Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
2006/06/17 15:02:16 (permalink)

Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies?

Wow I have a bumper crop of wonderful tomatos coming ripe and need some recipies to expierment with. I have several varieties such as; Mr. Stripy which is a yellow and orange striped beefsteak, Caspian Black which is a mediun sized fruit that turs dark red/black when it is ripe, Yellow Pear is self explanitory, and Scarlet Red Grape which is also self explanitory. Any ideas would be helpful as I plan to use them in the restaurant.

31 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/17 16:15:29 (permalink)
    Wow, mine don't even have flowers going yet (considering our last frost was only like 2 weeks ago).. But your bumper crop would make up a decent heirloom (chefs) salad!
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/17 16:23:35 (permalink)
    Option #1

2 slices white bread
    mayo
    sliced tomatoes
    lettuce (optional)
    bacon (optional)
    salt and pepper

Option #2

Good Italian bread
    sliced tomatoes
    1 or 2 balls fresh mozzarella
    olive oil
    freshly ground pepper

Not very fancy but it's the treatment they would get at my house.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/17 17:13:22 (permalink)
    Standard salad of layered fresh Mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. Best thing is not to hide the wonderful taste of the heirloom tomtoes.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7317
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/17 17:56:45 (permalink)
    I agree with the above posters on the mozzarella/basil treatment. Grilled eggplant could be added to the dish too, drizzle with a little balsamic and EVOO, garnish with some roasted garlic cloves and a fried basil leaf on top. Simple and delicious.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/17 20:11:03 (permalink)
    Give them a whole ripe tomato and a salt shaker. Nothing more needed.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 09:43:19 (permalink)
    The very best recipe (and I'm happy to share it with you):

INGREDIENTS:
    my FEDEX number and address
    about 12-lbs tomatoes

Wrap tomatoes individually, each in a soft cloth or tissue paper
    Pack carefully in a box, with packing peanuts or newspaper

Call FEDEX, give them my account number & request a pickup.

I'll do the rest. And thanks.

Ron

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 10:05:49 (permalink)
    This is a good way to use a variety of shapes and colors of tomatoes:

PASTA WITH FRESH TOMATOES

5 medium-size vine-ripened tomatoes (or equivalent of smaller ones)
    1 Tbs. red wine vinegar (can substitute basalmic)
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, chopped (can use more)
    1/ 2 cup good olive oil
    1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    1/ 4 Lb. Brie cheese, rind off, cubed
    Linguini noodles or other pasta

Peel, seed and drain tomatoes. Chop into 1/4" to 1/2" cubes. Sprinkle with vinegar after placing in a glass bowl. In a small skillet, cook the garlic in olive oil until softened but not browned. Add to tomatoes; stir. Add basil, salt and pepper. Marinate at room temperature for several hours. Cook linguini al dente; drain. Toss with tomato mixture and cheese cubes. Serves 4-6.

sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 11:30:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    boyardee65 Posted - 06/17/2006 : 15:02:16
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow I have a bumper crop of wonderful tomatos coming ripe and need some recipies to expierment with

Hello Boyardee how the hell did you get you tomatoes to ripen so fast??? where do you live??
    I'm in San Jose CA ,planted 2 months ago and my beefsteaks are still green and only the size of golf balls
    I'm a rookie at this tomato growing thing should I be feeding the plants something other then Miracle Grow??? The plants are 4 feet tall and loaded with green tomatoes but not even close to a BLT.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 12:22:49 (permalink)
    Received this recipe in my morning mail..

Tomato, Mozzarella & Polenta Platter
    http://www.foresthillsfoods.com/RecipeShow.cfm?recipe_id=35621
    boyardee65
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 15:34:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
    boyardee65 Posted - 06/17/2006 : 15:02:16
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow I have a bumper crop of wonderful tomatos coming ripe and need some recipies to expierment with

Hello Boyardee how the hell did you get you tomatoes to ripen so fast??? where do you live??
    I'm in San Jose CA ,planted 2 months ago and my beefsteaks are still green and only the size of golf balls
    I'm a rookie at this tomato growing thing should I be feeding the plants something other then Miracle Grow??? The plants are 4 feet tall and loaded with green tomatoes but not even close to a BLT.
    I live in Wickenburg AZ. Our growing season is very long as we don't typicaly get frost after Feb. I planted in early March and use horse manure as well as plant food once per month. Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas and recipies.
    boyardee65
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 15:38:13 (permalink)
    All you poeple live in the arctic? I've had ripe tomatos for about a month. Not many at first but man oh man they are coming fast and furiously now.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7317
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 19:55:17 (permalink)
    I DO actually live in the arctic! We can't grow a freakin tomato here to save us, just the greenhouse ones. May as well eat cardboard. When I lived in Boston I had a great garden but never had tomatoes much before the end of July. Of course I couldn't plant in early March because of blizzards and floods!

When queenb came here last summer from Georgia she asked me, "What do you want me to bring?" Immediately said, "TOMATOES from your garden!!" She did and we savored them.

So Boyardee, enjoy your bumper crop. Wish I had one.
    boyardee65
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 20:38:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

I DO actually live in the arctic! We can't grow a freakin tomato here to save us, just the greenhouse ones. May as well eat cardboard. When I lived in Boston I had a great garden but never had tomatoes much before the end of July. Of course I couldn't plant in early March because of blizzards and floods!

When queenb came here last summer from Georgia she asked me, "What do you want me to bring?" Immediately said, "TOMATOES from your garden!!" She did and we savored them.

So Boyardee, enjoy your bumper crop. Wish I had one.
    Sorry lleechef. Diddn't know there were actually people from the arctic on this thread. I was just being funny. Sorry about the lack of good tomatos there.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18896
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 20:53:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by boyardee65

All you poeple live in the arctic? I've had ripe tomatos for about a month. Not many at first but man oh man they are coming fast and furiously now.

We don't usually get ripe tomatoes here in central Ohio till August.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/18 21:34:30 (permalink)
    quote:

Wow I have a bumper crop of wonderful tomatos coming ripe and need some recipies to expierment with. I have several varieties such as; Mr. Stripy which is a yellow and orange striped beefsteak, Caspian Black which is a mediun sized fruit that turs dark red/black when it is ripe, Yellow Pear is self explanitory, and Scarlet Red Grape which is also self explanitory. Any ideas would be helpful as I plan to use them in the restaurant.

If they came out good, why not showcase the natural flavor of the heirlooms to your customers? Those varieties are making a huge comeback, and you could "educate" your customers by offering them as "specialty plates"; sliced with some sprinkling of good sea salt.

What first comes to mind as comparison are places on the west coast that offer different varieties of fresh raw oysters or clams. They give a description and source the region, and price each according to rarity.

Why not do something similar with tomatoes? Make it fun. Could even turn into your annual "Tomato Festival".

Just an idea, but I think using those in "recipes" would just make them into generic tomatoes, and your customers couldn't appreciate what you're trying to offer.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/19 01:56:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:

If they came out good, why not showcase the natural flavor of the heirlooms to your customers? Those varieties are making a huge comeback, and you could "educate" your customers by offering them as "specialty plates"; sliced with some sprinkling of good sea salt.

What first comes to mind as comparison are places on the west coast that offer different varieties of fresh raw oysters or clams. They give a description and source the region, and price each according to rarity.

Why not do something similar with tomatoes? Make it fun. Could even turn into your annual "Tomato Festival".

Just an idea, but I think using those in "recipes" would just make them into generic tomatoes, and your customers couldn't appreciate what you're trying to offer.

I agree completely. Great tomatoes deserve to be eaten by themselves - chop them up and put them into recipes, and they pretty much disappear. I just love cold, thick slices of juicy ripe tomatoes with a sprinkling of kosher salt or sea salt on them. Delicious.
    boyardee65
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/21 14:03:00 (permalink)
    Thanks to all who submitted to this thread. I appreciate all of the advise and recipies. Will offer a specialty plate of heirloom tomatos with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, E.V.O.O. and basalmic vinegar for those who are not purists. Thanx again!

David O.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/21 22:26:09 (permalink)
    quote:

Thanks to all who submitted to this thread. I appreciate all of the advise and recipies. Will offer a specialty plate of heirloom tomatos with sea salt, fresh ground pepper, E.V.O.O. and basalmic vinegar for those who are not purists. Thanx again!

David O.

Please let us know how things turn out.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/22 16:50:28 (permalink)
    Try bringing back some old recipes to the menu. Baked or broiled tomatoes..the Mr Stripey would do well in that! Stewed tomatoes as a side. Use some of the yellow pears as a sauce or soup, for a colour contrast. Do a tomato aspic or a nice old tomato relish. Maybe a pizza. Make some tomato dressings or tomato based drinks (juicing is easy). Tomatoes are quite possibly the most versatile food in your pantry. Shoot, the skies the limit here.
    lunamoth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/22 17:00:45 (permalink)
    French Tomato Tart:

make a pastry crust for the tart shell: (butter cust)

partially blind bake the crust: then spread a layer of shredded Gruyere cheese over bottom, top that layer with a good, grainy mustard, top that with a mixture of sliced, fresh tomatoes that have been sauteed with onions (drain excess liquid). Sprinkle some fresh thyme, salt and pepper: then bake at 400 until crust is thoroughly cooked and cheese has melted.

serve at room temp.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/23 08:30:43 (permalink)
    a good brunswick stew starts with awesome tomatos. or a good tomato soup, or vegetable stew, or saute veggie blend...
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/06/23 21:50:37 (permalink)
    Boyardee, you are so damned lucky. Fry those puppies before they get really soft and overly ripe. I dip mine in self-rising flour and fry them in light olive oil. And I have them with a piece of toast, with sweet butter. Fry them fast but don't let them burn. Whole thing takes about five minutes. Pile them on the toast and salt them and grind pepper over them. There is not a better meal on this earth. Breakfast,lunch or dinner. Enjoy!!
    boyardee65
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/07/13 19:45:05 (permalink)
    Well the tomato salad went really well! everybody liked the variety and the real flavors of home grown tomatoes(nothing like it).Once again thanx alot to all who submitted recipies and advice!

David O.
    unalaskawoman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/07/14 22:22:42 (permalink)
    http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000578heirloom_tomato_basil_mozzarella_salad.php

This recipe is on the simply recipes website
    old geezer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/08/04 18:44:23 (permalink)
    quote:

old geezer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/08/04 18:45:40 (permalink)
    quote:

fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/08/05 09:37:14 (permalink)
    Pasta with fresh Heirloom tomato and ricotta salata.

Cut the tomatoes into small neat chunks (use 4 different ones if you can to look nice), put in a bowl with extra virgin, 1/2 finely minced garlic (I don't like too much garlic, you can mince 1 if you prefer), s&p, 2 basil slivered. Let sit 20 minutes for juices to mingle. Pour over pasta shaped like ziti or penne, add grated ricotta salata and grated parmigian. Best at room temp, not cold.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/08/26 15:22:19 (permalink)
    Took this from my local newspaper...
    Sure sounds good.....
    I see they charge $12 for this salad at the Blackbird....

Posted on Wed, Aug. 23, 2006

Summer Savory Heirloom Tomato SaladAdapted from Paul Kahan, executive chef, Blackbird Restaurant in Chicago. Serves 4.

¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

12¾-inch cubes peasant bread

Sea salt and black pepper

3-5 medium heirloom tomatoes such as Green Zebra and Brandywine, sliced into ½-inch-thick slices

2 small balls burrata cheese, sliced ½-inch thick

1 handful wild arugula leaves

½ red torpedo onion, cut into thin rings

12 Sun Gold tomatoes, cut in half

8 white anchovy fillets

8-12 Lucques olives, pitted

2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegarPour ¼ cup olive oil into a medium saucepan. Season bread cubes well with salt and pepper. Fry croutons until crispy brown on all sides.

Arrange tomato slices on a platter. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with a bit of the olive oil. Arrange cheese slices on top of tomatoes.

In a large bowl, toss arugula, red onion, Sun Gold tomatoes, anchovies and olives with ½ teaspoon of balsamic vinegar and remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Heap salad on top of tomato-burrata composition. Drizzle remaining balsamic vinegar around the platter. Cast on croutons. Enjoy.

Note: Also, try these substitutions:

Mozzarella can stand in for burrata, standard arugula for wild arugula, yellow cherry tomatoes for Sun Gold, a few slices of red onion for torpedo, and green picholine olives for Lucques.
    http://www.blackbirdrestaurant.com/lunch.php

© 2006 The Sun News and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com
    baconman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Heirloom Tomatos Coming Ripe Any Recipies? 2006/08/26 17:15:10 (permalink)
    I make my own V-8 juice. It is Really good!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1