Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai)

Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4074
2013/11/01 15:27:48 (permalink)

Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai)

Well, in a few days I'm off on another trip, this time sailing to Hawaii on the Star Princess. The islands I will be on are Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Hawaii. Cities are Honolulu, Lahaina, Nawiliwili and Hilo. As usual, I'm looking for some great local foods. I will be taking a food tour in Honolulu with Hawaii Food Tours but I'll still have extra time in Honolulu to search out a few places. In the other towns I have nothing so any suggestions are appreciated. Extra points for a great poke place!

Mahalo,
Ed

16 Replies Related Threads

mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/01 16:47:16 (permalink)
    In Maui I had some great poke from the Kihei Foodland deli.
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2454
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/01 22:26:05 (permalink)
    Aloha my friend......... In Honorouxroux........hey I'm a Chef
    Side street Inn, on Hopaka near Ala Moana ctr..........Roadfood restaurant, pork chops, fried rice can't gp wrong, your kind of place, large portions........

Rainbow Drive-in.........Local food, plate lunch specials, combo plater, Shoyu Chicken or Loco Moco.........

Up the street from Rainbow Drive in is Leonard's bakery...try the Hot Molasadas............

China Town, down town is a must, your kind of place...........look for the inside food court, walk around see what looks good..........also in a two block radius you will find small shops with the best Char Siu Pork. There are also a few other meat shops with Crispy pork, buy some walk around and eat. You will like this area, look for a few bakeries they are all about the same.............

The Shrimp truck, North shore.............Garlic shrimp..........After your done eating you will have garlic all over your hands. Walk around the truck there is a sink........Tell them you know me, then start running......

Pier 38 Nico's .........
    my choice for some fish.....when you get there look around the tables see what looks good.........Take a bite of what looks good, then start running again...............They do a good job on everything...Ahi is always a good choice...........

Thats all for now my friend.............have a great trip...............Bill
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/11/01 22:40:10
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/01 23:24:59 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bill. I'd heard about Leonards, they are supposed to be on the food tour I'm doing. If not, then you've given me a good start to my own food tour. Chinatown is also a must, I figure it's good for a few things. Saimin and some poke and I'll be a happy boy!

Ed
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/01 23:26:12 (permalink)
    mikeam

I'm actually going to the Kihei Canoe Club so I will check that one out. Thanks.
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2454
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/02 08:38:06 (permalink)
    Hi Ed, if you get over to Pearl Harbor, walk over to Aloha Stadium, there is a large flea Market ( Check Schedule for days of operation). The prices are better than you get in Waikiki.  Roasted Macadamia nuts, one pound bag, good price, good for dipping in chocolate when you get home. Save the Poke for the other islands, Honolulu has a much bigger amount of restaurants than the other islands. Eat lots of Sashimi, Whiere are you staying in Honolulu ??????????????

Burgers........Teddy's Bigger burger..............good burger, three different sizes, cooked to order as you like it....good shakes...............not cheap...................
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/11/02 08:42:08
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/02 11:04:05 (permalink)
    pnwchef
    Hi Ed,  Eat lots of Sashimi, Whiere are you staying in Honolulu ??????????????  

We're coming in on the Star Princess and we'll only be in Honolulu for one day.STaying on the ship which will move on the next day to Maui. I can definitely do sashimi!
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/04 16:11:32 (permalink)
    Mikeam knows his stuff. Surpringly, Foodland has excellent poke (many types) and is very generous with the free samples.

For a more Roadfood poke experience I would also recommend Eskimo Candy in Kihei and The Fish Market in Honokowai.

Most places have both "previously frozen" and "fresh" fish pokes and my advice would be to spend the extra few bucks on the fresh. A major difference in texture.
    mikeam
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/04 16:53:53 (permalink)
    EdSails

mikeam

I'm actually going to the Kihei Canoe Club so I will check that one out. Thanks.

Have a great trip!

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7013
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/04 17:11:06 (permalink)
    Never been to Hawaii.  But I hope you have a great trip!  Looking forward to a food report.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/04 18:02:16 (permalink)
    lleechef

Never been to Hawaii.  But I hope you have a great trip!  Looking forward to a food report.

Not a big deal, Lisa. It's just Alaska with less snow.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/04 18:04:58 (permalink)
    mikeam

EdSails

mikeam

Have a great trip!

Looks like you're dead on right, Mike. Even Foodland's website looks great and I know a few Hawaiians who say it's ono. I'm going to the one in either Kihei or Lahaina. Thanks!
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/04 20:26:12 (permalink)
    Howard Baratz

Mikeam knows his stuff. Surpringly, Foodland has excellent poke (many types) and is very generous with the free samples.

For a more Roadfood poke experience I would also recommend Eskimo Candy in Kihei and The Fish Market in Honokowai.

Most places have both "previously frozen" and "fresh" fish pokes and my advice would be to spend the extra few bucks on the fresh. A major difference in texture.

Definitely there fresh!
    We will be in Kihei. We're going to the Kihei Canoe Club so we'll be having lunch in Kihei. Eskimo Candy's menu looks really good. Thanks, Howard.

Ed
    mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/04 22:22:00 (permalink)
    Aloha stadium flea market / swap meet is on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday... 
    edboogie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/05 14:38:08 (permalink)
    Here are a couple of places I have been to:
    On Kauia, in Kapaa, Chicken in a barrel.    web site is chickeninabarrel  dot com
    A super roadfood place, side of the road, bbq smoked in barrels.  The chicken and ribs were both great. They have a couple picnic tables, but get your food to go, because the flies were so bothersome we could hardly enjoy.  Also get your bbq sauce before you leave.

On Maui in Lahaina:  Captain Jacks    web site is     captainjacksmaui dot com
    This place is upstairs on Front street kiddy corner from the big banyon tree.  If you sit at the rail you can do some great people watching.  The coconut shrimp and burger sliders were great.  We also ordered the wings and they gave us bbq instead of hot.  Not bad, just not what we expected.  We went for a happy hour, and ordered a mai tai, and they gave us the most expensive one, which was not on special.  Switched to beer after that.  All we had here was pupus.

Cheeseburger in Paradise    web site is cheeseburerland dot com
    Part of a chain, but this one is on Front street overlooking the ocean.  Great views, the cheeseburgers are always decent with good fries.  My wife likes the fish sandwich.  You can see whales during whale season. 

Smokehouse bbq    web site is  yelp dot com /biz/smokehouse-bbq-lahaina
    This place is sort of hit or miss, but since I always go and now know the owner Joe, he always takes care of me.  Baby back ribs are the way to go, he smokes them over kiawe wood.  The full slab is big and meaty.  He has a bbq sauce he calls dragon sauce or something you might have to ask for, it is extremely hot.  This place is in a little strip mall about 3 blocks back from the ocean, by a mostly deserted shopping center where Hardrock Cafe is. 
    post edited by edboogie - 2013/11/05 14:46:58
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/13 06:07:24 (permalink)
    Shocked no one has mentioned in Lahaina... one of the few local local local spots (not including any teeny places I never stumbled on in 30+ years of visiting).

Aloha Mixed Plate:
    http://www.alohamixedplate.com/

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Hawaii--Hilo, Lahaina, Honolulu and Nawiliwili (Kauai) 2013/11/27 22:00:57 (permalink)
    Well, back in town. I'll be writing up about my trip soon. Umeke's in Kona had great poke. Ran out of time in Lahaina so didn't make it to Aloha Mixed Plate but did go to Lulu's for some great Saimin Oxtail soup. Had an awesome "hole in the wall" food tour in Honolulu. And killer shave ice in Kona!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1