Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it?

Author
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 230
2014/03/30 07:55:12 (permalink)

Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it?

For a short while I rented out my spare bedroom to an old friend while he got back on his feet.  He moved out a few weeks ago and left me an assortment of... things.  He loved cooking various Asian foods but I never paid too much attention.  Here's what he left:

Pimentos and olives, some kind of mustard, soybean paste, "bruiseised garlic sauce", ground peanut soybean paste, horseradish, soy sauce, Huy Fong chili garlic, wasabi mayo. The soy sauce and chili garlic found easy application, but the rest I've no idea what to do with!

11 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4117
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/03/30 09:35:23 (permalink)
    Before you do anything, check the expiration dates!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3515
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/03/30 12:03:50 (permalink)
    Very true, MJ!

Wasabi mayonnaise is excellent on a wide variety of sandwiches, or as a topping for fish (basically anywhere you would use regular mayo, but don't mind something with a LOT more kick). Taste test the mustard to see how hot it is, but that can be used in a lot of things as well (same deal as the mayo).  Pimientos and olives...just eat 'em. I go through a jar that size about every two weeks, as we love olives and I use them in a lot of stuff (always use olives in place of capers as well). Horseradish is also good on a lot of things, from roast beef to fish (often mixed with plain mayonnaise or sour cream to make a sauce).

I've never used soybean paste, but I've seen a bunch of recipes that call for it. Not remotely familiar with "bruiseised garlic sauce" (funny, the first several results in a Google search are from you asking this same question various places ), but from what I see I suspect it's a lot like the Thai chili garlic sauce (which I use, and that same brand, a LOT), just a slightly different variety.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/03/30 21:15:34 (permalink)
    That mustard is just begging for some hot dogs.

And the olives, martinis.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/03/31 03:34:25 (permalink)
    As Andrew Zimmern says, "If it looks good, eat it!"
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1315
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/03/31 15:16:38 (permalink)
    Note: Pretty much anything sold as "wasabi" in the US is horseradish dyed green.

Bart
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/03/31 20:23:49 (permalink)
    [quot =bartl]
    Note: Pretty much anything sold as "wasabi" in the US is horseradish dyed green.
    Bart

You are correct sir!
    True Wasabi is almost impossible to find outside of Japan!
    Because the wasabi plant is so hard to grow, real wasabi is very rare and expensive. Most wasabi is a green paste that is really made from horseradish, mustard and food coloring. Real wasabi is white, not green.
    RKB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/04/02 11:57:44 (permalink)
    I love that Huy Fong chili garlic. Similar to sriracha but much-better tasting IMO.
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/04/02 15:07:05 (permalink)
    Tamari is good - use it as a substitute for soy sauce, it's made from soybeans, but a little thicker, richer tasting than soy sauce.  I remember years ago one of the health food stores selling tamari basted roasted nuts - you could google some recipes and make your own.  Just check the saltiness of it when cooking.

Should sirachi be refrigerated? Mine is.
    bartl
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/04/05 11:33:22 (permalink)
    BelleReve Tamari is good - use it as a substitute for soy sauce, it's made from soybeans, but a little thicker, richer tasting than soy sauce.  I remember years ago one of the health food stores selling tamari basted roasted nuts - you could google some recipes and make your own.  Just check the saltiness of it when cooking.

In the food recall thread (alas, no longer kept up to date as the government has made it a lot harder to read their list of recalls), there was a product that was recalled due to undeclared tamari, which is not good for those who had soy allergies. And I pointed out how unfortunate it would be if people just kept eating it like there's no tamari.

Bart
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/04/05 13:30:37 (permalink)
    bartl - soy you saying tamari's not a good thing to eat?
    bartl
    Re:Here's what my former roommate left me. What do I do with it? 2014/04/10 22:02:21 (permalink)
    BelleReve
    bartl - soy you saying tamari's not a good thing to eat?

Maybe for the cannibal who edamame.

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1