Hellman's vs. Best Foods

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4590
2005/08/04 00:39:44 (permalink)

Hellman's vs. Best Foods

I have never had the two in the same room at the same time.

I've heard there is a slight difference. Anybody know the whys (?) of why there are two different names?

I think the popular thinking is they are the same ... I'm gonna do some Googling, but I'd be interested to hear what people think.

13 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/04 01:45:41 (permalink)
    In fine print on bottom of the homepage of the Hellman's website:
    "Hellmann's® is known as Best Foods® west of the Rockies"

In fine print on the bottom of the homepage of the Best Foods website:
    "Best Foods® is known as Hellmann's® east of the Rockies"

It has always been my understanding that many years ago their were two different companies, one operating on the east coast and one on the west coast. One of them bought out the other, but didn't want to try to convert all the people who were used to buying the other brand to a new name. Hence two different popular brands in two different locations, now all owned by Unilever
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/04 02:25:06 (permalink)
    It was a shock to me when I moved to the midwest. Hellman's had the same slogan, jingle and commercials as Best Foods and I coulnd not figure out why. I eventually learned the reason.Now I notice that Hardee"s and Carl's Jr. seem to have the same arrangement.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/04 02:46:17 (permalink)
    Having grown up on the east coast, and after spending a number of years studying west of the Rockies, I tasted both Best Foods and Hellman's, and there really is no difference in taste, as far as I could tell.
    Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/04 07:48:59 (permalink)
    As was already stated, they are the same product, and just bear different names in The East and in The West. This is essentially the same situation as the McCormick company which markets its spices under its corporate name in the East, but puts the "Schilling" name on them in The West. When one company buys out another, it is frequently a good business strategy to continue to use the original name, as customers are used to that trademark.
    jayparker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/04 07:55:23 (permalink)
    It's true, Hellmann's and Best Foods mayonnaises are the same product. However, did you know they recently changed the recipe? I can certainly tell the difference. Check this out:

http://www.thesqueakywheel.com/complaints/2005/FEB/complaint6011.cfm

http://tinyurl.com/54j6j
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/04 10:12:13 (permalink)
    I'm traveling in Illinois visiting family members who prefer the Hellman's/Best Foods product. I looked at those websites, and I especially didn't like:

"Best Foods has just been sent an e-mail message letting them know that you have seen this page."

Previously Best Foods obviously contained an artificial thickener not listed in the ingredients. The peculiar texture of this product was typical of the use of carageenan. Now those web pages say it's thinner, so perhaps they removed the carageenan.

Best Foods does list vinegar as the acid. Kraft lists lemon juice, which is why Kraft is so much tastier. I'm carrying Kraft in my cooler so I have good mayo when visiting the relatives. Rather than writing the manufacturer of Best Foods/Hellman's, why not just try Kraft? You will never go back.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/04 15:04:18 (permalink)
    Has anyone seen the hilarious flick "The History of White People in America"? MG's toting his own mayo on trips reminds me of that film.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/05 02:43:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I have never had the two in the same room at the same time.

Go to Albuquerque. The Rockies are the dividing line for the two brands, so all the Albuquerque supermarkets whose warehouses are west of the Rockies have Best Foods, and all the Albuquerque supermarkets whose warehouses are east of the Rockies have Hellmann's.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/05 05:32:08 (permalink)
    This is probably a question of individual taste, and what we are used to, but I cannot tolerate the taste and the consistency of Kraft mayonnaise...I find it is the equivalent of the most basic, cheapest generic equivalent in the supermarket...I would love to know what exactly Hellman's/Best Foods has to make their product as unique as it is...could it really be just a question of the vinegar, in place of lemon juice? Doesn't seem likely..
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/05 11:03:01 (permalink)
    Perhaps it's that the Hellman's/Best Foods product is supposed to taste more like the Kraft product Miracle Whip.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/06 16:37:08 (permalink)
    I WONDER
    that they might taste different from eachother just as anything made in a different facility from something else would taste...
    ie: oreo cookies made at a factory in oregon and oreo cookies made at a factory in new york
    Do they taste the same ..?
    Just got me thinking about that!~
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/06 16:59:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by michaelgemmell

Perhaps it's that the Hellman's/Best Foods product is supposed to taste more like the Kraft product Miracle Whip.

Could be..although I really love Hellman's, yet I find Miracle Whip inedible; it is so sickeningly sweet to my palate, and I don't find Hellman's sweet at all.

Again, probably just a question of personal taste.
    hefried
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Hellman's vs. Best Foods 2005/08/07 22:18:31 (permalink)
    here's a strange thing (maybe)
    i totalllllly loooovvvve hellmans or best foods mayonaise.( where ever in the usa i happen to be eating ....)
    but i also totally dig miracle whip!!! it's just that i see them as totally different food products!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1