looking for new places to try when we travel to Hawaii.

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/01 17:51:01
Great pictures BillyB!  Don't go anywhere!
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/03 16:25:04

Hot Malasadas and a must when your in Hawaii, they are hot out of the fryer, tossed with either sugar or cinnamon
Mahi Mahi Plate lunch from Zippy's

Short ribs with Mahi Mahi

BBQ chicken

The Plate lunches can be found all around the Island, I liked Rainbow Drive inn the best. THis is a great place to stop for breakfast and the plate lunch can be had about 9am. I was showing a lot of plate lunches because this is the way the local eat. Plenty of food for the price of a Full meal deal at any fast food  burger place.
I leave you with this sunset in Hawaii, and thanks to all who viewed this and may find it helpful in their vacation. If I can be of any help to anyone please contact me.................Bill

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/03 16:27:42
Looks like that boat is sailing away from, and not toward the sunset. Hope that is the case with you as well Billy.

Thanks for a great report.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/03 16:44:05
Thank You Tony. 
kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/04 12:19:03
Is it bad that I like those boxed lunches?

Happy to see your trip continue.  
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/04 13:00:30
Very nice Hawaiian trip report billy.  And not one smarta$$ comment about a Lei? 
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/04 13:01:04
I guess I don't understand plate lunches and stryo boxes. Nice photos though BillyB! Thank you for taking us along!
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/05 00:43:36
Kland01s.....The plate lunch is a local Hawaiian thing, I don't know what the thing is with the stryo, but they all do it.

Joerogo......At this stage of the game I'll take a Lei any place I could get it. That makes Hawaiian boy happy............Thanks again Joe......Bill

Kish.......The plate lunches at some of the better places are real good food. The Rainbow drive in with the Shoyu Chicken was one my wife was looking forward to. I can tell you we will not be eating rice for a long time.

Tony B.............I had to laugh a few times when I watched the sunset with my little girl. I looked out and saw the sunset boat cruises that I used to cater to 30 years ago as a Catering Steward. It felt like my life went  full circle.

NancyP........I took the Picture of the Shoyu Chicken for you.
post edited by BillyB - 2011/01/05 00:46:56
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/05 08:19:31
Thank you BillyB!  Sometimes a picture really helps.  So I have another question--I've always been curious about the macaroni salad and rice sides of a plate lunch.  Did those catch on to boost up the food mass/calorie content of a lunch because produce is expensive in Hawaii?  That always seems counterintuitive to me but then I guess most of the local produce in Hawaii is fruit.  Or am I thinking too much about it (entirely possible for me)?
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/05 13:30:16
Nancypalooza

Thank you BillyB!  Sometimes a picture really helps.  So I have another question--I've always been curious about the macaroni salad and rice sides of a plate lunch.  Did those catch on to boost up the food mass/calorie content of a lunch because produce is expensive in Hawaii?  That always seems counterintuitive to me but then I guess most of the local produce in Hawaii is fruit.  Or am I thinking too much about it (entirely possible for me)?

Hi Nancy, I'm not sure how the Macaroni thing got started. I do know all the plate lunches get two scoops of rice and one scoop of Macaroni salad and your entree. The Rainbow Drive- in was known for their combo plate, Mahi Mahi, BBQ pork or beef , Boneless chicken, Rice and choice of Macaroni salad or Cole slaw for $7.25...How can you beat that to keep those big Hawaiians happy.....................Bill
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/05 13:47:03
When I was driving tour buses in Hawaii, we used to describe the plate lunch and then tell the folks that in Hawaii, we don't eat until we are full - - we eat until we are tired...  One disappointment that I had while living there was the cost and quality of the produce...  The only vegetable that Hawaii produces enough of to fill its needs is cabbage - - even things that are prolific in the Islands have to be supplemented by imported goods...  Also, I believe that the make-up of the typical plate lunch stems from the times when the sugar and pineapple workers took home lunch to work with them - - mostly left overs or planned leftovers and rice, mac/potato salad were great accompaniments to the meat/sauce/gravy thing....  I miss the diversity of even a plate lunch spots menus...  And the food trucks that appear all over the place at lunchtime (even right next to the State Capitol and Honolulu Hale (city hall) have great eats.....
Billy - - - I am thoroughly enjoying the report and the photos are tear-worthy...  My Hawaiian grandkids - who left there about 7 years ago sat here and drooled over the Rainbow and Zippys photos...  Sigh.....
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/05 14:04:26
Mamaduck, The thing I noticed at the restaurants was, all the Beverage was expensive. We had breakfast at the original pancake house, the breakfast special was $4.10 and the coffee was $2.25, juice $2.50 and so on. We had two breakfast specials for $8.20 and 4 bev for over $10. WE checked the milk price at Wal-Mart $4 per gal, not bad. The problem with the prices being high in Hawaii is, everything has to be shipped in. I found a lot of bargain restaurant food items on the island, you just need to look..................Follow the locals........I learned that in Italy.....................The best ...............Bill
post edited by BillyB - 2011/01/05 14:06:36
Play27
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/06 12:38:36
Love the report. Plate lunches are similar to the meat and three, just served in styro. Curious-what is spaghetti with weenie? I'm afraid i know but thought I would ask.
post edited by Play27 - 2011/01/07 10:58:15
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/06 13:39:08
Play27........I didn;t see anyone eating the spaghetti and weenie, but I could only imagine. We had many of these plate lunches for breakfast and only had two meals a day. These meals are made to fill a person up for awhile.........................Bill
junk250
Junior Burger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/01/11 03:55:18

peppertree
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/12/02 11:00:20
Tried around four or five different Honolulu "drive-ins" and found my favorite.  http://www.newdinersdrivein.com/  They have a larger menu than others and everything I ate was good, inexpensive (for Hawaii) and portions were large. They also have an adjoining ice cream stand with tasty soft ice cream. On my first visit, cones were unbelievably $1.50 but three days later they raised the price to $2.00 for a cone.  Still a good deal.  The main drive-in is open 24/7.

I hope some of you can visit and consider this drive-in for future consideration as a restaurant of note in Hawaii on your maps.

Also try a loco moco sandwich anywhere in Honolulu and let me know where you think the best one is served. 

post edited by peppertree - 2011/12/02 11:02:11
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2011/12/02 16:21:14
Peppertree - - - I kept looking at the photo of New Diner's and I kept thinking - - "It looks familiar, but something is not right"....  So, I went further into their website and discovered that it was a place that we went to all the time....  Of course, it was just "Diners" then, and it was painted white....  The orange and green is kind of wild....  The little strip mall that runs next to and behind it has a few good neighborhood type Chinese / Korean / Barbeque places, too...  We could send one person out for dinner for our whole office and he would be able to park and run around and please everyone....

My daughter visited Oahu a couple of months ago for 3 weeks and survived on all of her old favorites - - her first morning on Island, she called me from Windward Mall - - I told her to look out towards St. Anne's and see if the Leonard's Malasada truck was parked there...  I got an immediate, "Gotta go!!!!" from her and a "MMmmmmmmm"  a few minutes later....  Too funny....  She got her fill of manapua and pork hash, too....  I was so jealous.....

kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2012/03/20 09:41:21
had yo go to Oahu a few weeks ago as my daughter who is in college there got hit riding her scooter. she is getting better and i'm back home now. we did manage to eat at many local places but can't seem to remember them all. did go to puka dog, good, alittle doughy but good. that was the only time i saw the beach. didn't go to the rainbow drive in but saw it and the line was out the door. one night one of her roomies mom brought plate dinners from a place on school street that i can't remember the name of. it was on one of the tv shows though. it was hawaiian pork, which was good, chicken wrapped in leaves. didn't care for the leaves but chicken was good. she also brought a thing of poi, not so good and bright green coconut squid thing. just ok. another roomies brought me a poke bowl one night. it was good and spicy. liked it. did get cocoa puffs from leonards, very good. the girls really took care of us while we were there. sorry i can't remember all the places names but it wasn't vacation. it was 8 days in the hospital. one day, outside the hospital, there was a farmers market and a couple restaurants set up selling food. very good curry dishes.  
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Hawaii, Oahu, Local eating around the Island 2012/03/20 10:15:58
Kennyb, happy to see you had a good trip, hope your daughter is doing well. The traffic on Oahu is crazy, there are to many cars on the island. The restaurant on School st is Helena's Hawaiian food, it doesn't get much more local than that. The Chicken may have been Lau Lau  Chicken, wrapped in Taro leaves, tied at the top and steamed. ....Take care.........................Bill
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2