Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/01 16:12:42 (permalink)
Hey gang, I know this will sound like I'm defending Randy Garbin, but here goes. As I have come to believe, this site welcomes comments from anyone who has something to add. It welcomes all points of view and all opinions. It does not welcome those who post false and malicious comments/critiques/reviews. I, for one, welcome Randy's comments as he is stating his point of view and is not, I believe, out to damage anyone's credibilty. Although I don't agree with all of his points, he has the freedom to express them.
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/01 18:59:15 (permalink)
Why do you guys do this to me? I always get into trouble when there are liquid bodily fluid release competitions on this site.

As a tax and spend liberal Republican, with Jeffersonion and Keyneisan leaning, I am a firm believer that I can do or say anything just as long as my punch stops just in front of your nose. And that I tell you that it will stop just infront of your nose, otherwise it would be an assault, as if you are in fear that I will hit you, and believe that I will hit you, then there is the assault. If I tell you in advance and don't hit you then I am on pretty solid grounds. However if I lie to you and hit you, well then we have a battery, and I should go to the pokey.

Regardless, since this site has moved beyond some expectations, then a bit of criticism should be expected, and even encouraged, and acceptted.

I don't know the Stern's, the Rushmore's or Mr Garbin, however if someone wants to write something and puts it out there then they have that right. Otherwise we are just pawns pandering to the masses.

Oh yeah, I am also a firm believer in free speech.

Thanks again YUMBO and Mr. MAYOR
ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/01 21:03:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Texicana

Good detective work Cheezwit.

Diner food seems to be touch and go. I've eaten at a really good one in Ellicott City MD,

That wouldn't be The Forest Diner would it? I had a really great bacon cheesburger there just the other week, They have built a new fangled one next door to it & I just can't get past all the shiney chrome to give it a try!!
Texicana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/01 21:19:57 (permalink)
No, it was the Double T Diner, huge shiny classic styled diner right on the main strip. I had a good breakfast there one morning on my own, and next day dragged the husband back there for lunch. I highly recommend the chicken noodle soup, fried chicken, and any of the wonderful greek pastries. Ocdreamer, I can't wait to visit Maryland again, blue crab heaven!
ocdreamr
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/01 22:21:34 (permalink)
quote:

No, it was the Double T Diner, huge shiny classic styled diner right on the main strip. I had a good breakfast there one morning on my own, and next day dragged the husband back there for lunch. I highly recommend the chicken noodle soup, fried chicken, and any of the wonderful greek pastries. Ocdreamer, I can't wait to visit Maryland again, blue crab heaven!

Yeah that's the New fangled one. Actually It started as another Diner there, that went under, then the Double T took it over. The Double T is becoming a local chain. The original is a bit further in Rt 40 in Baltimore, been there since I was a kid. Not surprised with the Greek pastries they are owned by Greeks.

Might just have to get myself some of those crabs this weekend.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/01 22:35:49 (permalink)
Ocdreamr I know this is getting off the topic, but we visited the Crab Shanty, Senor Toucan's and the Tiber River Grille as well, and I can't say we had a bad meal in any of those places. Was there with the husband for some convention dealing with his job and stayed at some ritzy resort and golf club. Loved it
ocdreamr
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/01 23:31:37 (permalink)
Know right were you were, Turf Valley. Senor Toucon's is on rt40, just as you enter Ellicott City is La Palapa, it's pretty good too. I live just across the river from Ellicott City in Catonsville. Haven't been to Tiber River yet but been hearing good things, going to have to give it a try.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/02 05:57:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCJPO

Why do you guys do this to me? I always get into trouble when there are liquid bodily fluid release competitions on this site.

As a tax and spend liberal Republican, with Jeffersonion and Keyneisan leaning, I am a firm believer that I can do or say anything just as long as my punch stops just in front of your nose. And that I tell you that it will stop just infront of your nose, otherwise it would be an assault, as if you are in fear that I will hit you, and believe that I will hit you, then there is the assault. If I tell you in advance and don't hit you then I am on pretty solid grounds. However if I lie to you and hit you, well then we have a battery, and I should go to the pokey.

Regardless, since this site has moved beyond some expectations, then a bit of criticism should be expected, and even encouraged, and acceptted.

I don't know the Stern's, the Rushmore's or Mr Garbin, however if someone wants to write something and puts it out there then they have that right. Otherwise we are just pawns pandering to the masses.

Oh yeah, I am also a firm believer in free speech.

Thanks again YUMBO and Mr. MAYOR

No one is saying that Ex-roadsider doesn't have a right to express his opinion. But we also have the right to argue with that opinion, under the rights of free speech. No one deleted his post, did they?

PS. If your punch stops just short of the nose, where does the "liquid bodily fluid release" stop? I hope not on one's shoes.

- Elise, attempting to reply in the most repectful and non-personal way possible
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/02 13:01:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT
PS. If your punch stops just short of the nose, where does the "liquid bodily fluid release" stop? I hope not on one's shoes.

All I can think of is the punchbowl at the upcoming nuptials. Eww, eww, eww.

Eric, Who Thinks It's INCREDIBLY Poor Form For "Competitors" To Post Under Even A Slightly Concealed ID On Other Organization's Message Board
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 128
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/02 15:49:53 (permalink)
We all need to relax and eat our garbage plates.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/02 16:50:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

quote:

All I can think of is the punchbowl at the upcoming nuptials. Eww, eww, eww.

Eric, Who Thinks It's INCREDIBLY Poor Form For "Competitors" To Post Under Even A Slightly Concealed ID On Other Organization's Message Board

Punchbowl? Who drinks punch? We'll be having pitchers of Abita Amber!
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/03 14:51:18 (permalink)
And here I am, thinking you're a good girl...everyone knows good southern weddings have punch, and it matches the bridesmaid dresses for color.

http://www.slaghuis.net/yummies/punch.html , would, however, be my punch suggestion. Authentically Southern, albeit regionally impaired, and has a kick like you won't believe. This is not a punch to be trifled with.

Besides, it's good form down South to ask friends and relations to pour punch and cut cake (it's not something one hires out - that would be *TACKY*).

Eric, Offerring To Pour Punch

Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/03 15:00:20 (permalink)
there's a sherbet punch popular here in the south, with orange sherbet, some Sprite, and some sort of fruit juice (pineapple or orange, not sure). Also , I was a bridesmaid at one last year where we girls were in charge of cutting the cake, just like VibrationGuy mentioned.
chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/03 16:06:35 (permalink)
quote:

Ocdreamr I know this is getting off the topic, but we visited the Crab Shanty, Senor Toucan's and the Tiber River Grille as well, and I can't say we had a bad meal in any of those places. Was there with the husband for some convention dealing with his job and stayed at some ritzy resort and golf club. Loved it

We live just 5 miles from Turf Valley Golf Resort........glad that you did not spend any money to eat there as the service can be terrific one day and horrid the next. We have a social membership there and always keep our fingers crossed when we eat there. We always enjoy The Crab Shanty and Senor Toucan's has great food but cool service.
Texicana
Cheeseburger
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/03 16:20:04 (permalink)
Chezkatie, I had pupusas for the first time at Senor Toucans and good really good service because I conversed in spanish with the waiter. I almost walked off with a painting of a woman making tortillas that was on the wall. Got to meet the owner too.

Yes, we debated eating at one of the Turf Valley restaurants, but decided to strike out around the town. Lovely city, btw.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/03 20:07:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

And here I am, thinking you're a good girl...everyone knows good southern weddings have punch, and it matches the bridesmaid dresses for color.

http://www.slaghuis.net/yummies/punch.html , would, however, be my punch suggestion. Authentically Southern, albeit regionally impaired, and has a kick like you won't believe. This is not a punch to be trifled with.

Besides, it's good form down South to ask friends and relations to pour punch and cut cake (it's not something one hires out - that would be *TACKY*).

Eric, Offerring To Pour Punch

That punch looks like it better taste as good on the way up as the way down. My bridesmaids will be wearing black, which would make for a pretty unappetizing punch. Would you like to pour the beer?
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/03 23:31:57 (permalink)
Dominican nuns for bridsmaids. Wow, that's class!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/04 03:05:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Wimples and all! Check out photo NL-12 for a group shot of us at our last fete! That's Sister Carmelita on the left. She's a hoot!

http://gothicgarments.atlhost.net/menu3/index2.html

(What do I have to lose? I'm already doomed for wearing short skirts)
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/04 20:29:33 (permalink)
Well, you wouldn't have to dye the punch. I've always thought that was a bit much. I'm not a big fan of sherbet-and-something, as I like a punch with some octane...and after a couple of cups of said punch, nobody will remember what the bridesmaid dresses looked like; they'll either be blotto themselves, or the bridesmaids will have disrobed.

Eric
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/10 08:12:08 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Wimples and all! Check out photo NL-12 for a group shot of us at our last fete! That's Sister Carmelita on the left. She's a hoot!

No, no Elise. According to my "second boss" in the religious education program where I teach at my parish, Sr. Vincent, you're only doomed if you chew gum while receiving the Eucharist.....
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15304
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/10 08:49:24 (permalink)
Please accept this offer -not as a criticism of plans already afoot- but rather as a reminder of the central theme of the whole roadtrip experience. I believe we need to include our modes of travel in the experience....more than just to toot along in a parade after the nuptials are completed. When Janet and I made the big leap into our wedded bliss we used the wedding chapel in Las Vegas that had the drive-up window. In 1995 they charged $30 for a drive-up wedding...with a $5 discount for motorcyclists. We used one of the interior chapels, rather than the drive-up, but did think about it a bit before deciding.
The drive-thru would not be the best idea for this group...the opposition to "Fast-Food" images seems to run strong here. SO How about using a Drive-In theatre.. we could all sit comfortably, with trips to the snack bar for cake and 'punch', honking our opposition at the "Speak Now or forever hold your peace" time, and observe the proceedings while listening to the little speaker attached to our car window.
Just a suggestion.
chilidawgguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/10 10:32:48 (permalink)
Though I'm brand new to the site, I've been a fan of the Stern's for nearly 20 years. Their book Roadfood Good Food indirectly influenced a major career decision. I don't feel I've been here long enough to comment on the value of Randy Garbin's comments, but I do support his right to express them. And by the way, as someone who grew up in the South in the fifties eating mayonnaise and Merita bread sandwiches, everyone knows that Dukes is the absolute best mayonnaise. Y'all carry on now, ya hear?
BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/10 11:21:57 (permalink)
I grew up in the South in the 50's and remember that Merita bread sponsored Roy Rogers. All the old grocery stores had screen doors with a Merita bread logo across the center. Blue Plate Mayonaise, though.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18659
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/10 15:03:20 (permalink)
I recently read that the old Milford Diner on New Haven Avenue in Milford was closing. The same family opened that diner in 1934 and the latest family members to run it have decided to retire. The first visit I can remember to that diner was when I was four or five years old.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4077
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/10 17:19:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

SO How about using a Drive-In theatre.. we could all sit comfortably, with trips to the snack bar for cake and 'punch', honking our opposition at the "Speak Now or forever hold your peace" time, and observe the proceedings while listening to the little speaker attached to our car window.
Just a suggestion.

One of the most enjoyable weddings-----if definitely not the most conservative----I ever went to was held on the beach in Ventura Harbor. After the ceremony, we all walked across the road from the beach to a friend's 54-foot sailboat. As we proceeded to start the reception, the boat left the dock----and we pulled up to our place a half hour later. The actual reception wound up at one off the turns of the Offshore Powerboat Racing Association's Nationals. Nothing like toasting the bride and groom as 100-plus mph speedboats roared past!
Vince Macek
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 863
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/12 21:20:46 (permalink)
Originally posted by Route 11

Dixie Trucker's Home rocks! I can't wait to hit it on my Route 66 trip.

Well, don't forget to get some Funk's Grove maple syrup while you're there. It's a must on the way.

Also worth getting to is the Ariston Cafe in Litchfield. Possibly the classiest highway restaurant in the Midwest.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/12 21:37:45 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:

quote:

No, no Elise. According to my "second boss" in the religious education program where I teach at my parish, Sr. Vincent, you're only doomed if you chew gum while receiving the Eucharist.....

Ugh. I always hated how the eucharist stuck to the roof of my mouth. Adding gum seems like it would make it impossible to ever open your mouth again!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/12 21:41:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Please accept this offer -not as a criticism of plans already afoot- but rather as a reminder of the central theme of the whole roadtrip experience. I believe we need to include our modes of travel in the experience....more than just to toot along in a parade after the nuptials are completed. When Janet and I made the big leap into our wedded bliss we used the wedding chapel in Las Vegas that had the drive-up window. In 1995 they charged $30 for a drive-up wedding...with a $5 discount for motorcyclists. We used one of the interior chapels, rather than the drive-up, but did think about it a bit before deciding.
The drive-thru would not be the best idea for this group...the opposition to "Fast-Food" images seems to run strong here. SO How about using a Drive-In theatre.. we could all sit comfortably, with trips to the snack bar for cake and 'punch', honking our opposition at the "Speak Now or forever hold your peace" time, and observe the proceedings while listening to the little speaker attached to our car window.
Just a suggestion.

"Oh, let's all go to the lobby
Let's all go to the lobby
Let's all go to the lobby
To get ourselves marr-ied"
(cartoon hot dog jumps in bun)

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18659
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2003/08/13 12:12:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I recently read that the old Milford Diner on New Haven Avenue in Milford was closing. The same family opened that diner in 1934 and the latest family members to run it have decided to retire. The first visit I can remember to that diner was when I was four or five years old.

And now the good news from the New haven Register:

MILFORD — Milford Diner has a new lease on life. Literally.

Angel Sekelski, whose grandfather, Lou Mema, has owned the school bus-size diner since 1971, announced Tuesday that Waterbury developer John W. Lombard has purchased the diner, agreed to relocate it to Melba Street and allow the family to run it.

"This is the best thing in the world; we couldn’t ask for anything better," Sekelski said. "This is like a miracle on New Haven Avenue."

The diner likely would have closed its doors Friday if Lombard’s son, John, 12, had not asked his father to purchase it after seeing people crying there.

Two weeks ago, Sekelski said the family had decided to sell the diner to Smith-Craft Real Estate Corp., the owner of the property, for $50,000. The family had decided to retire from the business.

Sekelski said Tuesday that Smith-Craft withdrew its offer. Company Co-President Phil Craft disagreed, saying Lombard’s of-fer prompted the Sekelskis to withdraw their offer to sell to Smith-Craft.

Either way, Lombard, a frequent patron of the diner for 20 years who has a summer home in Milford, said he would buy it.

Lombard said people crying at the diner over the weekend tipped him off that the family didn’t want to sell.

Lombard said, "My son Johnny, who’s 12, said, ‘Dad is there something we can do to help these people?’ I thought about it and decided to buy it."

Lombard said he’s paying more than $50,000 for the diner.

Sekelski said the family never wanted to sell to Smith-Craft, but needed money to help Mema, who has Alzheimer’s disease and was concerned the rent would be raised again.

"We want them to stay in town," Craft said. "We wanted to help them. We wish them the best and never wanted them to leave."

Lombard said he owns a strip mall on Melba Street and plans to relocate the diner there. He said he would pour a new foundation, add a new kitchen and bathroom, then move the diner, hopefully by Sept. 30. He said city officials told him the land is zoned for an eatery and there should be no problems relocating it.

Lombard also said he bought the diner partly for gastronomical reasons.

"We enjoy going to Milford Diner for breakfast, and it was a little self serving," Lombard said. "We love the blueberry pancakes."

Sekelski described Lombard as a "knight in shining armor and a savior."

She said Mema has been extremely anxious about the future of his diner.

"That back booth is his security blanket, he needs to interact with the customers," Sekelski said. "Right now he thinks he’s a failure."
Diner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Highway Hangouts:Eat and Run 2004/12/13 01:37:31 (permalink)
After his 2nd try Roadside Magazine or By the Way Magazine has gone On It's Way and is no longer published. I think your correct about Garbins "mean little man" way of treating people..
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1