Help keeping my truck cool

Author
cue
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2014/08/25 05:12:45 (permalink)

Help keeping my truck cool

I have a 18' old fed ex truck that has been converted to a food truck. It has the aluminum exterior, 2x2 square tubing for studs and stainless on the interior. Summer is about over but I have to make some changes for next year or we will not be able to run it during the hottest part of the summer. I am in Oklahoma and on our 95 degree plus days, the interior of my truck is usually around 104 to 111 degrees. I can live with it but my wife is very sensitive to heat. She's had a couple of heat strokes in the past. We have one roof mounted Coleman 13.5K ac which does no good besides blow cold air on you. I also have to rv fans that input about 1800 cfm to balance out what my exhaust hood takes out. For equipment I am running: (all propane) 3 hole warmer, 36" griddle and 2-35lb fryers. I have painted the top fiberglass roof with a reflective paint.

I have done a lot of reading on Road Food.com and can not come up with a straight answer. Do I insulate or not? Floors, walls, and ceiling? What kind of insulation? Spray foam? Foam Sheets? Batting? I don't want to spend a ton of money but money is not a huge hindrance. I don't mind putting in a second a/c but only if it will do good, I do have the available wattage. Any other options?

Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

j.lamboy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    Re: Help keeping my truck cool 2014/08/25 09:53:03 (permalink)
    Did you insulate the walls? Or just left the work area factory?
    BelCibo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re: Help keeping my truck cool 2014/08/25 11:43:35 (permalink)
    Our trucks runs 5-10F hotter than outside temp.  We had one day last year that was 108F outside, 114 inside.  2x2 FRP walls with rigid pink insulation.  3ft griddle, single steam table, single fryer, 4' Prep fridge and a freezer.  We have a side awning that keeps the sun off the service window and I put a thick light blocking curtain on the outside of the front windshield.

The hood has two 12" side exhaust fans.  We leave both windows open, the back door open (has screen door) and the two top roof vents open.  We run a large house fan blowing down the center isle towards the back door as well and it makes a huge difference.

If I could do it over I would add another fan or maybe two to the exhaust hood.  It's all about air flow and drinking lots of water.  At least for us we can stand the heat if the air is moving.

fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re: Help keeping my truck cool 2014/08/25 14:41:40 (permalink)
    I have a mini split AC installed in my truck.  30k btu's.  You have to have the rv fans installed in the roof as that supplies some make up air for your hoods (as you've mentioned).  Otherwise whatever you do for ac will get sucked right out.  I highly recommend installing a mini split if your generator can handle it.  If I did it again I would get a two zone mini split so I could have two air handlers.  Mine works quite well and it gets warm but is still cooler than it is outside (South Florida).
    cue
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re: Help keeping my truck cool 2014/08/25 16:25:00 (permalink)
    It is not currently insulated. So would it be better to insulate? Also, fishscale, how many watts are you pulling for your mini split system? And do you run that off of a generator? Sounds like a 30k btu ac would pull some power
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re: Help keeping my truck cool 2014/08/27 02:39:31 (permalink)
    I have a 10kw diesel that powers my ac, three coolers, battery charger, lights, hood fans, etc. and I have some power to spare.  It pulls a good bit of power but we manage just fine and still have power to spare.  Still burn barely a gallon an hour with everything running.  Insulation is very important as is the roofing sealer/paint that is used on the inside of the roof (ceiling).  It helps block alot of the heat and direct sunlight that beats on the roof and makes a big difference
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1