The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

High's Ice Cream in Virginia

bravehearteire

• Total Posts: 17
High's Ice Cream in Virginia Thu, 01/22/04 1:20 AM (permalink)
Does anyone remember High's Ice Cream in Virginia? They were popular in the 60's and 70's. About 10 years ago they sold their ice cream in the Grocery Stores, and had the best Lemon Custard. Are they still around anywhere?

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: High's Ice Cream in Virginia Thu, 01/22/04 2:10 AM (permalink)
    I'm guessing High's was sold throughout the mid-atlantic area. I always thought of their ice cream on the same level with supermarket house brand. In Baltimore there are several convenience stores carrying the High's name, and selling both freezer pack and hand scooped product, but the one nearest to me closed a few months ago. If I wanted ice cream it would never occur to me to go to High's.

bravehearteire

• Total Posts: 17
      RE: High's Ice Cream in Virginia Thu, 01/22/04 2:49 AM (permalink)
      Originally they were an ice cream shop, but places like Baskin Robbins put them out of business. I guess they changed to doing retail for supermarkets. Last time I had the Lemon Custard it was still just as good. Good burgandy cherry too.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: High's Ice Cream in Virginia Thu, 01/22/04 7:40 AM (permalink)
        Indeed, bravehearteire, Highs was THE place for ice cream at one time in at least the Northern Virginia area. In a land of Farrell's (Tysons), Giffords (DC) and the general store place (name?) behind Colvin Run Mill (Great Falls), Highs at the time was a venue for quality, hand-packed ice cream. This 1960s - 70s run however seems to be no more as I've not seen a Highs in Northern Virginia for years. I do, however, see a few in Maryland but do not distinguish the current stores from the ubiquitous Circle K, 7-11, 6-12, Dairy Farm or Butters stores also populating the landscape.

By the way, welcome to the boards!

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
          RE: High's Ice Cream in Virginia Thu, 01/22/04 8:36 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by signman

I'm guessing High's was sold throughout the mid-atlantic area. I always thought of their ice cream on the same level with supermarket house brand. In Baltimore there are several convenience stores carrying the High's name, and selling both freezer pack and hand scooped product, but the one nearest to me closed a few months ago. If I wanted ice cream it would never occur to me to go to High's.

Wait until I tell my daughter in law. She loves High's ice cream and prefers it to any of the brands that you buy in the supermarket. We have two within five miles of us and there is always some High's ice cream in our freezer.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
            RE: High's Ice Cream in Virginia Sun, 02/29/04 12:24 PM (permalink)
            We had a High's in Orange VA about 15 years ago. It's a used car dealership now, and I have nowhere to get decent ice cream in my crazy old hometown.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com