Hawaiian Pizza?

Author
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
2005/12/06 16:40:25 (permalink)

Hawaiian Pizza?

Which chains have the best Hawaiian Pizza? And, do you think it's best with BBQ sauce or regular generic pizza sauce? I like it on a thin crust and considering I am out in rural KY, my choices are limited. In my town, we only have Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Little Caesars and no roadfood pizzarias. In a nearby town we have a very good place called Joe Bolongna's, but well it's not a quick trip.

Andrea

24 Replies Related Threads

Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/06 17:26:36 (permalink)
    AndreaB – with choices like that I would suggest that you work on your pizza making skills! I prefer Hawaiian pizza with tomato sauce. For my tomato sauce I like to strain a can of stewed tomatoes and add a bit of tomato paste, olive oil, pepper, garlic, sugar and oregano. I use a bread machine to make the dough, it's not too much work.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/06 17:41:00 (permalink)
    I will try this at home, because tonight's Hawaiian from Pizza Hut was not good at all (but what did I expect anyway). So you make the sauce with the drained stewed tomatoes mixed up and mashed up with the spices and tomato paste? I don't have a bread machine so I will try this on a Boboli. I like for the Canadian Bacon to be crispy and juicy(but not blackened) and the pineapple to be chuncky and juicy but not watery nor dried out. I also like onions on this pizza.

Andrea
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/06 18:44:44 (permalink)
    The Round Table chain has an interesting variation of Hawaiian pizza called "Maui Zaui:"

"Tender ham, crisp bacon, juicy pineapple, Roma tomatoes, red and green onions. Baked with a blend of 3 cheeses on our Zesty Red Sauce. Polynesian Sauce may be available upon request at some locations."

I've had it with the Polynesian sauce and it's pretty good. It's a sweet fruit juice based sauce.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/06 19:05:57 (permalink)
    I can't stand canadian bacon,always have since the birth of the egg mcmuffin. I love country ham and most all ham though. Hawaiian pizza for me would be pineapple, shrimp, grn peppers and bbq. Maybe some real ham too.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 08:59:59 (permalink)
    Yeah, I just sort of mix and match up whatever spices and tomatoes I have on hand, it's different each time. I like the stewed tomatoes as you end up with some chunks. Pick up a bread machine sometime, there like $30.00 and simple to use. I like Bob's Red Mill flour. Here are their recipes:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipe/search.php?category_ID=24&product_ID=all&keywords=&submit=%3A%3A+search+%3A%3A
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 10:40:35 (permalink)
    Gee folks, it seems to me that Hawaiian Pizza is a perfect example of an oxymoron.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 10:53:51 (permalink)
    I've never been a fan of Canadian bacon in any form, but a now defunct local family run pizzaria used to offer meatball and pinaapple.. mmmmm.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 11:08:59 (permalink)
    No wonder it's defunct.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 11:55:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Gee folks, it seems to me that Hawaiian Pizza is a perfect example of an oxymoron.

Canadian bacon, pineapple, and JALAPENOS.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 13:14:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Canadian bacon, pineapple, and JALAPENOS.

I like pineapple, pepperonni, and garlic. It's good with or without jalapenos.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 13:20:22 (permalink)
    We've done this before. I get literally queezy at the thought of pineapple on pizza--and I like both of them seperately. I can't even stand to smell the combination.

But regardless of your taste in pizza, Andrea, I feel for you. As others here know, I spend my summers in San Francisco, where there's a very decent independent pizzeria run by some guys from Morocco across the street, and my winters in Green Valley, AZ where the pizza choices are Pizza Hut and Domino's. In SF, I've long considered take-out pizza a quick, easy Friday evening supper Here in GV, I can't get used to the notion that there just isn't any decent pizza. Last Friday I got one from Pizza Hut--half of it sits in the fridge uneaten (it's just too tasteless and gloppy). I don't own a bread machine and don't think of pizza I have to make myself as "quick or easy" so, except when I totally lose my mind like last Friday, I stick with frozen pizza just for those moments when the craving obscures my reason. Last one I tried was California Pizza Kitchen (for the nostalgia as much as anything--there's one of those in my SF neighborhood also) and it was better than the fresh things from Pizza Hut (still couldn't call it good).
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 13:55:10 (permalink)
    BT: For quick and easy let me suggest that you try a Boboli crust. Eight minutes in the oven at 450-degrees F and it's done. I top mine simply. I'll spready chopped garlic and olive oil on the crust, then add either sliced or diced plum tomatoes (if I dice I seed the tomatoes), a little Parigiano Reggiano, some dried oregano, slices of fresh mozzarella, some chopped green onion, and that's it. It tastes fresh and it's delicious. And it sure is simple and quick.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 14:25:16 (permalink)
    quote:

BT: For quick and easy let me suggest that you try a Boboli crust. Eight minutes in the oven at 450-degrees F and it's done. I top mine simply. I'll spready chopped garlic and olive oil on the crust, then add either sliced or diced plum tomatoes (if I dice I seed the tomatoes), a little Parigiano Reggiano, some dried oregano, slices of fresh mozzarella, some chopped green onion, and that's it. It tastes fresh and it's delicious. And it sure is simple and quick.

I've used Boboli crusts but never for pizza. Usually, I've just eaten them as is (or with maybe a little garlic butter) as a bread (i.e. focaccia). But you have just about convinced me to try your method--it does sound better than anything else around here.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 16:46:36 (permalink)
    I have come to LOVE Boboli!!! In this land of chain store pizzeria's GOOD pizza is hard to come by and what i can make with boboli is FAR superior to anything they sell!My favorite is with light sauce.a thin layer of finely sliced onions and green peppers--anchovies-a little grated parm--grated mozzerella and grated provelone and garlic! Wine and a salad!! Heavenly!And the small size is Great for quick and tasty lunches and can put all the anchovies i want on MINE and SHE doesnt have to have any! They are also great just heated with crushed garlic and olive oil! Mr Hoffman--you are dead on right with this one!
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 17:39:34 (permalink)
    why does anyone find it hard to make a good pizza dough?

It takes, what, like 15 minutes to make the dough?
    Then put it in a bowl with a damp towel over it and walk away.
    A little later, it's ready to be shaped.

On a night I'm making pizza, I get home and do the dough before doing anything else (besides washing my hands)
    Then that's done. I can walk away and attend to family, chores, or what ever.
    And when I'm ready to make the pizza, the dough will be ready.

I'll put my easy dough recipe on-line one of these days.
    You don't need to use pre-cooked shells.

BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 20:36:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Simple. It's probably that I don't do it enough, but when I try, too often my yeast is dead--the dough fails to rise. If I made it often and bought fresh yeast, I'd probably have less trouble.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 20:56:35 (permalink)
    Here's a recipe that redtressed sent me for thin-crust. I haven't tried it yet, but she uses it a lot.

http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/T/272.htm
    Boxcar Bill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 21:22:22 (permalink)
    There is no such thing as Hawaiian pizza. Its just another name for American junk food.
    Boxcar Bill
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/07 21:24:56 (permalink)
    A decent pizza can be made with good crusty French or Italian bread if you can get it. and I don't mean that supermarket cr*p with the sugar in it.
    scott_partyguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/08 08:25:12 (permalink)
    What the hell is Canadian Bacon?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/08 09:01:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scott_partyguy

What the hell is Canadian Bacon?

Canadian bacon is often called back bacon in Canada. It's a smoked meat taken from the eye of the loin.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/08 09:12:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Simple. It's probably that I don't do it enough, but when I try, too often my yeast is dead--the dough fails to rise. If I made it often and bought fresh yeast, I'd probably have less trouble.

Fair enough BT.
    But, you've got Trader Joe's out there and they sell pre-made fresh dough. (At least they do at the ones in MD and VA.)
    In any event, I'll send my simple recipe, when my brain actually engages itself and remembers to bring it to the computer.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/08 10:44:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:

I've used Boboli crusts but never for pizza. Usually, I've just eaten them as is (or with maybe a little garlic butter) as a bread (i.e. focaccia). But you have just about convinced me to try your method--it does sound better than anything else around here.

By the way, if I have it on hand, I'll use a chiffonade of fresh basil along with the green onions, and sometimes, if I have some Italian parsely, I'll chop some of that up, too.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Hawaiian Pizza? 2005/12/09 00:42:03 (permalink)
    Variously named Hawaiian pizzas were a staple of my college years. I don't eat them now but they did appeal back then.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1