Hey Joe, I went to the Ooh Ooh Bird!

Author
ken8038
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1601
2009/08/27 09:27:39 (permalink)

Hey Joe, I went to the Ooh Ooh Bird!

....Tiny says Hi!

Sorry that I didn't make any plans in advance for this, but it was a spur of the moment decision. I had spent a couple of days near Binghamton NY visiting a work friend of mine who reitred a couple of years ago to a small farm in that area. It was nice, some beers and listening to old stupid rock and roll from the 50's and 60's, lots of reminiscing, and dinner at Sharkey's in Binghamton and lunch at Tony's Hots in Johnson City.

Anyway, I left Binghamton yesterday at about 3PM and the plan was to eat a quick early dinner in Scranton because I had to be home by 7PM, but somewhere heading south along I-81 I said to myself, "Hey, Why not the Ooh Ooh Bird?".  MY GPS said it was about 1/2 hour out of the way so I cleared the late arrivval home with my wife via cell and off I went.

I'm glad I did. I got there around 5PM and was the only customer, although a few people came along while I was there. Since it was not busy I got to talking to Tiny the owner and dropped your name as the reason I knew about the place. I told him I was Ken from Roadfood, but I don't think he understood the Roadfood part, I think he decided I was in the window business. He gave me a 2nd beer on the house (Stegmaier of course, glad to see it on tap!) while I was waiting for the food because I was a friend of yours, so thanks!  By the time the food was getting ready it was already close to 6PM so I asked for the food to go. I figured after two beers I'd need to stop in about 1/2 hour on the road (I was right) so I had myself a nice little picnic at a rest area.  

I ordered the garlic wings and a chicken cheese steak. While the wings were real good, the chicken cheesesteak was outstanding! Just the right balance of everything-- meat, cheese, peppers, mushroom, and on a good roll. It was so good that I'm craving another one as I type this the next day --- I should have bought two!

So thanks for the tip on the Ooh Ooh Bird, I love old school local places and this was one of the best.

For the benefit of everyone else, here's your original writeup on this, thanks again:

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6185/ooh-ooh-bird-cafe

PS: On the way up I wanted to stop at Yankee lunch in Scranton, but appears to be closed, I went to Coney Island instead.

4 Replies Related Threads

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Hey Joe, I went to the Ooh Ooh Bird! 2009/08/27 11:09:32 (permalink)
    The most amazing thing about your post is that you found the Ooh Ooh Bird on your GPS...

Pretty cool little bar, isn't it?
    ken8038
    Re:Hey Joe, I went to the Ooh Ooh Bird! 2009/08/27 11:42:30 (permalink)
    <<The most amazing thing about your post is that you found the Ooh Ooh Bird on your GPS... >>

I should clarify, I keep a database on my PDA of all places I eventually want to get to, so I had the address with me. It wasn't like it showed up as a preprogrammed Point of Interest on the GPS.

Yes, a real cool place.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Hey Joe, I went to the Ooh Ooh Bird! 2009/08/27 12:27:04 (permalink)
    Hey Ken,

Glad to hear you enjoyed The OOB.  Because of the light breading on the wings, they do not travel well.  They are best right out of the fryer, while the flames are still dancing on them

Sorry we couldn't meet-up, but I'm happy I at least got you a cold one  Not too many places left with Steg on tap.

Which Coney Island did you hit?

Joe
    ken8038
    Re:Hey Joe, I went to the Ooh Ooh Bird! 2009/08/27 16:13:21 (permalink)
    <<Which Coney Island did you hit?

The one on Lackawanna. I had been to the one by the RR Overpass several years ago when we took my son to Steamtown, so I figured I'd try the other one. It was too long ago to be able to compare the hot dogs, but I liked the one under the overpass better for it's location and it's ancient booths etc.

The wngs didn't appear to have suffered at all. It was only 1/2 hour later and I kept them in an insulated travel bag that always happens to be in my trunk for just such an occasion.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1