Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7)

Author
SaraBClever
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2009/03/10 13:14:30 (permalink)

Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7)

Hi,

I'm sure I'm asking a silly question here, but I have not been able to figure it out.

I've got a TOMTOM and have not been able to figure out how to install the POIs.  When I try to do it via the TOMTOM menu, it brings up a screen that then tries to connect to the web--in other words there's no way to get POI lists saved to my hard drive.  I've tried all the drop down menus on that screen, and have even gone to the TOMTOM website and have not gotten anywhere.  I have also tried to simply drag and drop the RoadFood POI file into my TOMTOM (the F drive or whatever the temporary drive ist that appears when you connect it to the computer) while connected to the computer but that doesn't seem to work either.

Can anyone help me out? I've been an insider member for a while now and have not been able to enjoy it!  I am sure there's something really obvious I am missing so I would appreciate the help!

A secondary question:  How will I know it's properly installed?  Is there a separate menu for it on my tomtom?  Are there special icons?  I went to POI and then to restaurants the last time I tried to install it but as I mentioned I don't think it worked--I didn't get anything that was ont he road food website to show up on my tomtom and the fact that there were several references to dunkin donuts was not a good sign.  Will the road food sites show up separately so I know what they are or are they mixed in with the other tomtom restaurant POIs?  (I would of course like to see them separately if possible).

Thanks so much!

6 Replies Related Threads

Kreeger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7) 2009/06/16 14:29:58 (permalink)
    I've been searching all over the site for the solution. I'll let you know if I find anything.
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    Re:Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7) 2009/06/17 17:08:50 (permalink)
    For a ton of POI files and 'the' place to ask for help for any GPS unit, go to the link below. They are about POI files the same way we are about food here.

http://www.poi-factory.com
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7) 2009/06/23 10:36:54 (permalink)
    SaraBClever

Hi,

I'm sure I'm asking a silly question here, but I have not been able to figure it out.

I've got a TOMTOM and have not been able to figure out how to install the POIs.  When I try to do it via the TOMTOM menu, it brings up a screen that then tries to connect to the web--in other words there's no way to get POI lists saved to my hard drive.  I've tried all the drop down menus on that screen, and have even gone to the TOMTOM website and have not gotten anywhere.  I have also tried to simply drag and drop the RoadFood POI file into my TOMTOM (the F drive or whatever the temporary drive ist that appears when you connect it to the computer) while connected to the computer but that doesn't seem to work either.

Can anyone help me out? I've been an insider member for a while now and have not been able to enjoy it!  I am sure there's something really obvious I am missing so I would appreciate the help!

A secondary question:  How will I know it's properly installed?  Is there a separate menu for it on my tomtom?  Are there special icons?  I went to POI and then to restaurants the last time I tried to install it but as I mentioned I don't think it worked--I didn't get anything that was ont he road food website to show up on my tomtom and the fact that there were several references to dunkin donuts was not a good sign.  Will the road food sites show up separately so I know what they are or are they mixed in with the other tomtom restaurant POIs?  (I would of course like to see them separately if possible).

Thanks so much!

Bump to this question.  After I click the link to Tomtom POI, then what?  No matter where I put it, I can't get the device to see the file.  The Tomtom home software will only look at the internet, not to my hard drive, so how do I get the POI file onto the device???

kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 828
    Re:Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7) 2009/06/24 17:57:01 (permalink)
    See may earlier answer about POI-factory.com.  You may want to start with the TomTom faq on that site. Here is a link.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/6661
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    Re:Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7) 2009/06/24 20:58:33 (permalink)
    Finally got it.  The OV2 file has to be copied into a specific folder within the Tomtom Home directory calles USA and Canada.  Then you have to resync the device.  It's absolutely ridiculous that the Tomtom Home application doesn't do this automatically, and even more ridiculous how difficult it was to figure this out.  BUT, it's all loaded and hopefully it will work once I get on the road next week.  Thanks for the help.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2126
    Re:Help on getting POIs loaded onto your GPS (specifically, TOMTOM 7) 2009/06/24 22:52:21 (permalink)
    Pigiron, glad you figured it out.  I updated the TomTom file yesterday, so make sure you have the latest on your device.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1