High Plains Drifters

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:High Plains Drifters 2012/08/22 23:50:52 (permalink)
Another great trip report, Cliff, one of the best ever. It certainly puts my past efforts to shame. Back in the early '70s, in what turned out to be my last big roadtrip with my family before going out on my own, we drove from Chicago to Yellowstone National Park, taking a mostly interstate route across southern Montana. After several days of enjoying the wonders of Yellowstone, we headed home on a two lane highway across northern Wyoming and So. Dakota ( my idea; my dad was a interstate highway addict who thought getting there in a hurry was all that mattered. ) I talked him into making a detour up to Devil's Tower based just on one photo that I had seen in an encyclopedia, and this was years before Spielberg would make the tower a "movie star". Dad had his doubts about my glowing recommendation, but he quickly changed his mind when we saw Devil's Tower looming in the distance. The trip home also took us to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands, and I'm really sorry that we didn't do more picture-taking at all these eye-popping sites. I'd love to visit them all again and I'm hoping to make this roadtrip in the not-too-distant future.  
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re:High Plains Drifters 2012/08/23 11:37:45 (permalink)
CB-
Glad that this report stirred some fond memories from family vacations.  No doubt that your dad was happy to follow your advice about Devil's Tower.  Hopefully you will be able to make a trip on your own out there in the near future.  There isn't really all that much in the way of Roadfood, but the sights truly are spectacular!

Oh, and welcome back! 
Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1