Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ

Author
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
2008/10/04 17:37:32 (permalink)

Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ

Higley Hot Dogs 16705 E Williams Field Rd, Higley AZ is a picture of true roadfood. Higley is a small dot on the map SE the Phoenix suburbs. The Ramshackle building appears to be a former roadside produce stand that was later enclosed and painted in the bright yellow and red colors of the Vienna Beef Co. And that's what they serve. It's a walkup with outdoor picnic tables sitting on a concrete slab that hasn't been painted in at least 20 years and a dirt parking lot next to the road. The ceiling height in the building is, at best, 7 feet! The Polish Heritage folks who own it came from Wisconsin and so a Polish Sausage is on the menu too. Their hot dogs include all the classic trimmings, Chicago dogs, Kraut, Chili, etc., their fries are hot, and their shakes are homemade. They make a Black Cow Milkshake that's outstanding. They offer other stuff too like Tacos.
I had their Chili with onions. The Chili was a canned chili with beans and the onions were fresh cut, medium size chunks on a Vienna Poppy Seed Roll. The dog was a 5/1 all beef skinless. The tab was $4.30 tax included and that also included a 24 oz fountian drink.

The place is a flashback in time when Higley was a rural farm community; a crossroads with a small post office, a general store and that's about it. Now the Urban sprawl of the Phoenix/Valley of the Sun is encroching on the land in that area that once was 100% agricultural.
I hope the joint does not succumb to the Bull Dozer.

10 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18659
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/04 19:32:46 (permalink)
    I guess I'd skip the chili, but I love the way you describe the place. It sounds like a place I'd really enjoy. I'll tell my daughter about it. She lives in Scottsdale.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/05 03:25:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I guess I'd skip the chili, but I love the way you describe the place. It sounds like a place I'd really enjoy. I'll tell my daughter about it. She lives in Scottsdale.

Depending where she lives in Scottsdale, it's probably 35-40 miles South & East. From Scottsdale, take 101 South to Rt 60, East on 60 about 9-10 miles to Higley Rd, South on Higley Rd about 5 miles to Williams Field Rd. It sits 100 yards to the west of the intersection on the SW Corner of Higley & Williams Field Rd.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6315
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/05 07:20:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

Higley Hot Dogs 16705 E Williams Field Rd, Higley AZ is a picture of true roadfood. Higley is a small dot on the map SE the Phoenix suburbs. The Ramshackle building appears to be a former roadside produce stand that was later enclosed and painted in the bright yellow and red colors of the Vienna Beef Co. And that's what they serve. It's a walkup with outdoor picnic tables sitting on a concrete slab that hasn't been painted in at least 20 years and a dirt parking lot next to the road. The ceiling height in the building is, at best, 7 feet! The Polish Heritage folks who own it came from Wisconsin and so a Polish Sausage is on the menu too. Their hot dogs include all the classic trimmings, Chicago dogs, Kraut, Chili, etc., their fries are hot, and their shakes are homemade. They make a Black Cow Milkshake that's outstanding. They offer other stuff too like Tacos.
    I had their Chili with onions. The Chili was a canned chili with beans and the onions were fresh cut, medium size chunks on a Vienna Poppy Seed Roll. The dog was a 5/1 all beef skinless. The tab was $4.30 tax included and that also included a 24 oz fountian drink.

The place is a flashback in time when Higley was a rural farm community; a crossroads with a small post office, a general store and that's about it. Now the Urban sprawl of the Phoenix/Valley of the Sun is encroching on the land in that area that once was 100% agricultural.

I see that happening all over Phoenix...my folks bought a home in Glendale,near an orchard...back in 1980...today that area is just an extension of the large city called the valley of the sun!!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18659
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/05 10:37:21 (permalink)
    Thank you Foodbme.
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 448
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/05 10:50:07 (permalink)
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/07 09:01:46 (permalink)

Looks like someone got there for the pic before me, Jim.

Now that I have seen the picture, I know the place you are talking about. Driven by it numerous times, never stopped in.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it out!
    MGWerks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/07 21:42:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

Foodbme,
    Thanks for the review, but thanks also for the memories of Higley. I lived on Williams when it was still a base, and went through there daily back in the day. I had a friend named Ron that had an auto repair place on the corner there in Higley. Sadly the cotton fields and orchards are but memories now. If it is still there next trip out, I'll be eating there.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/07 23:04:15 (permalink)
    Story & slide show for your reading pleasure. http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/page/slideshowfull/1315/1

CSD PhD Professor of Hot Dogs
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/09 01:18:34 (permalink)
    Solidly informative report there, Foodbme. You dotted all your hot dog review i’s and crossed all your t’s by noting the brand (Vienna Beef), composition (all-beef), size (5-to- a- lb.), style (skinless), condiment offerings and price.

All too often hot dog assessors fail to include that all-important info I need before venturing forth. Hopefully the absence of preparation method (grilled, steamed, fried?) won’t be noticed by that overly picky Pulitzer Committee.

The roadhouse look is definitely appealing. Good show.

The Bear
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Higley Hot Dogs, Higley AZ 2008/10/09 03:02:04 (permalink)
    acer2x - Thank You for the picture! You caught a nice AZ sunset too! Your Info has you listed as being from Ambler PA. Are you out here now??

CSD - Thank You for the write-up

Screen Bear - Thank You for the street cred. The Dogs were either Steamed or Dirty Water Dogs. Definitely not grilled or fried. If they had a grill, they'ed probably burn the place down!

MGWerks- The old Williams Air Base is enjoying a re-birth! The Airport Authority is spending $$$$ Millions on the base and surrounding area to attract aviation related business and industry. Several Aircraft Manufacturers are building Repair, Maintenance and Testing facilities there. ASU has a Polytechnology campus there with several thousand students as well and several airlnes are flying out of there with Allegiant being the largest. The passenger terminal is getting a total overhaul. They've re-named it the Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport or something like that to give it better name recognition. The powers that be are predicting that it will be to Sky Harbor what Midway is to O'Hare in a short period of time. The East Valley now extends into Pinal County and soon will reach all the way to Florence! You won't recognize the area if you come out here, however, some of the old Military Base Buildings are still standing and being used!! Some Military flights still come in there for refueling and Luke AFB uses it for Touch & Go's!

Thanks again to all for your participation.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1