Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8109
2012/08/30 13:50:56 (permalink)

Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented

Last year at a barbecue restaurant in Texas I was about to squirt a bit of sauce on to my plate when I noticed that all the lids on the squeeze bottles were unscrewed and just sitting on top of the bottles.  Disaster waiting to happen.

Phillipe's a couple of years ago changed from a mustard jar and spoon to squirt bottles.

I always check salt and pepper shakers before using them.

That said, I'm surprised the health departments haven't set rules for how condiments are supplied to patrons in restaurants.

Out in the open they have such easy access for the sick and demented.

I have a friend who I think has an obsessive, compulsive disorder because when we go out to a restaurant she takes Handiwipes out or her purse and wipes down the silverware, glasses and salt and pepper shakers.

Maybe she's not far off in her thinking.

It's tacky, but would individual serving containers make more sense?  They'd cost more, but...

13 Replies Related Threads

iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 492
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 14:17:55 (permalink)
    When I was a kid growing up we would un-screw the lids from salt shakers or ketchup bottles all the time! 
    Knowing that we used to do it I am to this day very careful when putting any condiment on my food.........  ya never know! 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 14:29:49 (permalink)
    Greg, I believe you. 
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 14:37:48 (permalink)
    We used to do all kinds of things when we were young and kids and foolish!  LOL
    We used to go into a favorite after school hangout of ours and sit down deliberately at a table that hadnt been cleared off yet and commence to eat the 1/2 eaten left-overs, pocket whatever tip (if any) had been left and then leave!

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 14:41:57 (permalink)
    You haven't changed! 

I guess all buffets would be outlawed if restaurants couldn't supply communal condiments.
    iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 14:51:03 (permalink)
    A question about splitting the bill...............
    When you go out to a restaurant and eat with another person (a third party person)  and it comes time to get the bill.............  do you ask your waiter/waitress to give you seperate bills or do you split the bill?....................Along the same lines..........how do you figure out how much each persons share is?   Do you and your partner/date split it automatically in 1/2 with that 3rd. party or?????
    We have a Relative (NO names being mentioned) who used to go out and eat with us from time to time and  this person would order appetizers/horderves (something which we usually never do) and he/she would also order the most expensive meal on the menu!  When it came for the bill our meals were almost always WAY less.  If we split it evenly we would end up paying a LOT more.   Same went for the tip!  We were ALWAYS the one who ended up leaving the tip! 

post edited by iluvcfood - 2012/08/30 14:53:16
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3565
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 14:59:18 (permalink)
    It depends on who I'm with, and how each of us is paying. If I'm out with someone I trust, then I'm good with having the bill together, and we each figure out how much we owe for what we ordered, plus tip. Sometimes one of us doesn't have cash, so instead of making the server split it between cash and charge, whoever is paying with a card will cover the whole thing and pocket the cash.

People I don't trust, though, separate bills all the way. Less hassle, less arguing, less feeling obligated to cover for someone who doesn't get it.

As to the condiments, I've never really thought about it, but you're right. I'm always careful about the tops (I was one of those kids, too), but it never even crossed my mind that someone could easily put pretty much anything they wanted into them.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 15:10:08 (permalink)
    We usually split the bill.

BUT...  I had some friends that I used to go out with and it was always stated that we'd split the bill before ordering. 

All the food items were close in price so it didn't matter....  until they all ordered dessert and lattes!

That added another $10+ to each of what they ordered.

When the bill came I said I'd just pay for what I ordered, tax and tip.

It wasn't a problem.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2445
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 16:11:09 (permalink)
    A friend of mine told me a story that years ago, Nathan's in Coney Island, NY used to serve their mustard in a large silver bowl with a big spoon.  Customers could walk up to the counter and use it to top their hot dogs but one time someone had slipped some acid in to the mustard which caused some people to freak out and ever since then they have used pump-action dispensers.  Urban legend or true?  

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 838
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 17:04:10 (permalink)
    billyboy
    A friend of mine told me a story that years ago, Nathan's in Coney Island, NY used to serve their mustard in a large silver bowl with a big spoon.  Customers could walk up to the counter and use it to top their hot dogs but one time someone had slipped some acid in to the mustard which caused some people to freak out and ever since then they have used pump-action dispensers.  Urban legend or true?  

By acid I assume you mean LSD.  I'm from New York and I heard that story too, and I remember the open mustard bowls as well.  And I first heard that story back in the late 60's (or early 70's) when they transitioned to the pump dispensers.  I'm leaning toward true.
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1745
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 17:06:39 (permalink)
    iluvcfood

A question about splitting the bill...............
    When you go out to a restaurant and eat with another person (a third party person)  and it comes time to get the bill.............  do you ask your waiter/waitress to give you seperate bills or do you split the bill?....................Along the same lines..........how do you figure out how much each persons share is?   Do you and your partner/date split it automatically in 1/2 with that 3rd. party or?????
    We have a Relative (NO names being mentioned) who used to go out and eat with us from time to time and  this person would order appetizers/horderves (something which we usually never do) and he/she would also order the most expensive meal on the menu!  When it came for the bill our meals were almost always WAY less.  If we split it evenly we would end up paying a LOT more.   Same went for the tip!  We were ALWAYS the one who ended up leaving the tip! 

Now..let's see......."who had the watercress sandwich?".........Seriously, I just wouldn't eat with this person without separate checks.  And I'm the type who if we go out with another cple we just split it 50/50.  I don't worry if I invite someone to my house (certain relatives will remain nameless) and they end up eating 3-4 portions...in fact if that family of 4 shows up, I triple to quadruple my recipes for my family of 4.  I guess, every now and then, I don't care.........repeatdly, over time...yeah..annoying!
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 20:01:40 (permalink)
    How about the relative that asks every time if she can wrap up a little to take home for lunch (to feed an army)?

iluvcfood
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 20:39:16 (permalink)
    Well........  the person I'm referring to had a bad habit of ordering everything on the menu then expected to split it in 1/2  
    They finally got put into their place one year however..........We were at breakfast and the Wife ordered a Bagle w/ cream cheese and coffee and I ordered a short stack of pancakes with a glass of ice water and lemon........  the 3rd. party proceeded to order the BIGGEST steak and eggs breakfast on the menu along with coffee, orange juice and 2 glasses of milk!  After breakfast the same person ordered a slice of apple pie!  
    The bill was astronomical and when it arrived they somewhat hesitantly pulled out about 1/2 of the total and put it on the table!  The Wife shook her head and said NO WAY!  Give me a seperate bill!  
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Health departments, condiments and the sick and demented 2012/08/30 21:01:43 (permalink)
    Kudos to Rena!  I did the same when the dessert and latte's were ordered.

Now I want some dessert and a latte.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1