The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Help for an aspiring restauranteur

Ditas1

• Total Posts: 1
Help for an aspiring restauranteur Tue, 11/22/11 8:22 PM (permalink)
Hello everyone, i am sure this is a common thread on this forum, but i was hoping to find some assistance with planning out my first business plan.

I have 5 years experience in cooking, and 2 in restaurant management, i'm young (perhaps too young at 24) and driven, and i'd love the opportunity to fulfill the dream of owning and operating my own restaurant. 

I have many contacts in business, advertising/sales, construction/renovation, brewing and cooking; at this point i'm looking for help with the basic logistics of how one would begin analyzing the profitability of opening a restaurant. 

Thus far i have a concept and a possible venue in mind, but many questions. 

Specifically, i'm looking for probable expenses in the following areas:

Rent or Lease for space
Business and Employee insurance costs
Water/Gas/Electric
Waste Removal
Mechanical/Equipment Repair/Maintenance
Initial equipment costs

I have a pretty good idea of labor costs, building maintenance costs, advertising, etc. but i cant seem to find many good resources online about the basic costs of operating out of a venue. 

The concept is a small restaurant (and possibly Brew-Pub) that focuses on breakfast and lunch take out meals at a reasonable price (with the option to "Eat-In".) 

After dinner, the establishment would convert easily into a bar or brew-pub (this would depend on whether or not i can convince a brewer to become a partner) that would offer good beer in a casual atmosphere free of the pretension of competing establishments.

I also have questions about forming an LLC partnership, obtaining a liquor liscense, and perfecting a business plan. 

Any help at all, even a nod towards a good reference book or web page is extremely appreciated, and thank you for taking the time to simply read over my post.
<message edited by Ditas1 on Tue, 11/22/11 8:33 PM>

agmccall

• Total Posts: 239
    Re:Help for an aspiring restauranteur Wed, 11/23/11 4:54 AM (permalink)
    First you really have to decide what restaurant you want.  In your post you say "Small Restaurant (possibly brew pub)  These are 2 totally different animals.  Small restaurant rent, equipment, utilities etc. will be much less than a brew pub. So, first decide what you want. If you go with the brew pub concept, you will need a much larger place and much more, very expensive, equipment.

Insurance costs can vary by thousands of dollars.  How many employees, what type of equipment are you insuring etc.

Waste removal, and utilities.  you will have to call your local companies for that.

Look up your local small business administration.  You can make an appointment and they will give you advice and help with your business plan.

al

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com