Helpul advice PLEASE

Author
PhilD
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2013/08/18 17:45:57 (permalink)

Helpul advice PLEASE

Hey there people

I am and out of work Chef in the business for over 30 years mostly in the Italian Pizza/Restaurant business in N.Y.C . I recently moved to the Eastern Shore of Maryland and needless to say finding work out here is slim to none....... My thing is I want to start a mobile food cart unit in a rent free location that houses 23 different city and State agencies ( Mostly judges, lawyers an such )
I guess my question to all would be is the food cart business as good as I believe it to be ? I mean granted I know I will not get rich over night. But from all that I have read online were nothing but the "PRO'S" and limited cons ......... Mind you this is a rent free location and a fully enclosed cart that is self contained

Any and all help would be appreciated
                  Thanks
    Phil D  

4 Replies Related Threads

daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Helpul advice PLEASE 2013/08/18 21:46:04 (permalink)
    one:most of there pro's and money you here about is from people that sell food trucks.
    Two:Have you checked with the city,county,etc.to see if you can run a cart in the area.You can't just set up anywhere in most cities.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Helpul advice PLEASE 2013/08/19 02:39:25 (permalink)
    daddywoofdawg
    one:most of there pro's and money you here about is from people that sell food trucks.
    Two:Have you checked with the city,county,etc.to see if you can run a cart in the area.You can't just set up anywhere in most cities.

And after you do that and if the answer is yes, then read all the posts on here in the "Restaurant Professionals Forum" and the "Professional Hot Dog Vendors Forum". There's tons you can learn in there.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/08/19 02:43:02
    Sun Spot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Helpul advice PLEASE 2013/08/19 03:16:26 (permalink)
    I did a lot of reading, a lot of web searches.  But I also learned a lot talking to others in the business.  I'd go by other vendors with similar products in another town and, if they weren't busy, buy something and ask questions.  Many were willing to answer once they realized I was not going to be competing with them.  If they got busy or if they stopped being helpful, I'd thank them, tip them and wander on.
    pnwchef
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2454
    Re:Helpul advice PLEASE 2013/08/19 19:23:45 (permalink)
    Hey Chef, welcome to Roadfood. Take a look around your new area and see how receptive people are to food trucks/carts. If it looks good go for it,if you have good food people will find you. I would stick with what you know, being from NYC you know what good pizza and Italian food should be. Take a look at some of the trucks/carts/pods in Portland, Or you may get some ideas from a wide open mobile food crazy city. I have seen a few wood burning pizza oven set-ups..................maybe some Meatball grinders and Sausage and peppers.............Calzone and New York Pizza................the Best Chef..........pnwc
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1