Help with hood install

Author
birneyj
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/12/13 21:26:16 (permalink)

Help with hood install

I have a used captive air 8ft hood with makeup air. This thing is extremely heavy. My plans are to cut the front off (Makeup air portion) and install in trailer. My trailer is the curved roof not the flat.
Will the existing supports hold the hood or should I install additional supports?
Anyone have a how to for installation in trailer?

What is the best way to install the roof vent. I dont want to cause damage to the trailer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
TIA

2 Replies Related Threads

RichardFla
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Help with hood install 2014/01/10 22:48:50 (permalink)
    birneyj

I have a used captive air 8ft hood with makeup air. This thing is extremely heavy. My plans are to cut the front off (Makeup air portion) and install in trailer. My trailer is the curved roof not the flat.
    Will the existing supports hold the hood or should I install additional supports?
    Anyone have a how to for installation in trailer?

What is the best way to install the roof vent. I dont want to cause damage to the trailer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    TIA

A couple of screws in the back of the hood to the supports will hold it,once in place it really has more downward pressure.
    The screws will in essence be carrying the weight that gets carried from front to back then downward,you will still need some in the front top because of the bounce of the trailer .

With the curved roof,the gap in the front of the hood to the ceiling can be covered with a stainless 90, one side attached to the hood the other to the ceiling.

You are going to be kinda stuck with a used hood and existing vent opening,it maybe better to have the existing welded shut and cut a new one that lands in between the roof supports.If you can for ease of installation and support reasons try to avoid cutting the roof supports on a trailer. 

You can offset the vent either way from center but preferably towards the highest heat source. ie fryer.
    If you cut the fresh supply off of the front you still need at least a 3" curb verses an open hood across the top air takes the path of least resistance and you would lose your suction if it is open.
    Maybe a little help there.

Inkys
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:Help with hood install 2014/08/23 01:57:59 (permalink)
    You might have already passed this point ....
    I would build a square tube steel structure for a heavy hood Some of those things weigh 400+lbs. The curved roof trailers I've seen are not built to take much ceiling weight.
    I've visited some truck/trailer fabricators to see what they do and they take squre tube up both sides and across the the ceiling and then fill the curved space with recessed lighting and insulation. Makes a nice finished look, extremely strong, and not a lot of cost if you can weld.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1