Here's my problem...

Author
Sheepish
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2003/09/23 10:12:42 (permalink)

Here's my problem...

Ok, we bought our house in May and lo and behold, our stove does not work. It's expensive to get a new one and since then, I've been stuck using a crock pot ***shudder*** or an electric skillet, and toasting in a toaster over that our neighbor gave me...

Does anyone have any skillet or crock pot recipes that actually taste like food??? I would KILL for even a nasty casserole, but with no over, I'm stuck. Thanks in advance! We're getting sick of this crock pot mash we always seem to eat. YUCK!

17 Replies Related Threads

Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/23 10:19:03 (permalink)
    Here is my favorite crock pot recipe:

Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with a package of Lipton onion soup mix with a little worchestershire and spread it on top of a roast and cook all day in the crock pot. It makes a deliciously tender roast and a wonderful gravy. You can thicken up the gravy if desired by stirring in some flour water and cooking a while.

Another idea is to cook chicken breasts with taco seasonings and then shred the chicken and make soft chicken tacos with your favorite toppings such as tomatoes, lettuce, pico, avacado, and sour cream.

Good luck!
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/23 10:26:26 (permalink)
    Here's a couple you can make in your skillet:

CHICKEN IN HONEYED TOMATOES

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Salt and pepper to taste
    3 Tbsp. olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1/ 2 cup dry white wine
    6 Tbsp. honey
    1/ 2 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
    1/ 2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
    3/ 4 cup pitted black olives, halved
    1 Tbsp. chopped parsley

Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook chicken about 5 minutes per side. Remove and keep warm. In same skillet, cook onion and garlic until soft. Stir in tomatoes, wine, honey, thyme and tarragon. Simmer, uncovered, until thickened. Return chicken to sauce. Add olives. Cover and cook another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.

SUMMER SKILLET SUPPER

1 (1 lb.) fully-cooked ham slice
    2 large tomatoes
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 medium size green pepper
    1 medium size onion
    1 medium size yellow squash (about 1/ 2 lb.)
    2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb. total)
    3 Tbs. olive oil
    1/ 2 cup chicken broth or 1 envelope instant chicken broth mixed with 1/ 2 cup water
    2 tsp.fresh chopped basil or 1/ 2 tsp. dried basil
    1/ 2 tsp salt, or to taste
    1/8 tsp. pepper

Cut ham into 1/ 4 inch strips, about 1-1/ 2 inches long. Cut each tomato into 8 wedges; cut pepper into 1/ 2 inch wide strips and onion into thin lengthwise slivers. Cut squashes into 1/ 4 inch wide slices, halving lengthwise if larger than 1 inch in diameter.

In wok or large skillet over medium high heat, cook ham and all vegetables, except tomatoes, in hot oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes; stir and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato wedges and continue cooking until tomatoes are heated through.
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/23 10:51:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Here is my favorite crock pot recipe:

Mix a can of cream of mushroom soup with a package of Lipton onion soup mix with a little worchestershire and spread it on top of a roast and cook all day in the crock pot. It makes a deliciously tender roast and a wonderful gravy. You can thicken up the gravy if desired by stirring in some flour water and cooking a while.

Beef or pork? Either way I'd like to try this! Nancy
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/23 11:04:59 (permalink)
    Nancy, I have only made it using beef, but I suppose pork would be good too!

Sometimes I add extra mushrooms to the gravy.
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/23 11:14:24 (permalink)
    Thanks, Lone Star, sounds great! Yes, I thought it was probably beef you were speaking of but also feel that pork would work too. What cut of beef do you use?
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/23 12:07:24 (permalink)
    More chicken... Put oil, onions and garlic in your skillet, simmer for
    1 - fryer chicken cut up about 5 miuntes. Add bell pepper simmer for 5 more.
    2 cloves garlic, minced Remove with slotted spoon to a bowl. Brown chicken in
    1 onion quartered oil. Place chicken in crockpot, add all other
    1 bell pepper, cut into strips ingredients and mix together gently. Forget about it on
    1/4 olive oil low for 8 - 10 hrs. High, 5 - 7.
    1 large can(28 oz) diced tomatoes
    1 large can(28 oz) tomato sauce
    1/4 c water
    1t sugar
    1 T italian seasoning
    2 bay leaves
    salt and pepper to taste
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/23 12:08:37 (permalink)
    Geez!!!!! Have I learned a leasson here! So sorry!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/24 06:25:24 (permalink)
    You can stop off at a Chinese place and pick up a carton of cooked rice. Then you can use your skillet to make Arroz con Pollo, Fried rice or Jambalaya.

Chilis and stews are great in crock pots if you brown the meat in the skillet first. Many crock pot recipes are bad because the meat isn't browned first. You can use the SEARCH function in the upper right side of the screen for chili, stew, jambalaya, etc; we've posted most of these recipes previously. Here's one of my mom's crock pot favorites (don't let the orange juice deter you. It's inperceptable and adds depth and balance):

Dee's Italian Sausage and Beans

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

2 pounds sweet Italian sausage

2 pounds hot Italian sausage

2 onions, chopped

2 bell peppers (green or red), chopped

6 cloves garlic, minced

1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce

1 (14-ounce) can chopped tomatoes

3 cups orange juice

1-2 Tsp salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

2 (15-ounce) cans garbanzo beans

3-4 (24-ounce) cans red kidney beans

Cut sausage into 1-inch pieces. Brown in oil in skillet.

Add onion, bell peppers and garlic. Saute until onion is transluscent.

Drain canned beans. Pour beans, sausage and vegetables, and remaining ingredients into crock pot. Stir.

Simmer at least 30 minutes, the longer the better.

(This makes alot...we have a big family, so you may want to halve it. Add water if neccesary as it cooks. It would also be good served over rice from a Chinese fast-food place).
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/24 09:06:58 (permalink)
    What a variety of tasty sounding recipes. I am dusting off my slow cooker tonight.
    Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/24 10:18:20 (permalink)
    Here is one of my favs. It is a crock pot beef stroganoff.

1 lb stew meat
    2 tbs flour
    2 tsp dry mustard
    1 tbs salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 med onion sliced
    8 oz fresh mushrooms (canned will work also)
    16 oz beef broth
    1/2 cup red wine (optional)
    1 cup sour cream
    1 8 oz package medium egg noodles

In the crock pot, place stew meat and dust with flour, mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat. Add onion, mushrooms. Stir to combine. Add beef broth and wine. Stir again. Cover and set high for four hours. (low for 6 hours) Add egg noodles. Cover and cook on high for addtional hour. Stir in sour cream and serve. Great with a fresh salad.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/24 13:52:10 (permalink)
    The newest issue of Cooking Light magazine (just got it yesterday) has a section of recipes for the slow cooker.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/24 17:38:50 (permalink)
    Thinking here of all the ways I've used my electric skillets over the years. Very handy to do stir frying in,fried chicken, chicken fried steaks, fried fish, french fries etc. Also have done pot roasts, pork roasts, hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks , meat and noodles, potatoes etc in skillets. I even.....(imagine this) have a delectable peanut butter fudge recipe that can only be done with true authenticity in an electric skillet.

Skillet Peanut Butter Fudge
    6 TBLSP Butter or Margarine
    4 cups White sugar
    2 cups evaporated milk
    3 cups chunky peanut butter
    2 cups miniature marshmellows
    2 teaspoons vanilla

Turn skillet on to 350......Add butter, sugar and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let boil 5 minutes still stirring constantly. Turn heat off and add rest of ingredients and stir until completely blended. Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 pan and let set.......Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumy

Will think upon some crockpot stuff next.(psssssssssssst by the way, don't feel bad, my bottom element on my stove is awol too and it's six weeks until the replacement gets here)
    Sheepish
    Junior Burger
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/09/24 18:38:20 (permalink)
    Wow, thank you all so much for your ideas and recipes! I have truly been inspired to keep on keepin' on and not grumble about not having an oven. I've been in a rut lately so I needed this kick in the pants. ;) Thanks so much and that peanut butter fudge recipe will be working overtime this weekend! LOL! It sounds WONDERFUL and now I just HAVE to have some! YUM is right!

Thanks again everyone!
    jdg68
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/10/05 12:12:04 (permalink)
    Sheepish, not about recipes but: In my area Sears has a "scratch and dent" warehouse where they sell appliances at a great discount. For instance I bought a washer for half-price due to some minor scratches on the front (which I didn't see for about a year).
    So you might ask if they have such a place in your area when the time comes.
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/10/05 21:13:05 (permalink)
    I agree with jdg68, do whatever you have to and get a new stove! Man cannot live by crockpot alone!
    Sheepish
    Junior Burger
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/10/05 21:22:56 (permalink)
    Well, luckily, we now have enough to buy a stove
    AND a dishwasher! IMAGINE THAT! LOL So, thank you for all of your recipes and advice! I'm saving them all just in case I ever actually want to make a crock pot meal again! I may be 50 when it happens though... LOL
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Here's my problem... 2003/10/05 22:23:11 (permalink)
    My stove WORKS, but I love my electric skillet and use it almost every day. Besides frying, it's great for braised dishes. Here's a favorite of mine:

PORK CHOPS SMOTHERED IN RED WINE GRAVY

Put some flour (1/2 cup or so) in a plastic bag with some salt and pepper (this is one of those some o' this, some o' that recipes, so read no further if you need more precision.) Coat some (4, say) nice thick pork chops thinly in mustard (use Dijon if you must, but yellow hot dog mustard works just fine) and dredge them in the flour mixture. Brown them in a skillet in a little butter and vegetable oil. Take out the pork chops and saute some thinly sliced onion(a good sized one)in the same skillet until nice and soft and brown at the edges. Put the pork chops back in on top of the onions, and pour in red wine to just barely come up to the tops of the chops. Sprinkle in a bit of dried thyme, or throw in a branch of the fresh stuff. Braise the chops over low heat for at least an hour (or two), until they are falling off the bone; and don't taste-them until they've braised awhile -- they don't taste as good at first, but as they mellow - wow. You can use a bit more of the dredging flour to thicken the gravy if you want it so (mix it with a little cold water or some more wine first). Serve with mashed potatoes.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1