Hiring phase 1--HELP!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
prisonchef
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
RE: Hiring phase 1--HELP! 2006/08/22 18:19:20 (permalink)
doggydaddy,
i love the culinary school grad listing. i was 40 when i went to culinary school and was 42 when i got out. i used the culinary school grad thing to hoist them by their own pithards (heck that crossbeam on big sailing ships) neat job too. was la-la land. exec dining room for a major bank. foie gras no problem. bank pres wants truffles no problem. just fly the plane to france get the goods and back they came!!!!
i wanted to grow so i gave myself a big challenge. start a bbq operation from scratch. game rules are no loans. no loans of any kind. a grant well hey that would be ok. the trip has been long,strange and difficult so far. but it darned sure has been fun!!!!!
kate,
you are right. they are some jobs where a decision has to made on the suitablitity of the person. is it fair? not really. is it business??? darned sure is. and if the right business decision can be made then it stands to reason that the unsuitable person for one job just maybe the dream employee for a different job and since the facility is doing well that gives the freedom to slot this person in and keep her/him/it working and productive. by the way, keeping fat grumpy guys in the back is a good move but you left out keeping airheaded waitresses away from the grump at major lunch slams while grump is unloading a food shipment and turning out food faster than the airheads can deliver it. on second thought, what joyous day it was. little teeny boppers losing their little minds,finding out that their looks mean nothing when it comes to grumps, orders going to wrong tables, the Gen Manager laffing and going "go chef,go!!!" and the owner dealing with crying waitresses. i tell ya it was a grand day simply grand!!!! heck i may even break out my old chef's whites tomorrow since i am working with the GM again!!!!!!!
baconman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Hiring phase 1--HELP! 2006/08/22 18:50:48 (permalink)
Hire who you want, fire them if incompetent, if you hire a servre who looks like Quasimodo, but gets the job done, treat them well.
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Hiring phase 1--HELP! 2006/08/23 08:40:54 (permalink)
===i love the culinary school grad listing. i was 40 when i went to culinary school and was 42 when i got out. i used the culinary school grad thing to hoist them by their own pithards (heck that crossbeam on big sailing ships) neat job too. was la-la land.====

I felt that I knew enough coupled with pride, and that kept me out. I was working in great, quality kitchens and felt that I was learning and working in a manner that was allowing me to grow and learn. I was working in kitchens and with chefs that were among the best in the Bay Area. Hey, that region is la-la land

Still, I knew that I needed to get a better understanding on food and cost control management and took night courses at CCI for that. I plan on taking another course on small business managementin the near future. But at 50, I do not have the desire to try to attain that level of culinary expertise.

====i wanted to grow so i gave myself a big challenge. start a bbq operation from scratch. game rules are no loans. no loans of any kind. a grant well hey that would be ok. the trip has been long,strange and difficult so far. but it darned sure has been fun!!!!!===

I have similar goals too. I know that you have stepped back in some ways and you are just cooking full time with the ability to leave when the shift is done. This is where I am at for the moment.
Getting the money is possible from different ways, but my brother has pointed out that there are some very attractive business loans available to veterans. But whether it is grants, loans or -inheritence, I want to make sure that I go into my future with knowledge that will help me from making mistakes. I have made enough in the past...

I have some ideas as to what I want to do, but I also have another 'long strange trip' ahead of me as I plan on leaving Connecticut within a year or two. New Mexico or California beckons...

But your comment saying that it has been fun holds true to me. I enjoy this business and as a possible owner, I would want to create a fun environment.

mark
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1