Hills Snappy Service

Author
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2005/11/19 01:11:51 (permalink)

Hills Snappy Service

Anyone remember them? There used to be 3 or 4 of them in downtown Anderson Indiana back in the 50's and 60's. They had a small burger kind of like White Castle. I remember they had fresh pies. They were very small places with a few bar stools at the counter and a couple of booths. I know that they were is several other towns in Indiana, not sure about other states.

Butch

4 Replies Related Threads

JJGRANT
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Hills Snappy Service 2013/02/24 22:55:01 (permalink)
    There were only 2 Hills Snappy Service restaurants in Anderson.   One on 11th St next to the side door of JC Pennys.     The other one was next to Montgomery Wards on Meridian St.   It was torn down first.    The one on 11th stayed open until the 70's.
    post edited by JJGRANT - 2013/04/17 18:22:55
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    Re:Hills Snappy Service 2013/02/25 08:17:34 (permalink)
    JJGRANT-
    Welcome to Roadfood!  And replying to a question that has been unanswered for over seven years.  Nicely done!
    JJGRANT
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Hills Snappy Service 2013/04/17 18:24:43 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

JJGRANT-
    Welcome to Roadfood!  And replying to a question that has been unanswered for over seven years.  Nicely done!

Thanks
    HillsSnappyService
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Hills Snappy Service 2014/02/02 02:58:30 (permalink)
    Paul C Hill was my grandfather, founder of Hills Snappy Service.  I am named after him, Paul R Hill, his grandson age 40 in San Diego.  Both my grandfather and father have passed away but my dads brother Mike Hill is still alive and full of Hills Snappy Service stories.  I was given a book about fast food restaurants pre-McDonalds and Hills Snappy Service had about 4-5 pages worth in the middle of the book.  I can dig it out and find the name of the book later and post it for you all. 

What's funny is that I grew up not knowing anything about Hills Snappy Service until recently about 5-6 years ago, I was told about a few small stories but still not much.  My dad told me about painting the outside of one.  He mentioned his friends thought he was cool because after school he could treat them to free burgers and soda.  I heard a little about my great granddad and how he ran his franchise and how my granddad ran the business into the ground.  Basically they did not survive because of the Jehovahs Witness belief that we are living in the end times, etc and when the economy takes a dive or there is war, the congregations really think "this must be it" and with that mentality, my granddad spent more time preaching and less time keeping up with the times.  He also did not add drive thru windows which at the time all the new fast food burger food chains had them.  So that's about it in a nutshell.  If there was one, I would be running it :) 

Another ironic thing is that I sell steaks (and steak burgers) see my facebook web page under GRILL TIME FOODS which is a food delivery service here in San Diego, CA.  I always wondered why had a good knack for selling comfort food ... well, it turns out, it was always in my blood. 

Basically my great grand dad owned a hardware store and things were boring, yet just down the street the first White Castle was booming and the idea was born to start and pretty much copy their idea ... even their slogan it seems.  Buy em buy the sack! 

Hills Snappy Service seems like a good name for the 40's -70's but a little old fashioned for me to take on the name for my business, although I often thought about it ... then I could say a family business Since 1945!  I forget what exact year it was but it was the year the first White Castle came to be. 

That's about it for now  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1