Hoagie in Tunkhannock, PA

Author
Oldlowe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
2007/05/26 19:01:51 (permalink)

Hoagie in Tunkhannock, PA

Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania is about 30 miles west of Wilkes-Barre on U.S. 6. I can't get there this weekend, but somebody ought to eat one of the wonderful Italian Hoagies made by the Downtown Deli. Downtown Deli is about 1/2 block east of the traffic signal on OLD route 6. Their super Italian Hoagie (as opposed to the small or large) is made with a loaf of real Italian bread. It is about 18" long and 4-5" wide. They automatically cut these into thirds, but will make 6 if you ask nicely. They make other varieties, and they seem to be popular, but I dream--I lust--for their Italian Hoagie.

4 Replies Related Threads

ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Hoagie in Tunkhannock, PA 2007/05/26 22:22:37 (permalink)
    I'd be interested to know whose cold cuts they use. Whether it's fairly local, national brands (i.e. -Boars Head),or, a combination thereof.
    Otherwise, anything special about the condiments, vegetables?
    The Bear
    Oldlowe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 64
    RE: Hoagie in Tunkhannock, PA 2007/05/27 13:48:43 (permalink)
    Sorry, I don't know the brands of meats. There are no salamis hanging on strings. They are close enough to deli central to have good brands available. I do know it's good. My main point was that it is not the narrow sandwich that some were complaining about. Also, it's in that culinary desert that is northeastern Pennsylvania. It would be nice if someone driving to Texas would stop by and bring one my way.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Hoagie in Tunkhannock, PA 2007/05/28 12:22:29 (permalink)
    Don't know about hoagies here, but know about Tunkhannock - great memories of a childhood vacation where we had a "Farm Stay" - a week for us city girls of Brooklyn staying on a dairy farm in Tunkhannock - so we found out that milk doesn't originally come from cartons....
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Hoagie in Tunkhannock, PA 2007/05/28 17:04:29 (permalink)
    Hey, Oldlowe, I work withing walking distance of the Downtown Deli. They make a good sandwich.

Twig's, 2 blocks away, makes an excellent burger, hand pressed and available medium rare if you ask nicely.

Sicilia, across the street and a block down, makes a couple nice items; the fritatta with asparagus and prosciutto and the Deluxe sub with Genoa salami, pepperoni, sopressota and prosciutto with provolone, l/t/o, and italian dressing; I wrote them up here about 2 years ago. He's been skimping and stretching hte budget though, and IMO the quality has gone downhill recently.

Pompeii and Full Belly Deli are decent enough, with my nod going to Pompeii as better; and the chicken wing pizza at Angelo's is really good, too. Vesuvio makes a nice set of pizza/calzone/stromboli.

And NEPA isn't a culinary wasteland when it comes to Roadfood; it's idiosyncratic, but that's part of what I think roadfood is. Best part is coming up, from June through September all the church and firehouse bazaars.

Tom,
    who has eaten some meals in Tunkhannock and likes it there
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1